X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zito75
    replied
    Originally posted by digglahhh
    You wanna go out on a limb and make a cool pick- how about predicting that Santana will not only win the Cy, but the MVP too?...
    Or Liriano, and the ROY to boot!

Leave a comment:

• plask_stirlac
    replied
    How's that campaign? He's the Howard Dean of the 2006 MVP race, I guess.

Leave a comment:

• Honus Wagner Rules
    replied
    Originally posted by Astro
    Crosby was the AL Rookie of the Year in 2004 I do believe...

How is that not doing anything YET?
    Yes, but he won the RoY while hitting .239. How is that impressive? :o

Leave a comment:

• digglahhh
    replied
    One undeserved MVP per Oakland shortstop per decade please.

Also going out on a limb is fine, but not doing it for its own sake. Hey Dan Miceli for MVP- its "out on a limb."

Travis Hafner, Grady Sizemore, Jim Thome, are all picks that have sufficient "out on a limb-ness" that are also plausible.

You wanna go out on a limb and make a cool pick- how about predicting that Santana will not only win the Cy, but the MVP too?...

Leave a comment:

• Captain Cold Nose
    replied
    Hockey should go back on strike... who cares about hockey, I know 95% of the country doesnt
    No, you really don't know that. Nice try, though.

Leave a comment:

• DoubleX
    replied
    Originally posted by Zito75
    ...after being spiked by Cano.
    It's part of the game, especially being a SS covering the bag. Hopefully he'll be back in the lineup tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

• Zito75
    replied
    Originally posted by DoubleX
    left the game with a wrist injury.
    ...after being spiked by Cano.

Leave a comment:

• DoubleX
    replied
    You're right... lets give the MVPs to Albert Pujols and Chris Shelton... theyre on pace for 324 homeruns in a single season!
    Interesting how you make a post yesterday riddled with pot-shots at me and insinuations that I am an under-educated homer, and then only respond to this post of mine instead of my previous posts in which I at length lay out why history is not on Crosby's side... Way to be selective fella... If you're going to disrespectfully insinuate the crap that you did, you better be able to back that up and not just pick and choose your battles.
    Last edited by DoubleX; 04-03-2006, 09:52 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Astro
    replied
    Originally posted by DoubleX
    Crosby's MVP campaign is not off to a great start. He went 0-2 with a K, made an error in the field, and left the game with a wrist injury.
    You're right... lets give the MVPs to Albert Pujols and Chris Shelton... theyre on pace for 324 homeruns in a single season!

Leave a comment:

• DoubleX
    replied
    Crosby's MVP campaign is not off to a great start. He went 0-2 with a K, made an error in the field, and left the game with a wrist injury.

Leave a comment:

• Astro
    replied
    Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose
    Crosby's a rookie, he's getting all that press with Mario. What do you expect? He's the second best rookie this year.
    Now that Bobby Crosby. Fine player. Ways to go before mentioning his name among the elite yet.
    Hockey should go back on strike... who cares about hockey, I know 95% of the country doesnt
    Last edited by Captain Cold Nose; 04-04-2006, 07:53 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Captain Cold Nose
    replied
    Originally posted by wilkerson_rulz
    Crosby is a self-centered player.
    Ovechkin will definetely win the Calder

EDIT: Why are we talking about hockey again?
    Care to join in Scott?
    Crosby's a rookie, he's getting all that press with Mario. What do you expect? He's the second best rookie this year.
    Now that Bobby Crosby. Fine player. Ways to go before mentioning his name among the elite yet.

Leave a comment:

• Taco De Muerte
    replied
    I dont get what you're going on about...

You asked in the original post what they saw in him, people have told you yet you continue to bash him...

It doesnt really seem to me that you want to know why people picked him, but want to say how dumb of a pick it is... thats fine, but dont ask what they see in him then when people tell you why they picked him you just ignore what they say...

And to address Peralta, Howard and Cabrera... Peralta and Howard are in their sophomore seasons, these seasons normally are much lower than their rookie seasons due to pitchers adjusting to their weakness, and if they can not adjust they fair badly...

Cabrera is on Florida who will not even have a winning record this season, thus taking him out of MVP consideration unless he posts extremly good numbers.. and with little protection he wont have much of a chance
    For the second time, I'm not doubting that crosby has potential. But as others have pointed out, he really hasn't proven YET that he's capable of a season worthy of MVP consideration. There are many other young players and pitchers who have put up numbers before to make us think that they are capable of mvp/cyyoung caliber seasons this year.

Crosby hasn't done that yet, but that doesn't mean he won't.

Leave a comment:

• wilkerson_rulz-06
    replied
    Originally posted by scootermojo
    sydney crosby is pretty good but i think alexander olvechkin will win the rookie of the year and will be mvp when they put a better team around him in the future...oh, sorry, wrong sport!
    Crosby is a self-centered player.
    Ovechkin will definetely win the Calder

EDIT: Why are we talking about hockey again?
    Care to join in Scott?

Leave a comment:

• DoubleX
    replied
    Originally posted by ESPNFan
    Well in all fairness you did list Posada as a MVP candidate
    Yeah I admit that was one of the selections I questioned most and was hoping to slide by (Rod Barajas is another that comes to mind). In my defense though, the list was only meant to be representative of players who at this point stand just as likely a chance as Crosby, based on history and potential for 2006, to win the MVP award. Posada is in decline and his 3rd place MVP finish in 2003 is longer ago than it seems. Still, he does have plenty of pop left in his bat, he will post an excellent OBP for a catcher, he will see more action at DH because the Yankees are carrying three catchers so that should help Posada hit better over the season (he has a tendency to wear down in the 2nd half, like almost all catchers do), and he is a catcher where offense is usually at premium and can be rewarded in the MVP balloting. Still, I have no illusions that he'll win the award.

As for Crosby, I think it's certainly very realistic that he'll place in the top 15, and perhaps even top 10 in the MVP voting. That would be very indicative of the stepping-stone type of year I'm talking about (like Tejada in 2001). He would just have to make such a monumental leap at this point to win the MVP, and given what he's done, that kind of huge leap is just very, very rare in baseball history. So realistically, I think Crosby can definitely establish himself this year and put him in position to make that MVP jump next year, but from all I know about him (which is apparently not a lot in the estimation of some members here) I don't think he'll ever become an MVP caliber player. All-Star certainly.

A SS has to have a pretty darn special season to win the MVP in today's environment, and I don't see what sets Crosby apart so much from Peralta or Young and a few other guys around the league. In today's environment, for a SS to win the MVP they have to put up A-Rod and Tejada like numbers - I don't think Crosby can hit .300+ with 35+ homeruns and 130+ RBI; and that's what it will likely take to win the MVP in today's conditions (plus he doesn't steal bases, so no bonus points there ).
    Last edited by DoubleX; 04-03-2006, 12:07 AM.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X