"El Hombre"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "El Hombre"

Pujols doesn't want the Angels to use "El Hombre" in any capacity as not to disrespect Stan Musial. Classy move if you ask me.
    "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Originally posted by bluesky5 View Post
    Pujols doesn't want the Angels to use "El Hombre" in any capacity as not to disrespect Stan Musial. Classy move if you ask me.
    Sadly all the news outlets are spinning the headlines so that it seems like a racial issue...
    WAR? Prove it!

Trusted Traders: ttmman21, Dalkowski110, BoofBonser26, Kearns643, HudsonHarden, Extra Innings, MadHatter, Mike D., J.P., SShifflett

Comment

Originally posted by Zito75 View Post
      Sadly all the news outlets are spinning the headlines so that it seems like a racial issue...
      ^^^^ This...
      All it takes for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing. -Unknown

A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination. -Nelson Mandela

Comment

Pujols seems to be much more in touch with the glorious history of the game than most players today.

Comment

I wish the St. Louis media would just move on already...
          Mike Hopper
          Former Gateway Grizzlies Intern

Comment

I have not seen them but I heard the billboards are up with the advertising of "El Hombre"

Comment

What does El Hombre mean? I don't speak French.
              Using a stolen chant from Boston Celtics fans whenever an L.A. team is playing up there just reeks of inferiority complex.

If hitting a baseball is the toughest thing to do in sports, then pitching must be the easiest thing to do in sports.

Comment

It means "overripe avocado"
                "Herman Franks to Sal Yvars to Bobby Thomson. Ralph Branca to Bobby Thomson to Helen Rita... cue Russ Hodges."

Comment

I'm surprised the Angels' marketing dept. wasn't aware of Pujols' stance on this. Somebody should have checked with him first. Now they look really stupid.
                  They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

Originally posted by UnderPressure View Post
                    What does El Hombre mean? I don't speak French.
                    Ha.
                    Originally posted by StanTheMan View Post
                    It means "overripe avocado"
                    Haha.

Comment

Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
                      I'm surprised the Angels' marketing dept. wasn't aware of Pujols' stance on this. Somebody should have checked with him first. Now they look really stupid.
                      I generally like Pujols, and I think his heart is in the right place, but I think he's in the wrong here. He just signed a $254 million contract that's going to pay him huge amounts of money annually, even when he is well past his prime. The Angels should be doing everything in their power from a marketing perspective to try to receive a return on their massive investment before the inevitable decline. If they think they can sell a bunch of El Hombre t-shirts to their hispanic fans, then so be it. Pujols shouldn't be dictating to management which marketing materials he approves of and which he doesn't. Take your money and shut up.
                      My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
                      2. Barry Bonds
                      3. Ty Cobb
                      4. Ted Williams
                      5. Willie Mays
                      6. Alex Rodriguez
                      7. Hank Aaron
                      8. Honus Wagner
                      9. Lou Gehrig
                      10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post
                        I generally like Pujols, and I think his heart is in the right place, but I think he's in the wrong here. He just signed a $254 million contract that's going to pay him huge amounts of money annually, even when he is well past his prime. The Angels should be doing everything in their power from a marketing perspective to try to receive a return on their massive investment before the inevitable decline. If they think they can sell a bunch of El Hombre t-shirts to their hispanic fans, then so be it. Pujols shouldn't be dictating to management which marketing materials he approves of and which he doesn't. Take your money and shut up.
                        Money doesn't always and shouldn't trump respect. Especially for men like Musial. A "God" of the game and all time good guy. If Pujols can bring attention to guys like Musial while showing his respect more power to him, imo.
                        Last edited by bluesky5; 02-23-2012, 07:19 AM.
                        "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post
                          They're paying the man $25 million dollars a year to perform. That means keeping him happy. His happiness is more important than the ideas of some easily replacable back office marketing tools.

They shouldn't need to "create" hype for Pujols, they should let what he has done do the talking and if the Angels fans were actually baseball fans or can't see what a player like Pujols brings to the table they wouldn't need made up nicknames and campaigns the player they're promoting does not like.

It is definitely in Pujols's best interest in how he's marketed. And it's in the Angles best interests to keep their star aprised of what's going on.
                          Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                          Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                          Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                          Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                          Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose View Post
                            It is definitely in Pujols's best interest in how he's marketed. And it's in the Angles best interests to keep their star aprised of what's going on.
                            I can't believe the Angels' Marketing people didn't know about this, I knew about it, most people here probably knew about it.
                            They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

Originally posted by Bulldog19 View Post
                              I wish the St. Louis media would just move on already...
                              I saw this story on national outlets several times but no locally yet at all.
                              1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
                              The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X