• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baseball Prospectus: Sick of Steroids Already

April 4, 2006
    Under The Knife
    Sick of Steroids Already

by Will Carroll

Jon Miller says that Opening Day means “every slate is clean, every playing field is level.” I can only wish that were true throughout the game. I realize it seems hypocritical for someone who has written a book about steroids to say he’s sick of the steroids story, but I am. Misinformation is flying, players are still finding ways to get their edge, and in the end, the game remains the game. It doesn’t matter what the Mitchell Commission finds, what memos might or might not mean (answer: nothing). Without intentionally echoing Mark McGwire, talking about the past accomplishes nothing.

Let me make it clearer. We can’t bring Taylor Hooton back to life, we can’t bring home runs back in the park, and no wink-nudge commercial about shrinking balls will accomplish what we need. We need a strong, no BS campaign of education, research, and public relations. We need an independent body controlling the drug testing because the fans don’t trust anyone in power to do it on their own, whether or not the new policy is strong enough. Let me try and make this even clearer: find me one owner--just one--that will stand up and say that he’ll enforce a stronger drug policy. It would be within an employer’s rights to modify the basic player contract to allow for this before signing. Find me one player that will publicize his drug testing results, making his own Athlete’s Passport if MLB won’t adopt the policy for everyone. Until we find men of character willing to stand up and be accountable, we’ll continue to hear whispers without fact, convictions without evidence, and pointing to players with nothing more than “he looks juiced” any time it's convenient and, more importantly, not our guy.

We need one more thing--fans that will stand up and say “Prove it” the next time the media thinks it can pontificate
    http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...articleid=4937

No one would like to comment on this? This is what I have been trying to do for the past months, people who just pick a player based on apperance and say they are steroid users, without any solid proof

Comment

"find me one owner--just one--that will stand up and say that he’ll enforce a stronger drug policy. It would be within an employer’s rights to modify the basic player contract to allow for this before signing."

Let's say 5 owners were willing to do this. It wouldn't matter unless all of them were willing to.

Wouldn't there be issues with the CBA as well?

Comment

"the game remains the game", indeed. different year, same emotions on opening day. same familiar bunting and pageantry. same smiles and laughter and bewilderment from kids' happy faces.

all is not lost, baseball fan.

but, if it's an honest man you seek to lead the way, just one, let's hope that he is a ceo of an oil company and he ponies up the rightful fines that his pollution spewing company put out into our air instead of the grand sum of zero dollars paid last year because "the refineries are capable of policing themselves".

or maybe the last honest man in america owns a business that has undocumented workers on its payroll and he steps forward to pay a fine for his illegal behavior. uh, better not count on it. last year, not one employer stepped forward to admit to such, and only four employers in the entire united states were fined for breaking the law in this manner.
        where has the outrage been for that? or, at the very least, the interest?

play ball.
        "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Comment

Originally posted by west coast orange and black
          where has the outrage been for that? or, at the very least, the interest?
          For some reason, it just doesn't hit the same nerve WC, and really, why would it. This is baseball we're talking about. [Insert Terrance Mann "by the bleachers" speech here]

Comment

^^ tongue-in-cheek, i know, bob, but you need some sleep nonetheless.
            "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Comment

Originally posted by west coast orange and black
              ^^ tongue-in-cheek, i know, bob, but you need some sleep nonetheless.
              who's bob, and what's with the sleep comment?

Comment

Your post occured at 5:38 am according to my time stamp, and your CT is Behemoth of Bing.

If I had to guess I would say those two things are being referred to.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big C
                  Your post occured at 5:38 am according to my time stamp, and your CT is Behemoth of Bing.

If I had to guess I would say those two things are being referred to.
                  1. I'm on the west coast, and my sleep pattern has no relevance to the post.

2. Never thought about the Bob thing. No offense to any Bob's out there, but I don't like that name. I'll have to take it up with ol' Tony boy asap I would change that little thing to Colossal of Clout, but then what would WC call me

Comment

Not sure of the CBA

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X