Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hurry up.

I can smell the smoke.
    "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
    Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Originally posted by runningshoes53
      And I'm done sparring with you.
      At least I can take you at your word
      Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
      Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

Hurry up.

I can smell the smoke.
        Originally posted by RuthMayBond
        At least I can take you at your word
        Ahem. Are we done yet?
        Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
        Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
        THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
        Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

"I wouldn't count on the same from Bonds" is an incomplete sentence.
          also, you know that it is an incomplete sentence yet you still posted it.

runningshoes53: Is that all you have left to resort to, Tony?

i do not understand how you missed my meaning of my post, runningshoes.
          it seems as though you took my words only literally, perhaps as me lecturing on grammar, and ignored or did not recognize my emotional plea.

here it is for you: what is more correct and more inclusive is "i wouldn't count on the same from bonds or from any number of hundreds of other players, including many players in the hall of fame."

for some reason, and maybe it is too complicated for you to describe your reason(s) here for me, you continue to direct your attention to bonds. and when doing so, you seem to be unable to not include a derrogatory reference or namecalling outright. why resort to a taunt usually reserved for children -- highschoolers -- by mentioning bonds' present batting average? does doing so make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside? if yes, why? seriously, man? do you really have that much extra energy?

what really puzzles me, though, is that after all this time you still have me as someone who defends bonds.

i guarantee you that you naming any other individual player instead of the proper collective would trigger the same reaction.

the difference, it seems, is that it is the name "bonds" that gets to you, and no one else's.
          have you figured out why this is?
          "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Comment

I must admit that it's nice to see the wind finally leaving your sails.

you truly have no idea what makes me tick or how much i got in the tank.

There was nothing else you could come back because you know damn well I'm right.

ok, i admit it. a very sincere "thank you" for the laugh this morning.
            i had a rough day yesterday -- opening day at the yard.
            "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Comment

Originally posted by west coast orange and black
              "I wouldn't count on the same from Bonds" is an incomplete sentence.
              also, you know that it is an incomplete sentence yet you still posted it.

runningshoes53: Is that all you have left to resort to, Tony?

i do not understand how you missed my meaning of my post, runningshoes.
              it seems as though you took my words only literally, perhaps as me lecturing on grammar, and ignored or did not recognize my emotional plea.

here it is for you: what is more correct and more inclusive is "i wouldn't count on the same from bonds or from any number of hundreds of other players, including many players in the hall of fame."

for some reason, and maybe it is too complicated for you to describe your reason(s) here for me, you continue to direct your attention to bonds. and when doing so, you seem to be unable to not include a derrogatory reference or namecalling outright. why resort to a taunt usually reserved for children -- highschoolers -- by mentioning bonds' present batting average? does doing so make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside? if yes, why? seriously, man? do you really have that much extra energy?

what really puzzles me, though, is that after all this time you still have me as someone who defends bonds.

i guarantee you that you naming any other individual player instead of the proper collective would trigger the same reaction.

the difference, it seems, is that it is the name "bonds" that gets to you, and no one else's.
              have you figured out why this is?
              I call it like I see it, Tony, and maybe I am unable to describe to you how Bonds, and all the other players who have dirtied the game I love, gives me a sick feeling in my stomach.

I have a deep love for this game and Bonds and players like him are taking that away from me.

I guess I just have a deep respect for what Aaron went through to break Ruth's record.

As for you not defending Bonds?

You can tell yourself you don't all you like; you haven't convinced me of that.

And as for my incomplete sentence...try not to be so cryptic; we don't reside in your mind.

And I ask only one thing of you: Please don't ask me to complete your thoughts with my sentences.
              Last edited by runningshoes; 04-07-2006, 09:32 AM.
              "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
              Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Originally posted by Mattingly
                Ahem. Are we done yet?
                My wife tells me I always have to have the last word.
                Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Originally posted by west coast orange and black
                  cg: i think when the time comes, those who cheated themselves and all of us by using illegal substances will also come clean.

when the time comes?
                  you mean in the future?

what, then, do you say of the players who used illegal drugs but are presently in the hall?
                  I think your main beef is that lots of guys cheated so why is everyone hating on Bonds - it's unfair, right?

But to use a completely hypothetical analogy:

Suppose someone stole the torch off the Statue of Liberty. People steal all sorts of things all the time. Some would say, "stealing is stealing, there's no difference". But when the thing you steal is cherished or admired by millions of people, it's only natural that people are going to hate you more than if you stole something smaller or less significant to a lot of people. So you can argue that you shouldn't hate someone more for stealing the Statue of Liberty's torch over someone stealing $10 from their mother's wallet because they're both the same wrong, but you'd lose the argument.

Bonds is about to steal the most cherished record in the book. It may not be more wrong than anything Gaylord Perry did - they're both cheaters, but it's just the difference between someone stealing the statue's torch, and someone stealing a candy bar from the corner gas station. Both equally wrong, but there's really no comparison. Like the difference between someone killing their neighbor and someone assasinating a head of state...same crime, right? Maybe it's unfair, but that's the way it is.

Comment

My wife tells me I always have to have the last word.
                    Is that when she asks if you have anything else to say, but you remain silent?

Listen to what your wife says, just as she should to you, be kind to her, treat her well, and try not getting in the last word all the time.
                    Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

Originally posted by Elvis9045
                      I think your main beef is that lots of guys cheated so why is everyone hating on Bonds - it's unfair, right?

But to use a completely hypothetical analogy:

Suppose someone stole the torch off the Statue of Liberty. People steal all sorts of things all the time. Some would say, "stealing is stealing, there's no difference". But when the thing you steal is cherished or admired by millions of people, it's only natural that people are going to hate you more than if you stole something smaller or less significant to a lot of people. So you can argue that you shouldn't hate someone more for stealing the Statue of Liberty's torch over someone stealing $10 from their mother's wallet because they're both the same wrong, but you'd lose the argument.

Bonds is about to steal the most cherished record in the book. It may not be more wrong than anything Gaylord Perry did - they're both cheaters, but it's just the difference between someone stealing the statue's torch, and someone stealing a candy bar from the corner gas station. Both equally wrong, but there's really no comparison. Like the difference between someone killing their neighbor and someone assasinating a head of state...same crime, right? Maybe it's unfair, but that's the way it is.
                      Then how is Bonds's steroid use different than any other player's steroid use? Why does Bonds get so much more heat than anyone else who used?
                      Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                      Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                      Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                      Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                      Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose
                        Then how is Bonds's steroid use different than any other player's steroid use? Why does Bonds get so much more heat than anyone else who used?
                        I think that what Elvis is trying to say is that because Bonds is about to do is take (or "steal") the big prize, that being Hank's #755. When he likened this to the torch on the Statue of Liberty, that was also the "big prize", as opposed to what he'd related to as "lesser" cheaters, of the Gaylord Perry variety.

Elvis, is that correct?

Comment

Why does Bonds get so much more heat than anyone else who used?
                          To be totally honest, I had no idea McGuire was using steroids when chasing Maris and if I had known that I would have been just as outraged as I am now.

McGuire, or anyone else who used, does not belong in the HOF.

And for the record: I don't equate steroids with amphetamines so the "everyone else was cheating" argument doesn't wash with me.
                          Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

I thought I just explained that. For the same reason that Mark David Chapman got "more heat" for killing John Lennon than Joe Blow did for killing Jane Doe in a lover's quarrel.
                            Last edited by Elvis; 04-07-2006, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mattingly
                              I think that what Elvis is trying to say is that because Bonds is about to do is take (or "steal") the big prize, that being Hank's #755. When he likened this to the torch on the Statue of Liberty, that was also the "big prize", as opposed to what he'd related to as "lesser" cheaters, of the Gaylord Perry variety.

Elvis, is that correct?
                              Yes, exactly. But...what have you done with Flanders?

Comment

Originally posted by Elvis9045
                                Yes, exactly. But...what have you done with Flanders?
                                At least I got the interpretation of your post correct.

Lost a bet with Zito75 in the Bitter Rivals thread, here under CE.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X