Justin Verlander 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Justin Verlander 2012

Just thought I should add some more early season speclation to the mix and pose a question.

Will Verlander be as effective in 2012 as he was in his MVP/Cy Young winning 2011 season? And if so, will he win the MVP again?

Obviously voters are willing to hand the MVP over to a pitcher, especially when there is no clear cut hitter who should win. But would they give it to a pitcher 2 years running? Especially the same pitcher?

Verlander was quite impressive last year with a league leading 24 wins, 2.40 ERA and 250+ IP with a sub-1.000 WHIP.

And he is off to a good start so far this season, though it is only 2 starts in for him. He as of this posting has yet to give up a run and is just being his usual dominant self.

no MVP again but he will be dominant again.

I wonder why he didn't have a monster season before? that guy clearly has the best stuff in all majors. can dial it up to 100 and has a wicked curve too.
    I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

MVP seems rather unlikely. He's pitching today and has 7 scoreless innings so far.

Comment

Originally posted by catbox_9 View Post
        MVP seems rather unlikely. He's pitching today and has 7 scoreless innings so far.

not anymore. Rays scored 4 in the 9th, all charged to verlander.
        "all the mets road wins against the dodgers this year have occured at Dodger Stadium"---Ralph Kiner

"Blind people came to the park just to listen to him pitch"---Reggie Jackson, talking about Tom Seaver

Comment

Rays touched him for 4 today.
          All it takes for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing. -Unknown

A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination. -Nelson Mandela

Comment

I don't really understand why managers still let pitchers pitch complete games if nothing is on the line.

yeah 9 out of 10 times verlander wins this but even if he does this takes a lot of gas out of him needed for the postseason. I hate this old school managers who let their ace throw 110 pitches (not in this game but often happens) in such games just because it is old school.

verlander had only throw 81 pitches after 8. considering that the tigers play in a really ppor division and are very likely to win by 10+ give verlander some short nights. nobody cares if they win 98 or 103. but what does matter is having a fresh pitcher in the postseason. same happens with halladay in philly. those guys are abused.

I have no problem with a manager having his ace throwing 150 pitches in game 7 of the world series. but I see no reason to not lift a starter after 7 when you are up with 4 runs. really no need to push them to the limit.
            I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

Originally posted by dominik View Post
              I don't really understand why managers still let pitchers pitch complete games if nothing is on the line.

yeah 9 out of 10 times verlander wins this but even if he does this takes a lot of gas out of him needed for the postseason. I hate this old school managers who let their ace throw 110 pitches (not in this game but often happens) in such games just because it is old school.

verlander had only throw 81 pitches after 8. considering that the tigers play in a really ppor division and are very likely to win by 10+ give verlander some short nights. nobody cares if they win 98 or 103. but what does matter is having a fresh pitcher in the postseason. same happens with halladay in philly. those guys are abused.

I have no problem with a manager having his ace throwing 150 pitches in game 7 of the world series. but I see no reason to not lift a starter after 7 when you are up with 4 runs. really no need to push them to the limit.
              Did you watch the game? He was touching 97-100MPH on his FB in the 9th.
              All it takes for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing. -Unknown

A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination. -Nelson Mandela

Comment

Originally posted by RaysFan_98 View Post
                Did you watch the game? He was touching 97-100MPH on his FB in the 9th.
                yeah. he did not lose this one because of fatique. but in the post season those extra innings can hurt you. no need to let a pitcher pitch 250 innings when you can win the division with 220 innings out of him.

Comment

Oh yeah, that one extra inning is going to kill him, just like it used to do with all those pitchers who used to throw 300+ innings a year.

(sarcasm)
                  San Francisco Giants, World Series Champions in 2010, 2012, and 2014!!!

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts" ~ Albert Einstein

"Royals wear crowns, but Champions Kiss the Ring" ~ Jeremy Affeldt

Comment

Originally posted by Rich the Giants fan View Post
                    Oh yeah, that one extra inning is going to kill him, just like it used to do with all those pitchers who used to throw 300+ innings a year.

(sarcasm)

don't you think that 250 innings in one year is too much in these days? that might have worked in the 60s but let's not forget this is a much higher scoring era= more batters faced per inning and probably also more pitches per batter (because of the smaller strikezone and thus more patient hitters). also the postseason is longer today so you need too save more bullets for that too.

I think 220 innings is plenty enough in these days. I wouldn't let my ace throw much more if I didn't need to. Why should I? more innings don't make the arm any better.

Comment

Originally posted by dominik View Post
                      don't you think that 250 innings in one year is too much in these days? that might have worked in the 60s but let's not forget this is a much higher scoring era= more batters faced per inning and probably also more pitches per batter (because of the smaller strikezone and thus more patient hitters). also the postseason is longer today so you need too save more bullets for that too.

I think 220 innings is plenty enough in these days. I wouldn't let my ace throw much more if I didn't need to. Why should I? more innings don't make the arm any better.
                      Only because they haven't been conditioned to throw that many innings. I personally think part of the reason pitchers get injured nowadays is because they don't throw enough, which is due to the over-reaction by owners who don't want to pay pitcher so many millions a year only to see them get hurt. Innings have gone down because pitchers are babied now. Pitchers could pitch as many innings as they used to if they were conditioned to but the combination of the owners fear of injuries and the increased useage and specialization of the bullpen over the past 3-4 decades means that we'll never see pitchers used that way again.
                      San Francisco Giants, World Series Champions in 2010, 2012, and 2014!!!

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts" ~ Albert Einstein

"Royals wear crowns, but Champions Kiss the Ring" ~ Jeremy Affeldt

Comment

Verlander was excellent in 2011, but the season is already becoming one of the most overrated ever. Of course this has everything to do with him inexplicably winning the MVP award last season, but if put into perspective, it was not an 'all time great' season by any stretch of the imagination.

Just looking back a few years, I'm not convinced Verlander's 2011 was better than

Greinke's 2009
                        Halladay or Kershaw's 2011 plus some other Halladay seasons
                        Several Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez seasons in the early part of the decade
                        A few Johan Santana seasons
                        Cliff Lee's 2008
                        etc....

And yet none of these seasons came particularly close to winning the MVP award.
                        My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
                        2. Barry Bonds
                        3. Ty Cobb
                        4. Ted Williams
                        5. Willie Mays
                        6. Alex Rodriguez
                        7. Hank Aaron
                        8. Honus Wagner
                        9. Lou Gehrig
                        10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post
                          Verlander was excellent in 2011, but the season is already becoming one of the most overrated ever. Of course this has everything to do with him inexplicably winning the MVP award last season, but if put into perspective, it was not an 'all time great' season by any stretch of the imagination.

Just looking back a few years, I'm not convinced Verlander's 2011 was better than

Greinke's 2009
                          Halladay or Kershaw's 2011 plus some other Halladay seasons
                          Several Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez seasons in the early part of the decade
                          A few Johan Santana seasons
                          Cliff Lee's 2008
                          etc....

And yet none of these seasons came particularly close to winning the MVP award.
                          Stronger competition for the award those years?
                          Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                          Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                          Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                          Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                          Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Originally posted by Rich the Giants fan View Post
                            Only because they haven't been conditioned to throw that many innings. I personally think part of the reason pitchers get injured nowadays is because they don't throw enough, which is due to the over-reaction by owners who don't want to pay pitcher so many millions a year only to see them get hurt. Innings have gone down because pitchers are babied now. Pitchers could pitch as many innings as they used to if they were conditioned to but the combination of the owners fear of injuries and the increased useage and specialization of the bullpen over the past 3-4 decades means that we'll never see pitchers used that way again.
                            Creating the closer. One of the most, if not the most overrated position in sports and overpaid.
                            "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose View Post
                              Stronger competition for the award those years?
                              Exactly.

My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
                              2. Barry Bonds
                              3. Ty Cobb
                              4. Ted Williams
                              5. Willie Mays
                              6. Alex Rodriguez
                              7. Hank Aaron
                              8. Honus Wagner
                              9. Lou Gehrig
                              10. Mickey Mantle