Justin morneau: a ruined career

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Justin morneau: a ruined career

to me that is a very sad case. he clearly does have HOF talent. his 06 MVP was not a good choice but in 2010 he clearly was on his way to win the MVP before that concussion that went on ruining his already injury plagued career completely happened (187 OPS+).

to me that is very sad if such a good player is derailed by injuries. I think he should just quit. this concussion stuff is only going to get worse if anything and he also had a lot of other injuries.

What do you think? will he retire after this season if he misses significant time again? he made comments that suggest this.
    I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

It's his decision to retire of course but I would rather see these guys go out on some semblance of a good season, rather than struggling.

Comment

Originally posted by KevinWI View Post
      It's his decision to retire of course but I would rather see these guys go out on some semblance of a good season, rather than struggling.
      Well that's happened at least a couple of dozen times in ML history.

Comment

Originally posted by BigRon View Post
        Well that's happened at least a couple of dozen times in ML history.
        I think John Elway in the NFL did it right, retire after winning a Super Bowl.

Hate to see great ball players try so hard to get back to their former selves, sign minor league contracts with the Royals or Orioles and get cut before spring training ends, etc.

Sorry to see, but it is their right.

Comment

It is sad. Not only is he exceptionally talented, by all accounts he's a very nice guy.

I watched the game where he got his concussion and the weird thing is that it really didn't look like anything special. It was shocking to hear what happened.
          Vintage Photos of Detroit Ballparks:
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/doctor_gogol/sets/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/

Comment

Originally posted by doctor_gogol View Post
            It is sad. Not only is he exceptionally talented, by all accounts he's a very nice guy.

I watched the game where he got his concussion and the weird thing is that it really didn't look like anything special. It was shocking to hear what happened.
            Corey Koskie was a Brewer in 2006 when he suffered his concussion which ultimately ended his career after he couldn't recover from the symptoms. I remember the game (was in late July as I recall), he ran out from third base to field a ball in the shallow outfield and it looked like he just fell down. At the moment, did not look like a serious impact at all. I guess it just goes to show that not every hit causing a concussion is a super high impact NFL-style hit where the guy is knocked out of his cleats or something.

Comment

A player's physical health is always priority #1. If he is still struggling with concussion issues, it would be best or him and his family if he did retire. Of course it would still be his decision...

As far as the grand theater behind a early retirement... Morneau is one of about 50 MLB 1B who put up some really big OPS+ seasons. Not really front-page worthy if he retires.
              1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
              The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

I hope Justin can bounce back - he does seem like a great a guy and a tough competitor... Concussions are nothing to mess with though.
                WAR? Prove it!

Trusted Traders: ttmman21, Dalkowski110, BoofBonser26, Kearns643, HudsonHarden, Extra Innings, MadHatter, Mike D., J.P., SShifflett

Comment

You hope he can lick this thing and return to productive play. Noentheless he has had a fine career to date.
                  Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

I feel terrible for Justin. He's always seemed like one of the nicer guys in the game. (maybe it's because he's Canadian).

I feel bad asking this but I'm curious; does he get to keep the money on the final two years of his contract if he retires?
                    My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
                    2. Barry Bonds
                    3. Ty Cobb
                    4. Ted Williams
                    5. Willie Mays
                    6. Alex Rodriguez
                    7. Hank Aaron
                    8. Honus Wagner
                    9. Lou Gehrig
                    10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post
                      I feel bad asking this but I'm curious; does he get to keep the money on the final two years of his contract if he retires?
                      99% sure he doesn't.

Comment

I feel terrible for Justin. He's always seemed like one of the nicer guys in the game. (maybe it's because he's Canadian).

no he doesn't
                        I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

99% sure he doesn't.
                          Well then, I think it's safe to assume that he won't retire.
                          My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
                          2. Barry Bonds
                          3. Ty Cobb
                          4. Ted Williams
                          5. Willie Mays
                          6. Alex Rodriguez
                          7. Hank Aaron
                          8. Honus Wagner
                          9. Lou Gehrig
                          10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

Well then, I think it's safe to assume that he won't retire.
                            Not voluntarily, anyway.
                            They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

Corey Koskie was a Brewer in 2006 when he suffered his concussion which ultimately ended his career after he couldn't recover from the symptoms. I remember the game (was in late July as I recall), he ran out from third base to field a ball in the shallow outfield and it looked like he just fell down. At the moment, did not look like a serious impact at all. I guess it just goes to show that not every hit causing a concussion is a super high impact NFL-style hit where the guy is knocked out of his cleats or something.
                              Justins didnt look like a serious impact either. at least to me. he just slid into the base and looked like he just bumped his head on the shortstops knee. All it takes is a bump i guess. Super sad deal if he should never recover from this concussion. and its sad that hes already lost two years or a year and a half or whatever to this injury.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X