X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sultan_1895-1948
    replied
    Originally posted by BadKarma
    I like that quote, not sure what it has to do with baseball records, but I like it. Churchill was referring to the fact that it is the people who win the wars, not lose them, that get to write history. Yer still one of my favs on here though I just couldn't resist getting one in on ya about the Bambino
    No prob. I expect to take some ribbing since I like to dish it out.

I like that quote too. I think of it when people bring up how the media created Babe and his legend. Realistically, he could not have become, what he became, without them. No matter how friendly, or generous, or great on the field, they certainly pushed things over the top for him.

However, he gave them the material to work with. For instance, he might hit a screaming homer off the facade of the Polo Grounds roof. It was just a homer, but it was done in a manner never seen before. So these writers would exaggerate by saying stuff like "he ripped the metal off the roof" and "they would have needed to put an extra outfielder on the roof." So they took things overboard, and everyone across the country read these things. Writers started to try and out-do eachother with their recaps. Train stations in obscure towns would be packed just to catch a glimpse of this guy they had been reading about. Towns called holidays. New fans were coming. The point being, without the base from which to build, the exaggerations wouldn't have been possible. He wrote his own history by being who he was and playing like he did, so it's kind to him. If that makes any sense.

Leave a comment:

• BadKarma
    replied
    I like that quote, not sure what it has to do with baseball records, but I like it. Churchill was referring to the fact that it is the people who win the wars, not lose them, that get to write history. Yer still one of my favs on here though I just couldn't resist getting one in on ya about the Bambino

Leave a comment:

• Sultan_1895-1948
    replied
    Ya, he's not mentioned in enough records as it is
    ummmm....you gotta point. However, I think it was Winston Churchill who once said, "History will be kind to me, for I intend to write it."

Leave a comment:

• BadKarma
    replied
    Ya, he's not mentioned in enough records as it is

Leave a comment:

• Sultan_1895-1948
    replied
    Originally posted by csh19792001
    Rollins got his hit- 8th inning lined shot double past Pujols off of Adam Wainright (who was throwing some nasty stuff, I might add).

Congrats Jimmy- keep it up!!

Longest hitting streaks in baseball history:

1. Joe DiMaggio, New York (A), 1941 (56)
    T2. Pete Rose, Cincinnati, 1978 (44)
    T2. *Willie Keeler, Baltimore (N), 1897 (44)*
    4. *Bill Dahlen, Chicago (N), 1894 (42)*

5. George Sisler, St. Louis (A), 1922 (41)
    6. Ty Cobb, Detroit, 1911 (40)
    7. Paul Molitor, Milwaukee, 1987 (39)
    T8. Jimmy Rollins, Philadelphia, 2005-2006 (37)
    T8. Tommy Holmes, Boston (N), 1945 (37)

Rollins now has the longest streak by any shortstop in baseball history and the second longest in National League history (under modern rules).
    Chris, you couldn't have thrown a little love to GHR, and lengthened the list to 26 games?

Leave a comment:

• Nails
    replied
    Dang it!! I knew I shoulda had him in my fantasy line-up
    I got burned by that as well, in multiple leagues.

Leave a comment:

• BadKarma
    replied
    Originally posted by Astro
    And on a more impressive note: Chris Shelton is currently 3-3 with 2 HRs

Dang it!! I knew I shoulda had him in my fantasy line-up

Leave a comment:

• DoubleX
    replied
    I don't know if this has already been said, but I just heard on Baseball Tonight that Rollins' hit, which came on a 3-0 pitch, was only the second time in his career that he's swung at a 3-0 pitch.

Leave a comment:

• west coast orange and black
    replied
    sittin' on the streak for 6 months, then having it come down to one last at-bat.

quite an achievement.

Leave a comment:

• Sultan_1895-1948
    replied
    Originally posted by Imapotato
    No the Philly Pitchers are freaks

I was holding my breathe wiyh gameday on...well not holding my breath, actually swearing with it as they scored 13 freaking runs

Whoever was stupid enough to pick the Phillies to make the playoffs should watch that game nonstop for a week
    Funny how they moved the fences back 5 feet, as if that would make a difference. That park is one big friekin' wind tunnel !!

Leave a comment:

• Imapotato
    replied
    Originally posted by csh19792001
    On an even more impressive note, Pujols went 2-2 with 2 HR (including an upper deck shot), to go with 2 walks. He scored 3 and drove in 4.

His OPS is 4.800

He's a freak.
    No the Philly Pitchers are freaks

I was holding my breathe wiyh gameday on...well not holding my breath, actually swearing with it as they scored 13 freaking runs

Whoever was stupid enough to pick the Phillies to make the playoffs should watch that game nonstop for a week

Leave a comment:

• Sultan_1895-1948
    replied
    Originally posted by Mattingly
    He's a Super Freak! Super Freak!
    [Insert Rick James tunes here]
    "It's such a freaky scene..."
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Sultan_1895-1948; 04-03-2006, 08:40 PM.

Leave a comment:

• RedSoxVT92
    replied
    Now all Jimmy needs is 20 more games with a hit, which wont be too easy.

Leave a comment:

• ZR56664
    replied
    congrats

Im happy for Jimmy. Congratulations!
    Last edited by ZR56664; 04-03-2006, 03:42 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Mattingly
    replied
    Originally posted by Sultan_1895-1948
    Indeed. Love that guy. A friekin' machine!!
    He's a Super Freak! Super Freak!
    [Insert Rick James tunes here]

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X