Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2011: Simply An Off Year For Ichiro Or the start of his Career's Decline?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2011: Simply An Off Year For Ichiro Or the start of his Career's Decline?

I know it's hard to say that having an 184 hit-season is an off year for a player, but how many of your think that this will be a "bounce back " year where Ichiro returns to his form of his first 10 MLB sasons, and how many think that due to aging, 2011 represented a turning point in his career and that Ichiro will continue to decline in 2012?

I believe that 2012 will actually turn out to be a bounce back year for Ichiro seeing as how he was clearly upset as to how he performed last year. Not much of a bounce back, but an improvement nonetheless. But, after this season's over I do think that he will begin to naturally decline afterwards.
    "Age is a question of mind over matter--if you don't mind, it doesn't matter."
    -Satchel Paige

Comment

I simply say this: let 2012 pan out before we start making any judgements. For all we know, he could return to a "normal" .300 batting average this season.
      46 wins to match last year's total

Comment

Was there any acute physical issue related to his drop off? His fielding metrics fell off a cliff last year.

Comment

Beginning of the end. Not that I love the idea, but come on, he's a 38 year old who lives on speed, it's not before time.

Comment

Not only is his hitting "better" but his defensive range factor has recovered this year. I am sure he had a specific physical issue last year.

Comment

Ichiro is on pace for over 200 hits again this year.
              Chop! Chop! Chop!

Comment

At his age, it's not hard to believe that last year wasn't a complete abberation, but I'm not ready to stick a fork in him either. Of course, he's one of my all-time favs so it's hard not to be a bit biased as well. I certainly hope he's going to have another 200 hit season this year. I'd also like to see him tie and/or break the record for most career hit streaks of 20-games or more. He is currently one off the record of 8, held by Pete Rose, Ty Cobb and Wee Willie Keeler.
                San Francisco Giants, World Series Champions in 2010, 2012, and 2014!!!

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts" ~ Albert Einstein

"Royals wear crowns, but Champions Kiss the Ring" ~ Jeremy Affeldt

Comment

I think he was unlucky last year seeing how low his BABIP was compared to prior years. Thus I believe he will bounce back to his patented .300+/200+ year.

Comment

Who is the last three hitter on the short side of 20 HR's? Someone in the 80's, I assume.
                    "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

Originally posted by bluesky5 View Post
                      Who is the last three hitter on the short side of 20 HR's? Someone in the 80's, I assume.
                      who was seattles 3 hitter in the last 3 seasons. I guess they are all in that range.
                      I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

Originally posted by dominik View Post
                        who was seattles 3 hitter in the last 3 seasons. I guess they are all in that range.
                        Dustin Ackley hit 3rd most often (71 gms) and ended up with 6 HR. Justin Smoak (35 gms) had 15, but only 7 from the 3-hole. Altogether Seattle's 3-hole hitters in 2011 clubbed 16 home runs.

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts" ~ Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Rich the Giants fan View Post
                          Dustin Ackley hit 3rd most often (71 gms) and ended up with 6 HR. Justin Smoak (35 gms) had 15, but only 7 from the 3-hole. Altogether Seattle's 3-hole hitters in 2011 clubbed 16 home runs.
                          The clean-up hitters also managed just 16 while the 5th and 6th hitters in the M's lineups belted a whopping 18.

Comment

Originally posted by bluesky5 View Post
                            Excluding players that played on bad teams and only thinking of top contending teams, the last one I can think of is Paul O'Neil in 2000 with 18 dongs.

Comment

Originally posted by Joltin' Joe View Post
                              Excluding players that played on bad teams and only thinking of top contending teams, the last one I can think of is Paul O'Neil in 2000 with 18 dongs.
                              I was thinking along those lines.
                              "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X