Cheerleaders at the ballgame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheerleaders at the ballgame

I went to the Reds=Pirates game Saturday and there were cheerleaders. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.
    Now I could have expected cheerleaders at the Reds home stadium (Riverfront Stadium) 5-6 years ago during fall and winter but not at this home stadium (GABP) during April. Go away you dang cheerleaders, baseball fans don't need you. Bring back the t-shirt and hot dog guns. Why isn't Gapper being killed by Mr. Red. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHh

Now that I got that out of the way, should there be cheerleaders at the Great American Pastime?
    Yes
    21.05%
    No
    78.95%
    Unlike most other team sports, in which teams usually have an equivalent number of players on the field at any given time, in baseball the hitting team is at a numerical disadvantage, with a maximum of 5 players and 2 base coaches on the field at any time, compared to the fielding team's 9 players. For this reason, leaving the dugout to join a fight is generally considered acceptable in that it results in numerical equivalence on the field, and a fairer fight.

Oh, for crying out loud!

I guess in some ways it's better than a big-headed furry or feathery thing, but NO!
    "Someone asked me if I took steroids. I said, 'No. I had a contract with Wheaties.'"
    --Bob Feller

Comment

At least it's decent looking women and not a bunch of drunken idiots doing the cheering...
      Best posts ever:
      Originally posted by nymdan
      Too... much... math... head... hurts...
      Originally posted by RuthMayBond
      I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

Originally posted by efin98
        At least it's decent looking women and not a bunch of drunken idiots doing the cheering...
        Hey I resemble that remark!!!!
        Get out the Vote!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ESPNFan
          Hey I resemble that remark!!!!
          That's not a good thing nor something I think should be applauded.
          Best posts ever:
          Originally posted by nymdan
          Too... much... math... head... hurts...
          Originally posted by RuthMayBond
          I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

What's next

Saw a bit if that on the tube; I guess if you have a team as crummy as the Reds you feel the need to draw a crowd with fluff. Baseball will survive in spite of such abominations, and I really love what Letterman said the other night: "I love the pine tar, the dirt, the rosin bag.....and that's just in the hot dogs."
            Baseball is a ballet without music. Drama without words ~Ernie Harwell

Comment

I was reading the current issue of FHM this weekend (the one featuring Mrs. Benson) and they mention that the Marlins will have "the Mermaids" this year as their cheer squad. I read a little of what they were doing and it reminded me of a minor league game I had been too. In between innings they would get on the dugout and do a dance routine (Y.M.C.A. or something like that) and try to get the crowd to participate, or use a funnelator and shoot t-shirts into the crowd. All-in-all it actually added to the game since during the action you did not even see them. If the Major League squads are going to introduce cheerleaders to the game I think it should be in this manner where there are there strictly to entertain and involve the crowd in between innings during the down time. Until I actually go to a game and witness it first hand I really do not have a strong opinion.
              I signed with the Milwaukee Braves for three-thousand dollars. That bothered my dad at the time because he didn't have that kind of dough. But he eventually scraped it up.~Bob Uecker

"While he had a total of forty home runs in his first two big-league seasons, it is unlikely that Aaron will break any records in this department." ~ Furman Bisher, Atlanta Journal and Constitution "journalist"

Comment

Originally posted by jpenrod
                In between innings they would get on the dugout and do a dance routine (Y.M.C.A. or something like that) and try to get the crowd to participate, or use a funnelator and shoot t-shirts into the crowd. All-in-all it actually added to the game since during the action you did not even see them. If the Major League squads are going to introduce cheerleaders to the game I think it should be in this manner where there are there strictly to entertain and involve the crowd in between innings during the down time. Until I actually go to a game and witness it first hand I really do not have a strong opinion.
                That kind of thing doesn't bother me in the slightest, I'll have a guess and say that this is how they'll be utilised more often than not...It is too dangerous to have them not watching the game whilst the game is on.
                RIP - HGF [1937-2009]

Comment

I don't know about you guys, but I like watching what's going on in the dugout or the bullpen between innings.

I don't mind something during the 7th inning, but that's it.

I always thought cheerleaders were for fans with short attention spans.

I never thought of baseball fans that way.
                  "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
                  Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

I regret that I can't vote a hundred thousand times NO!
                    --Annie
                    Be civil to all, sociable to many, familiar with few, friend to one, enemy to none. -Benjamin Franklin, statesman, author, and inventor (1706-1790)
                    Remember Yellowdog
                    ABNY

Comment

Having cheerleaders at baseball games is one of those ideas that sounds great at first, but gets less and less appealing the more I think about it.

The adolescent boy in me is all for it, but the old fogey in me me says: "No, dagnabbit!"
                      Michael!

Reaching Scarlet

Comment

Depends on the cheerleaders...

If they are all clones of a younger Varitek, about 25, maybe some Nomah SI cover clones, with a bit of Spaceman personality, dressed in biker shorts, They must provide entertainment during rain delays.

Otherwise......not in a gazillion years. Obscene.
                        Varitek=Future Red Sox Manager
                        Boston Boxer - a Real Hero

Comment

not in a gazillion is right.
                          "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Comment

Originally posted by CuriousBoston
                            If they are all clones of a younger Varitek, about 25, maybe some Nomah SI cover clones, with a bit of Spaceman personality, dressed in biker shorts, They must provide entertainment during rain delays.

Otherwise......not in a gazillion years. Obscene.
                            I'd rather have the Varitek clones in the feild ; )
                            As for the nomar clones, what would the rules be for cheerleaders on the DL?
                            Get out the Vote!!!

Comment

Originally posted by runningshoes53
                              I always thought cheerleaders were for fans with short attention spans.

I never thought of baseball fans that way.
                              How can we explain having swimming pools, mini-amusement parks etc in the stadiums...Yes, the baseball fans on this site are an extremely intelligent group with a deep love for the game and a respect for its history and traditions, but we shouldn't confuse us with the average "Joe Sixpack" who just wants a day in the sun to watch sports, drink beer and spend time with friends/family. There are a heck of a lot more of "them" then there are "us".
                              RIP - HGF [1937-2009]

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X