X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bothrops Atrox
    replied
    Originally posted by vptpt View Post
    Good point. As fans, a lot of us tend to overlook hundreds of great calls and focus on one bad call.
    Yes. Anybody complaining too much about the overall quality of officiating in baseball must not watch many NHL or NBA games. Even the NFL is worse. Not than it can't be better, of course.

Leave a comment:

• vptpt
    replied
    Good point. As fans, a lot of us tend to overlook hundreds of great calls and focus on one bad call.

Leave a comment:

• Rich the Giants fan
    replied
    How about a call for better umpires instead?
    Agreed, though the majority of them get the majority of the calls right to begin with.

Leave a comment:

• Rich the Giants fan
    replied
    Agreed, though the majority of them get the majority of the calls right to begin with.

Leave a comment:

• StanTheMan
    replied
    The majority of plays are nearly impossible to review and come to a definite conclusion....

Because the DEFENSE has the ball. A batted ball called out but shown later to be trapped? The fielder would have thrown to a base(s) and had a shot at throwing runner(s) out. Instead he stopped due to the out call and headed towards the dugout with his teammates. Replay shows he trapped it very clearly. Your solution is what exactly? Award runs or bases to the offense? Judge the fielder would have probably thrown a different runner out anyway, so the inning is over, but maybe a run would has scored first? But would the runners have even ran that much had the trap been called?

Too many variables for replay to work properly when the defense has the ball.

Same play, runners on... Ball hit called foul, replay showed fair. Every body move up a base or two as though the fielder would not have gunned any of them down? The bad call halts play.

Leave a comment:

• vptpt
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Bigfoot 88
    replied
    They really need replay when it comes to stolen bases. Umpires are hard pressed to see anything because of player blockage and all the high speed complex movement involved.

Leave a comment:

• Rich the Giants fan
    replied
    Originally posted by White Knight View Post
    I'm probably in the minority, but I like a botched call from time to time. Makes the game more interesting, fun, and human.
    Especially this.

Leave a comment:

• Bothrops Atrox
    replied
    Of course in any given year, the breaks may not fall evenly.

Leave a comment:

• White Knight
    replied
    Originally posted by Matthew C. View Post
    i like it too, until it is my team that gets screwed.
    All teams get screwed, it is what it is. I can deal with the HR challenge though.

Leave a comment:

• Bothrops Atrox
    replied
    Originally posted by White Knight View Post
    I'm probably in the minority, but I like a botched call from time to time. .
    i like it too, until it is my team that gets screwed.

Leave a comment:

• White Knight
    replied
    I'm probably in the minority, but I like a botched call from time to time. Makes the game more interesting, fun, and human.

Leave a comment:

• Stumanji
    replied
    I think it's absolutely necessary. We already use it, every game, to condemn umpires for horrible calls. Maybe the umpires should push for it so they can get it right on the field and not have to worry about the backlash that they receive when they blow a call.

On the Mariners home opener, Cespedes of Oakland made a diving catch in shallow right center field. The play made ESPN's Top Ten Plays. But everyone at the stadium saw the replay which clearly showed he trapped the ball. Sure enough, the crowd let the umpire know what they thought of his call. How hard would it be to offer one challenge every three innings? Thirty seconds for video review? You'll lose, maybe, two minutes of game play. No big deal.

Leave a comment:

• Bothrops Atrox
    replied
    Originally posted by dominik View Post
    I agree there are much better ways of making the game faster (calling a bigger strike zone, prevent hitters and pitchers from exessive stepping off) than saving some video replay time. however I think it shouldn't be used exessively only on really close things or important situations.

Yeah - like two challenge flags or something like that. Everything can't be reviewed, of course.

Leave a comment:

• Rich the Giants fan
    replied
    Originally posted by ian2813 View Post
    Don't you mean "drivel"?
    Either word will do.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X