X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sultan_1895-1948
    replied
    Originally posted by FrenchyLefebvre
    Think that was Dallas' Michael Irvin (sp?), Sultan.
    To the Eagles fans "credit", at least they save most of their wrath for the opposing team (unlike the Phillies).

He probably is, too. Michael Jack = IMO, the best illustration as to why no Phillies phan can really take exception to Astro's statement.
    It was the "playmaker," you're right.

Philly fans are brutal, in all sports. Their hockey fans treated Lindros pretty bad.

Like most fans, they like to build you up and tear you down. It's part of our culture for some reason.

Leave a comment:

• FrenchyLefebvre
    replied
    Originally posted by Sultan_1895-1948
    Didn't Eagles fans cheer when an opposing player broke his leg or something? They're pretty brutal in your neck of the woods. Schmitty's probably still seeing a therapist because of them
    Think that was Dallas' Michael Irvin (sp?), Sultan.
    To the Eagles fans "credit", at least they save most of their wrath for the opposing team (unlike the Phillies).

He probably is, too. Michael Jack = IMO, the best illustration as to why no Phillies phan can really take exception to Astro's statement.

Leave a comment:

• RedSoxVT92
    replied
    38 straight games is no easy feat. but I didnt think he could make it and id happen to agree that the media made it seem like he had a 55 hit streak. Anywyas he should be proud of a 38 game hitting streak. But usaully its a relife when some one gets a streak over with because all the pressure is off of them and they perform better.

Leave a comment:

• DoubleX
    replied
    Amazing what he did, but I didn't really think he had much of a shot. The media was treating it like he was on the verge of passing DiMaggio. He'd still need a three week hit streak to start this season to make it - no small feat at all. Amazing what Rollins did, but I think the media (ahem, ESPN) lost sight of just how far-reaching this record really is.

Leave a comment:

• SoxSon
    replied
    Congrats to Rollins for getting as far as he did.

Leave a comment:

• Francoeurstein
    replied
    His streak just ended...

Leave a comment:

• Sultan_1895-1948
    replied
    Originally posted by FrenchyLefebvre
    Hey, just one minute there! I'm a born & raised Philadelphian, would go to 80% of Phils home games a season throughout the '80s, so MUST say to you:

Um, would that be the Phils ownership since late 1981? Fans booing their own players out of the park? Or both?
    :o

I'd be hoping he does it. Because I could go to Vegas and bet the house, the car & the dog on the Phillies organization finding a way to make him an ex-Phil before long. Or, at least, making news all winter trying to.

(Phillies ownership & ways = just too predictable).
    Didn't Eagles fans cheer when an opposing player broke his leg or something? They're pretty brutal in your neck of the woods. Schmitty's probably still seeing a therapist because of them

Leave a comment:

• FrenchyLefebvre
    replied
    Originally posted by Astro
    but I would not like a Phillie to because the city of Philadelphia is a disgrace of a sports city
    Hey, just one minute there! I'm a born & raised Philadelphian, would go to 80% of Phils home games a season throughout the '80s, so MUST say to you:

Um, would that be the Phils ownership since late 1981? Fans booing their own players out of the park? Or both?
    :o

I'd be hoping he does it. Because I could go to Vegas and bet the house, the car & the dog on the Phillies organization finding a way to make him an ex-Phil before long. Or, at least, making news all winter trying to.

(Phillies ownership & ways = just too predictable).

Leave a comment:

• the pyromaniac
    replied
    Originally posted by Cubsfan97
    I root for any streak that gets to 30 because its fun to follow and if someone eventually breaks it then I will watch it and be able to say I watched it, since I wern't alive to see DiMaggios.
    That's pretty much my take on it too... I've always respected Rollins' work ethic and how he gets the most out of the abilities he has, even though he's not an Albert Pujols or an Andruw Jones. And then there's the added benefit of seeing a record broken that's been held by a Yankee. I'm always up for that!

On the other hand, I'm hoping for a freak season-ending injury for a certain left fielder from the west coast, followed by photographic evidence of steroid use and a Pete Rose-style lifetime ban (as opposed to the Steve Howe version of the lifetime ban, where he was still pitching 7 years after said lifetime suspension).

Leave a comment:

• mojorisin71
    replied
    I'll be rooting against him this weekend (he's playing the Dodgers at home).

And if he does get to 56 (or somewhere close), it would be as big a debate as to whether or not 60 HR in a 154-game season is better than hitting 61 in 162 games.

Leave a comment:

• Rennie Stennett
    replied
    hit it were they ain't

Don't forget the National League Record. He has to break that before he can touch Joe D's record. This is what's great about baseball; something like this, you can follow everyday...

Leave a comment:

• BoSox Rule
    replied
    Of course. I won't be all torn up if he doesn't break the record, obviously, but it would be cool to watch.

However, a huge part of me has no desire to argue whether or not a two-season streak is worthy even though it is arguably a lot more impressive.

Leave a comment:

• The Dude
    replied
    At least he got it out of the way quick!

Leave a comment:

• Nails
    replied
    38 and counting...

Leave a comment:

• Erik Bedard
    replied
    I root for all records that don't involve homers to be broken, because, with homers, there's always the whole steroid issue, is he taking it, is he not taking it. I like records that are about batting average and hit streaks and RBIs because then it's more skill and less strength.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X