Expansion to Mexico ,Havana, Cuba , Or Santo Domingo Domican Republic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expansion to Mexico ,Havana, Cuba , Or Santo Domingo Domican Republic

With the next leagues 15 and 15, and interleague play being everyweek, you will actually need 16 teams in each League

I know there have been debates about where to expand and its not clear what parts of the US can handle a team.

Since there is a team in Toronto, and San Juan didnt really work, but the flights DID work

How about a Team (or 2) in Mexico, Havana Cuba (Assuming the US Boycott is lifted) or the Dominican Republic (Where baseball is King anyway)

I dont know if these places can support a Major league team (Mexico City probably could).

They have their own leagues. They might not welcome MLB expansion. It would be like trying to expand into Tokyo.

Comment

The problem with Tokyo or Europe is the travel time

You would need extra time for travel and to allow for jet Lag, Mexico, Cuba or the D.R. would not have this issue

Comment

I don't see why Japan would want to detroy their own major league by bringing an MLB team to Tokyo...

As far as the Dominican Republic. Aren't most citizens of the Dominican dirt poor? I heard the average monthly wage is around $1,000. How could they support an MLB team?
        My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
        2. Barry Bonds
        3. Ty Cobb
        4. Ted Williams
        5. Willie Mays
        6. Alex Rodriguez
        7. Hank Aaron
        8. Honus Wagner
        9. Lou Gehrig
        10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

This is how I view it. Japan is out of the picture. You have to respect their league, plus the ridiculously fat-expensed travel. Ditto Europe for the travel. Don't think the demand in Europe could come close to compensate for all the expenses of the franchise.

That leaves just the Americas. My #1 choice South of the States is Monterrey. Highly populated MSA. Additionally - unlike Mexico City - it's a relatively richer city, by a lot. Also note it's just 4-5 hours from San Antonio. Travel expenses are largely alleviated.

I'd be stunned if Cuba is an option. That's a pipedream. Dominican Republic might have the demand, but zero money. Likely impossible.

San Juan is do-able, but Monterrey is likely the best aggregate option. Don't think any of Latin America outside of San Juan or Monterrey could handle it or just isn't politically possible in 2012 (Havana). My $.02.

Comment

The average Dominican is too concerned with how to feed their families and not going to baseball games. They hosted the latest Caribbean Series and it was not supported very well and their Winter League attendance is getting worst every season. There are no blackout laws over there, so most people just watch the games on television and even if there were money to attend it would probably be gambled away; gambling on MLB is HUGE over there. IMHO, there is no need to expand MLB in the U.S; much less anywhere outside of the U.S. and Canada.

Comment

Originally posted by NewEnglandAmazins View Post
              The average Dominican is too concerned with how to feed their families and not going to baseball games. They hosted the latest Caribbean Series and it was not supported very well and their Winter League attendance is getting worst every season. There are no blackout laws over there, so most people just watch the games on television and even if there were money to attend it would probably be gambled away; gambling on MLB is HUGE over there. IMHO, there is no need to expand MLB in the U.S; much less anywhere outside of the U.S. and Canada.
              That is just stupid. The Dominican have their own baseball. It's just a lot more... grassroots than MLB. In baseball terms they can mash with us anyday, but they can't match our pageantry, and a Dominican MLB team would never sign anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Imgran View Post
                That is just stupid. The Dominican have their own baseball. It's just a lot more... grassroots than MLB. In baseball terms they can mash with us anyday, but they can't match our pageantry, and a Dominican MLB team would never sign anyone.
                Don't get me started on how unsafe Mexico is, how many MLB players will want to play where they or their loved ones could get killed/kidnapped at any moment.

Comment

Originally posted by RMD View Post
                  San Juan is do-able...
                  San Juan is not do-able. Their TPI (Total personal income) is barely $50B. MLB minimum requirement is $85B.
                  I see great things in baseball. It's our game - the American game.
                  - Walt Whitman

Comment

Mexico - where beheading people is a hobby.
                    Using a stolen chant from Boston Celtics fans whenever an L.A. team is playing up there just reeks of inferiority complex.

If hitting a baseball is the toughest thing to do in sports, then pitching must be the easiest thing to do in sports.

Comment

While the issue of are there any markets that can support a team economically is obviously the biggest question, what is everyones general opinon of is there enough talent to field two more teams?
                      Lets Go Yankees, Valley Cats, Dutchmen, UT Spartans and ECU Pirates.

Comment

My 2 cents: Australia is a virtually untapped baseball mecca. There are a few players currently in the Bigs now, which means there has to be some fan base in their larger cities. Sure, the flights would be killer but the exposure to some MLB games might further establish the sport as more worldwide... However until a mach 4 airliner hits the market, expansion is totally out of the question.
                        WAR? Prove it!

Trusted Traders: ttmman21, Dalkowski110, BoofBonser26, Kearns643, HudsonHarden, Extra Innings, MadHatter, Mike D., J.P., SShifflett

Comment

What about Puerto Rico? Could Hiram Bithorn Stadium be expanded to support a major league team?

As for Australia: Wouldn't the flip-flopped summer/winter be a game killer?
                          It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Laser Beam View Post
                            What about Puerto Rico? Could Hiram Bithorn Stadium be expanded to support a major league team?
                            The Expos couldn't fill the place up when they played some "home" games there a few years back.
                            They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

^ But if Puerto Rico raised their *own* team, perhaps that would be a bigger draw than an 'outsider' like the Expos.
                              It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X