• Old school advice to pitchers: just pitch

FPG-Getty Images, 1935
    Elden Auker never threw more
    than 263 2/3 innings, but he
    completed 126 of his 261 major
    league starts.

FRANK NAVIN taught Elden Auker a
    simple lesson when Auker was a 22-
    year-old rookie with the Detroit Tigers.

Navin was the Tigers' owner, and when Auker was promoted to the big-league team in 1933, Auker said the owner told him:

"Elden, we're bringing you up here as a starting pitcher. We think you have an opportunity to be a major league pitcher. I don't have a lot of money. My philosophy for starting pitchers is when they give you the ball, I expect you to pitch nine innings. I can't afford to pay you to start a ballgame and pay three or four others to finish it."

Auker, at 95 one of the oldest living former major leaguers, related the story the other day to make a point during a telephone discussion of pitching practices then and now. He says he doesn't care for current practices and believes they are responsible for the increase in the number of sore arms.

Pitchers, Auker said, don't throw enough and they don't run enough. Throwing often, he asserted, strengthens arms, and running strengthens legs, which are a key to pitching.
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
    Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
    THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
    Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

I'll second that advice

Comment

you guys must be seasoned professionals because that's probably the only ones who should be giving advice to other seasoned professionals

Comment

Originally posted by bkmckenna
        you guys must be seasoned professionals because that's probably the only ones who should be giving advice to other seasoned professionals
        Who said you need to be a seasoned pro to recognize good advice. Now if it was one of us giving the initial advice (especially on a subject well beyond our areas of expertise), I'd tend to agree with you.
        Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
        Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
        THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
        Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X