Red Sox/David Ortiz Contract Extension Done

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Sox/David Ortiz Contract Extension Done

Per WEEI and Michael Silverman and the Boston Herald.

The deal will be announced this afternoon at Fenway Park.
    No numbers available yet but one has to assume its in the 12 million a year range that was reported before.

As a Sox fan its nice to see the Home team reward a very under compensated Big Papi
    Get out the Vote!!!

Has it been announced yet?
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
    Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
    THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
    Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

Originally posted by Mattingly
      Has it been announced yet?
      Yes they just had the press confrence and he's actually taking about it on WEEI as we speak. He's actually joking about the fact that they started the negotiations back in November and how with Theo gone he was negotiationg with one of the "young fellas" hehehe.
      Get out the Vote!!!

Comment

Did they announce the amount of years/money figures?

Comment

Originally posted by pacewon
          Did they announce the amount of years/money figures?
          Looks like 12 million a year for 4 years with an option for 2011.

Not a bad deal. but defiently not a bargain. I'd say its about fair especially considering the discount price Ortiz signed for in his last deal.
          Get out the Vote!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ESPNFan
            Looks like 12 million a year for 4 years with an option for 2011.

Not a bad deal. but defiently not a bargain. I'd say its about fair especially considering the discount price Ortiz signed for in his last deal.
            Perhaps a reward for how popular he's become, due to his offense. However, that's quite a price to pay for a DH, even if amongst the finest we've seen in awhile.

He's obviously getting the remains of the money not taken by Johnny you-know-who, but this is the same Red Sox team that didn't give a 4-year-deal to Pedro, for fear his arm would have issues after 3 years, and offered $10m per for Johnny in a 4-year deal.

I can see Ortiz being very productive for 2-3 years, but 4 years from now, I'm not too sure about. I'd likely have offered $30m/3 yrs at best.
            Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

well, there's not as much wear and tear from sittin' in the dugout for a good portion of the game.
              so maybe ramirez'll be able to make the most of it and be productive for the next 4 years.
              "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Comment

As a Red Sox fan, color me unimpressed. He's already signed for next year at 8.5 million, I don't understand the need to rush into a longer commitment. Looking around the league, it doesn't seem like guys that can only hit are very rare (hell, we've already got another guy on our team who should only DH).

Comment

Originally posted by Mattingly
                  He's obviously getting the remains of the money not taken by Johnny you-know-who, but this is the same Red Sox team that didn't give a 4-year-deal to Pedro, for fear his arm would have issues after 3 years, and offered $10m per for Johnny in a 4-year deal.
                  I can see Ortiz being very productive for 2-3 years, but 4 years from now, I'm not too sure about. I'd likely have offered $30m/3 yrs at best.

Ortiz is younger than both Pedro and Damon at the time they were offered thier 4-year deals.

Pedro is a pitcher, and a rather fragile one at that. Damon is a centerfielder who relies on his speed. Ortiz might be built like Santa Claus, but I still have more faith in him being able to do what he does at 34 than I do with Pedro and Damon doing their thing effectively at 35 and 36, respectively.
                  Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

Comment

Glad to keep Big Papi around for a while. And even though he may blow up like Mo Vaughn I think it is worth it. Best DH in the leaugue who can has tons and tons of power and comes up in the clutch. And he may not be all that horrible in 4 years and still be productive. Also I would hate for him to go on the free agent market, yankees offer him deal he cant refuse and he ends up in pinstrips. I would be sick. but its good to know Ortiz will be in a Red Sox uniform for 4-5 years.

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/NASApp/...=.jsp&c_id=bos
                    go sox.

Pigskin-Fever

Comment

This is probably as little as they could pay and keep Ortiz. No way he would sign a 3 year deal. Too many teams would have been glad to give four or five years. It's a lot of money for a DH. This will cover Big Papi's age 30 - 34 seasons with an option on his age 35 season.
                      Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D.

Ortiz is younger than both Pedro and Damon at the time they were offered thier 4-year deals.

Pedro is a pitcher, and a rather fragile one at that. Damon is a centerfielder who relies on his speed. Ortiz might be built like Santa Claus, but I still have more faith in him being able to do what he does at 34 than I do with Pedro and Damon doing their thing effectively at 35 and 36, respectively.
                        I'll agree with you on the number of years--three--but I'd have gone slightly higher to 11m per at most.

With someone like Ortiz, it's a bit of a "tax" for thanking him what he's done, then rewarding him for his high popularity. He's even got an airplane named after him, per this thread in the BOS forum.

Yes, Pedro, likely due to his slight frame (5'11", 170 lbs or so) and being a fireballing hurler, has had a few arm issues, then debates about whether he'd shut it down for the season in mid-September, or did he not pitch in "meaningless games" when the BoSox were already out of contention. Longtime debates here.

I would say that the "Santa Claus" types would be more Boomer (especially in demeanor in this case) , Cecil Fielder, Mo Vaughn. Ortiz' body type I'd say would be of the fabled "Paul Bunyan" variety. He looks more like linebacker than anything else. From what I've seen, he looks like all muscle. Will he maintain that physique in a few years? I can't tell, but I'd estimate him to be 6'4" and about 260-280 lbs. He'd have to work much harder than someone smaller, such as Manny (about 6', 220 lbs) to maintain his build.

Every signing's a risk, especially with pitchers, but then again, someone has to play. For me, I'm starting to waive a red flag whenever a deal goes beyond 3 years. Anything about that, unless an "option year", I tend to wonder about. For me, I'd put the magnifying glass on each of his 3-year splits, as well as his last season performance.

It's not always an ideal formula for success. Looking at Boomer, a beer guzzler who's overweight and not known for any workout technique in particular, who'd have "thunk it" that his career would've extended into his early 40s?

I'd say that Ortiz has to remain very healthy for this whole thing to work out. He's obviously getting money unused by the offer declined by Damon, and I sometimes wonder what Ortiz would've been offered had Damon accepted Boston's offer.

Was there a no-trade involved?

Thx.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X