Expansion to Mexico ,Havana, Cuba , Or Santo Domingo Domican Republic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jnakamura View Post
    San Juan is not do-able. Their TPI (Total personal income) is barely $50B. MLB minimum requirement is $85B.
    I'll concede you make a strong point. Is that written in the MLB's Constitution? Is it strictly enforceable? Obviously, Virginia + Maryland, but DC's TPI is $42B to play Devil's advocate. That $50B is actually above a handful of states, and in the ballpark of others. I think Puerto Rico's case would be they'd have a much higher percentage of locals supporting the team with minimal competition for the sporting dollar compared to every US state.

Comment

Originally posted by RMD View Post
      I'll concede you make a strong point. Is that written in the MLB's Constitution? Is it strictly enforceable? Obviously, Virginia + Maryland, but DC's TPI is $42B to play Devil's advocate. That $50B is actually above a handful of states, and in the ballpark of others. I think Puerto Rico's case would be they'd have a much higher percentage of locals supporting the team with minimal competition for the sporting dollar compared to every US state.
      I don't know "where" it's "written", but I've read it from several sources that $85B TPI is the minimum requirement. How flexible it is, who knows, but I would imagine you'd have to be pretty close to get approval.

According to the data I've seen (We're talking metro TPI, not municipal TPI), San Juan isn't even close to having the income.

The San Juan Metro TPI is $53.4B
      The DC Metro TPI is $323.5B

That's a HUGE difference.

San Juan PR is similar in income to Oklahoma City, Calgary, New Orleans, Jacksonville and Edmonton. Big enough for some sports, but not MLB.
      I see great things in baseball. It's our game - the American game.
      - Walt Whitman

Comment

I heard the problem was , when the Expos were in San Juan (And I belive the Marlins have played "Home" games there too) was the ticket prices

they were too high for the average person to purchase.

I also dont know if there are enough Super Rich people to afford Premium tickets

When there was a game in Monterray, Did it sell out?

Did they sell Premium tickets?

Comment

It would be interesting if there was an MLB team in San Juan or Santo Domingo comprised of local players who agree to play for less money, or Jamie Moyer types trying to resurrect their careers. The talent is there to field a competetive team, but probably not an MLB quality one. Of course the MLB players union would never sign off, and the BEST players would be cherry picked by the rest of the league anyway. Just a pipe dream, but I would find myself rooting for them though.
          Last edited by Mario Mendoza...HOF Lock; 03-24-2012, 10:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Laser Beam View Post
            As for Australia: Wouldn't the flip-flopped summer/winter be a game killer?
            Good point - from what I understand it's fairly temperate there in our summers. It would be like playing in Seattle in May.
            WAR? Prove it!

Trusted Traders: ttmman21, Dalkowski110, BoofBonser26, Kearns643, HudsonHarden, Extra Innings, MadHatter, Mike D., J.P., SShifflett

Comment

I think it's too inconvenient and would water down the MLB. I don't believe Japanese baseball is at the caliber of American baseball. Neither are a lot of Latinos, who end up being juggled up and down minor leagues with minimal effective MLB time. Keeping things the way they are (at least for now) gives the MLB better candidates.
              "Allen Sutton Sothoron pitched his initials off today."--1920s article

Comment

Tokyo, Taipei, Seoul, etc. would be great for MLB, but like added earlier travel time is out of the question. A Caribbean city would be good, but since it is against the law for average citizens to travel to Cuba, Havanna is out. San Juan might be good, or Venezuala. Europe will never "buy" into baseball. Soccer is still king and will be. Ask the NFL.

I still think a min "World Series" between the Japan League and MLB would be excellent. Three games in Honolulu or Hilo.
                Take a good look (at Jim Tracy), you won't see him for long! (my play on Drew Goodman's homerun call...)

Comment

Originally posted by Iso7x View Post
                  I still think a min "World Series" between the Japan League and MLB would be excellent. Three games in Honolulu or Hilo.
                  True, but a baseball venue would have to be built, as I believe Aloha Stadium is permanently set up for football now.

Comment

Why was Havana even mentioned? Do people forget that the US still has an economic embargo on Cuba and it's still illegal for Americans to travel there? I don't see that changing much, considering that neither US political party seems to care that much (except the ones that smoke cigars).

Comment

Today Its illegal for most travel to Cuba, but IMO (and many others) when Castro dies that is likely to change. Considering he is in his 80's its likely to be sooner rather than later.

Once the embargo is ended there will be no legal reason a Major league team couldnt be in Cuba.

Already they play in the WBC. Was a finalist in the Olympics and produce genuine major leaguers (unlike Japan which has produced really only one real major leaguer (Ichiro)

Comment

Originally posted by zahavasdad View Post
                        Once the embargo is ended there will be no legal reason a Major league team couldnt be in Cuba.
                        Legal reasons aside it would not be plausible for decades, if ever.
                        I see great things in baseball. It's our game - the American game.
                        - Walt Whitman

Comment

MLB is more likely to invest in foreign leagues than expanding outside of the U.S. and Canada. They already have done so in Australia’s ABL (MLB has a 75% stake for five years). It wouldn’t surprise me if they chose to take over foreign leagues with potential for profit and use those profits to fund MLB International. Expanding outside of the U.S. and Canada makes no sense, when there are so many equal or better options domestically. A few years ago the Netherlands and Italy made separate pitches for MLB supported leagues; the Netherlands wanted an MLB backed European League and Italy wanted its own MLB backed league. There are several opportunities for MLB to make money; such as baseball mad Taiwan’s CPBL or Canada, which doesn’t have its own professional league. Even places like Puerto Rico, Nicaragua and Curacao with troubled leagues or low income patrons could turn small profits for MLB. The only way I can see MLB expanding into foreign markets is if they own and operate foreign leagues and they won‘t be competing on the field against MLB anytime soon.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X