Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What other players have annouced their retirement before the season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What other players have annouced their retirement before the season?

Was in a discussion aboyt Chipper Jones and defending the fact other teams are honoring his service to the game...and I can't recall players other than Ripken and Gwynn who have retired and played...most retire at seasons end of right at ST.

Anyone know?

I believe that Ozzie Smith did so, right?
    Mike Hopper
    Former Gateway Grizzlies Intern

Comment

Not a major star like Chipper, Gwynn, and Ripken, but in 2004 Todd Zeile announced his retirement before the season began.

It was a cool final year too. At season's start, he had 1923 hits and 244 homeruns. So he was near a couple of nice, small milestones in 2000 hits and 250 homeruns.

However, the Mets signed him to be a full-time bench player, so he wasn't expected to get anywhere near both. But with injuries to guys like Reyes and others, Zeile got a lot more playing time than anticipated and he managed to reach them. He also came close to 400 doubles, finishing with 397.

It might not sound like much, but I remember Mets announcer Tom Seaver saying "You might say who cares - well, think about it. That's select company. 20 years from now when he's sitting in his living room with his buds and he tells them he was a big league player, they'll ask 'so what did ya' do?' He'll be able to say 'oh, not much. Just 2000 hits and 250 homeruns."

The Mets also got knocked out early, and Zeile got to start a few games as catcher, which he had not done in 14 years.

When the Mets played the Cardinals on the road too, the Mets manager was nice enough to let Zeile start one game, since STL was where he came up into the major leagues.

The end was probably the best though.

In the final game of the season, he hit a 3 run homerun in his final AB and got a rousing standing ovation from the fans. He's no Hall of Famer, but on that afternoon he was treated like one.
      Last edited by redban; 04-13-2012, 06:18 PM.

Comment

Did Barry Bonds ever announce his retirement?
        Using a stolen chant from Boston Celtics fans whenever an L.A. team is playing up there just reeks of inferiority complex.

If hitting a baseball is the toughest thing to do in sports, then pitching must be the easiest thing to do in sports.

Comment

I've been working on a project with the 1941 season. It sounds to me like Charlie Gehringer announced his retirement during the season. Reporters starting writing about his reitrement as a fact and not just speculation.

Comment

Originally posted by redban View Post
            Not a major star like Chipper, Gwynn, and Ripken, but in 2004 Todd Zeile announced his retirement before the season began.

It was a cool final year too. At season's start, he had 1923 hits and 244 homeruns. So he was near a couple of nice, small milestones in 2000 hits and 250 homeruns.

However, the Mets signed him to be a full-time bench player, so he wasn't expected to get anywhere near both. But with injuries to guys like Reyes and others, Zeile got a lot more playing time than anticipated and he managed to reach them. He also came close to 400 doubles, finishing with 397.

It might not sound like much, but I remember Mets announcer Tom Seaver saying "You might say who cares - well, think about it. That's select company. 20 years from now when he's sitting in his living room with his buds and he tells them he was a big league player, they'll ask 'so what did ya' do?' He'll be able to say 'oh, not much. Just 2000 hits and 250 homeruns."

The Mets also got knocked out early, and Zeile got to start a few games as catcher, which he had not done in 14 years.

When the Mets played the Cardinals on the road too, the Mets manager was nice enough to let Zeile start one game, since STL was where he came up into the major leagues.

The end was probably the best though.

In the final game of the season, he hit a 3 run homerun in his final AB and got a rousing standing ovation from the fans. He's no Hall of Famer, but on that afternoon he was treated like one.

Interesting, I found out (and posted) earlier this month that Ken Boyer was the first player to reach 2000 hits and 250 home runs and NOT to make it into the hall of fame.

Comment

Originally posted by brett View Post
              Interesting, I found out (and posted) earlier this month that Ken Boyer was the first player to reach 2000 hits and 250 home runs and NOT to make it into the hall of fame.
              Bob Johnson or Del Ennis?
              Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
              Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

Originally posted by UnderPressure View Post
                Did Barry Bonds ever announce his retirement?
                Nope .
                San Francisco Giants, World Series Champions in 2010, 2012, and 2014!!!

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts" ~ Albert Einstein

"Royals wear crowns, but Champions Kiss the Ring" ~ Jeremy Affeldt

Comment

Nolan Ryan
                  David Wells
                  Craig Biggio?
                  Bob Wickman?
                  Jim Thome?
                  Piniella, Cox, Torre as managers
                  Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
                  Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

Originally posted by Rich the Giants fan View Post
                    Nope .
                    I believe about two months into the 2008 season, his agent told ESPN that he was pretty much done. Lemme see if I can find a link.

Edit: Okay, it was much later than I thought. Bonds' agent admitted in Dec 2009 that his playing career was done.
                    Last edited by KevinWI; 04-14-2012, 04:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RuthMayBond View Post
                      Craig Biggio?
                      Biggio definitely did. I remember all the fanfare regarding his retirement in 2007.

Comment

I think Nolan Ryan did this as well.

Comment

Originally posted by EdTarbusz View Post
                          I think Nolan Ryan did this as well.

Ryan definitely did because he mentioned several times how he was disappointed to be pitching so poorly in his final season.

Comment

Originally posted by RuthMayBond View Post
                            Bob Johnson or Del Ennis?
                            3rd then (well I asked and nobody responded).

Comment

willie mays in 1973
                              they had a willie mays night for him at shea stadium

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...2659#pmSlide=8
                              sigpic

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X