Posey told: "not to block the plate"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Posey told: "not to block the plate"

Bochy told Posey he doesn't want him blocking the plate.

I'm kinda of a more old school mentality but I agree with this. Saving a couple runs in the regular season isn't worth losing your best offensive player, who plays the most important defensive position and has all the potential in the world. I'd want him blocking the plate in the postseason, however.
    "No matter how great you were once upon a time β€” the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. β€œRoss Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

NOW they tell him.
    They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

So if you're an opposing player does this mean you have to go in hard everytime you think there will be a play at the plate becuase now you know Posey will be the one to move. You hope he tries a swipe tag and you can knock it out of his glove.
      Lets Go Yankees, Valley Cats, Dutchmen, UT Spartans and ECU Pirates.

Comment

Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
        NOW they tell him.
        You so funny ol' aches and pains!!
        Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

He may take that advice and I can understand if he does. But I'm betting most other catchers will still play the game that way, when it's the best situation, they will still block the plate.
          Last edited by SHOELESSJOE3; 02-23-2012, 01:06 PM.

Comment

What ironic was that Posey wasn't blocking the plate when he got injured.
            Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Blocking the plate is such a low percentage more it really isn't worth what little it gains you as compared to the injuries that occur.
              Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

Catchers job is to catch and block the plate.
                All it takes for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing. -Unknown

A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination. -Nelson Mandela

Comment

Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
                  yeah. If he had blocked the plate properly he wouldn't have been injured. he just stretched his leg out over the plate.
                  I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
                    That's debatable. We had a long discussion about this last year: http://www.baseball-fever.com/showth...nt-Rule-Change

I will concede that he was not blocking all of home plate. Regardless of whether or not he considers that true blocking, I would guess Bochy would tell Posey not to do it again.

Comment

Originally posted by dominik View Post
                      yeah. If he had blocked the plate properly he wouldn't have been injured. he just stretched his leg out over the plate.
                      Actually it was his upper half that ended up in part of the path to home plate. I do agree that Posey probably would have been better off if his entire body was blocking the plate, because at least then he could have squared up and been better prepared for the collision. With just his upper half getting hit while his lower body wasn't planted in the right direction, his legs twisted awkwardly which caused ligaments to tear.

Comment

What is to stop people from stealing home?
                        Chop! Chop! Chop!

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfoot 88 View Post
                          What is to stop people from stealing home?
                          Being tagged out?

Comment

Originally posted by KCGHOST View Post
                            Blocking the plate is such a low percentage more it really isn't worth what little it gains you as compared to the injuries that occur.
                            I think that says it all, not going to change anything.

Comment

Originally posted by ipitch View Post
                              Being tagged out?
                              I may be forgetting my rules, so you aren't allowed to run into the catcher when stealing home?
                              Chop! Chop! Chop!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X