No announcement yet.

Marlins looking to Trade Willis Too?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marlins looking to Trade Willis Too?!?

If the winter was the firesale I guess this would be getting top dollar for the ashes....

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5488220

Willis, 24, stands to earn at least $7 million next season in arbitration, perhaps $10 million the season after that. The Marlins' entire payroll this season is $14.3 million. They need a new ballpark to keep Willis for the long term — and it's doubtful they will secure financing for one by July 31.

Any team that acquired Willis would control him for the rest of 2006, plus all of '07 and '08. Right-hander Bartolo Colon was a season closer to free agency when the Indians sent him to the Expos in a six-player deal in which they landed two cornerstones, center fielder Grady Sizemore and left-hander Cliff Lee. For Willis — a pitcher far more marketable than Colon — the Marlins could aim even higher.

From the Cubs, the Marlins could ask for a package starting with outfielder Felix Pie. From the Braves, they could demand catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia. From the Red Sox, they could require left-hander Jon Lester.
    At what point do the Marlins annouce that Fan Appreciation day will now be Fan Participation day in a effort to cut salary further?

(edited for clarity)
    Last edited by ESPNFan; 04-10-2006, 07:12 AM.
    Get out the Vote!!!

One columnist speculating is no reason to further malign a rebuilding club.
    Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
    Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
    Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

It's not a stretch considering his salary.

He would look good taking the mound at Fenway.
      "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
      Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose
        Well I'm all for rebuilding, especially in today's MLB where for certain markets its their only option. But their payroll is already under 15 million . Willis could be a cornerstone of any team for the next 10 years and you need a core to build around. I see the logic in trading Beckett because of his injury history and allowing them to unload Lowell. I don't see the logic of trading away a charismatic Starting pitcher with Cy Young Candidate stuff when your payroll is already extremely low.
        Get out the Vote!!!

Comment

Willis was mentioned as a trade possibility to the Yankees.

My general rule on that is, if a male has never been in a Yankees trade rumor, get that body to the morgue since he must not have a pulse.
          Creator, sabermetric baseball encyclopedia. Powerful and easy to use. Exclusive sorting options and personalized league average lines. Over 75 stats, both sabermetric and traditional. Subscription package available to update daily through the 2006 season.

Comment

Originally posted by baseball-encyclopedia
            Willis was mentioned as a trade possibility to the Yankees.

My general rule on that is, if a male has never been in a Yankees trade rumor, get that body to the morgue since he must not have a pulse.
            Nice. I actually think it's a possibility. For you people that say he would look good in Fenway look at their staff it is questionable wiith injuries but doing well. The Yankees truly do have a chance with a trade for Willis. Since he is young still I don`t think Cashman would mind trading away a prospect for him.
            2009 World Series Champions, The New York Yankees

Comment

Originally posted by Rickey_Henderson
              Nice. I actually think it's a possibility. For you people that say he would look good in Fenway look at their staff it is questionable wiith injuries but doing well. The Yankees truly do have a chance with a trade for Willis. Since he is young still I don`t think Cashman would mind trading away a prospect for him.
              If it were only going to be one prospect, it better be a darned good one. It's not like the Marlins have been getting table scraps in their latest salary dump. It's going to take a lot to get Willis if this was even going to happen, and shocker of shockers, it might actually involve a team that's not the Yankees or Red Sox. Do the Yankees have any decent prospects left?
              Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

14.3 million payroll? ouch. One thing is for sure, the Marlins will be getting top dollar per win this season.
                1903 - 1912 - 1915 - 1916 - 1918 - 2004 - 2007 - 2013

Comment

Let's define "rebuilding"
                  Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
                  Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

Originally posted by RuthMayBond
                    Let's define "rebuilding"
                    You start and the rest of us will catch up to you on that perch of yours.
                    Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

You start and the rest of us will catch up to you on that perch of yours.
                      I'm not the one who brought up rebuilding Actually you're right, there's no way they'll trade Dontrelle . . .
                      . . . until AFTER a stadium deal is done
                      Last edited by RuthMayBond; 04-10-2006, 08:23 AM.
                      Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
                      Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

Originally posted by Rickey_Henderson
                        The Yankees truly do have a chance with a trade for Willis. Since he is young still I don`t think Cashman would mind trading away a prospect for him.
                        Since when do the Yankees have prospects? The only ones they've had this millenium were Melke Cabrera and Robinson Cano, and Cano is up and Cabrera has disappeared.

Comment

Since when do the Yankees have prospects? The only ones they've had this millenium were Melke Cabrera and Robinson Cano, and Cano is up and Cabrera has disappeared
                          There isn't much at the upper levels except for Eric Duncan, but there's a lot of talent lower in the system. Phillip Hughes has been rated as a top-50 prospect after having pitched only 90 innings of pro-ball. Jose Tabata had an incredible debut for a 17 year-old, and guys like Clippard, Garcia, and Austin Jackson all have tons of potential. It's still not a good system, but it isn't nearly as bad as it used to be.

Comment

Originally posted by MapleSyrupMan
                            Since when do the Yankees have prospects? The only ones they've had this millenium were Melke Cabrera and Robinson Cano, and Cano is up and Cabrera has disappeared.
                            You're wrong here, but I still don't think the Yankees will get Willis.

Comment

I say the Cubs should trade for him back. Give them the young Patterson and some of their arms.

For a team with such a low payroll I'd say their ticket prices are way too high. The only way I would shell out 40 dollars to be at a Marlins came is to see the other team and it looks like they are betting that is what I would do.

I don't care how the stadium is set up with Wayne this club is vitually guaranteed to make a HUGE profits this year. They shall make huge profits just on the national TV deal alone. Throw in the unified internet and merchandise deals and the honeypot gets bigger. On top of all that there is going to be the huge revenue sharing check the Marlins will recieve. The check could very well end up being more then twice the size of their payroll. This is a team that doesn't even need to charge for admission and they will have one of the biggest profits and probably the biggest profit margins in all of baseball. Yet despite all this they have the audactiy to charge over 30 dollars for a ticket in the first ring.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X