Matt Cain now highest top paid righty in history

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matt Cain now highest top paid righty in history

Seems to me if the Giants have tons of cash to throw around, why not sign a bat? Just 2 guys in their rotation have contracts in excess of $250M.
    Cain's deal will be worth more than $140M when all said and done - for their sake I hope it turns out better than Zito's.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/spring2012/st...sion-matt-cain
    WAR? Prove it!

Trusted Traders: ttmman21, Dalkowski110, BoofBonser26, Kearns643, HudsonHarden, Extra Innings, MadHatter, Mike D., J.P., SShifflett

Originally posted by Zito75 View Post
    for their sake I hope it turns out better than Zito's.
    That's setting the bar awfully low.

But, based on his size, history and delivery, he *should* (knock on wood) be pretty sturdy throughout. But yeah, paying that much for a *pitcher* who plays only once every 5 games hurts. Seems a position player would be a better value.

But...market forces and all that....

And the last year is a *players* option? I hate those.

Comment

I'm glad Cain got signed!
      Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

I wonder kind of money Lincecum will get...
        My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
        2. Barry Bonds
        3. Ty Cobb
        4. Ted Williams
        5. Willie Mays
        6. Alex Rodriguez
        7. Hank Aaron
        8. Honus Wagner
        9. Lou Gehrig
        10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post
          I wonder kind of money Lincecum will get...
          I thought the same thing. He just signed a 2 year deal for $40M. I feel he's better than Cain, so assuming he stays healthy, The Freak is probably worth in the $170M-$180M range for maybe 7 years.
          WAR? Prove it!

Trusted Traders: ttmman21, Dalkowski110, BoofBonser26, Kearns643, HudsonHarden, Extra Innings, MadHatter, Mike D., J.P., SShifflett

Comment

Is Cain even worth that much money? I thought he struggled a lot?
            All it takes for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing. -Unknown

A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination. -Nelson Mandela

Comment

Originally posted by RaysFan_98 View Post
              Nope, he's as steady as they come.

Comment

They overpaid a little, but Cain certainly does not "struggle" consistently, no.
                1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
                The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

I know wins aren't a very important stat, but the fact that he's pitched 6 full seasons and hasn't won more than 14 games yet and has a losing record for his career, makes me feel that he's getting a bit overpaid. Also his ERA+ is 125. Very solid, but not $100 million level. This signing kind of baffles me, to be honest. They have so many good young pitchers...shouldn't the Giants be making this kind of investment in a hitter instead?
                  My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
                  2. Barry Bonds
                  3. Ty Cobb
                  4. Ted Williams
                  5. Willie Mays
                  6. Alex Rodriguez
                  7. Hank Aaron
                  8. Honus Wagner
                  9. Lou Gehrig
                  10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

I know wins aren't a very important stat, but the fact that he's pitched 6 full seasons and hasn't won more than 14 games yet and has a losing record for his career, makes me feel that he's getting a bit overpaid. Also his ERA+ is 125. Very solid, but not $100 million level. This signing kind of baffles me, to be honest. They have so many good young pitchers...shouldn't the Giants be making this kind of investment in a hitter instead?
                    The Giants have only three good "young' pitchers (Lincecum, Cain, Bumgarner). Not singing Cain would reduce that number to two.
                    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Cains w-l record is marred by 2007 and 2008 when the Giants were not very good and Cain's run suppot was the worst in the ML

from si.com

But his 7-16 and 8-14 records in 2007 and '08 skew that number. Not only were the Giants a bad team that lost at least 90 games each season, but Cain also received by far the worst run support of any starter in baseball. The Giants scored, on average, 3.32 runs for every nine innings he pitched those seasons, more than three-quarters of a run worse than that for any other qualified starter.

Not only is Cain highly effective (3.35 career ERA) but he is also among the most durable pitchers who has earned a spot on the short list of the sport's best.

Cain has completed six full big-league seasons since 2006 while never throwing fewer than 190 2/3 innings and never making fewer than 31 starts. In the last four seasons he has averaged 220 innings with a 3.17 ERA and 1.18 WHIP. He is one of only nine pitchers to have thrown at least 880 regular-season innings over the past four years.

He is an elite starter, even if his won-loss record fails to describe that because of persistently poor run support

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz1qvl4DjVc

1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
                      2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://forums.delphiforums.com/GamersParadise
                      3. My table top gaming blog: http://cary333.blogspot.com/

Comment

the Giants are well aware their pitching friendly park does not attract free agent hitters

the core giants are lincecum, cain, bumgarner, wilson, posey and sandoval

it was a good solid well thought out signing
                        1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
                        2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://forums.delphiforums.com/GamersParadise
                        3. My table top gaming blog: http://cary333.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Zito75 View Post
                          Seems to me if the Giants have tons of cash to throw around, why not sign a bat? Just 2 guys in their rotation have contracts in excess of $250M.
                          Cain's deal will be worth more than $140M when all said and done - for their sake I hope it turns out better than Zito's.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/spring2012/st...sion-matt-cain
                          The Giants tried the offense first approach for years and had squat to show for it. Now it's a pitching first approach and they have a World Series Championship to show for it. I'm not sure how you get $140MM out of it, though.
                          San Francisco Giants, World Series Champions in 2010, 2012, and 2014!!!

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts" ~ Albert Einstein

"Royals wear crowns, but Champions Kiss the Ring" ~ Jeremy Affeldt

Comment

No, he's one the best and most underrated pitchers in the game. A real workhorse veteran who's still even younger than Lincecum.

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts" ~ Albert Einstein

Comment

In this case, wins and losses are most definitely tied to run support. With an average offense for his career he'd have a well above .500 record.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X