Kerry Wood To Retire (maybe)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kerry Wood To Retire (maybe)

Rumors abound that Cubs reliever Kerry Wood is going to retire after (or maybe before) tonight's game. It would be the end of a 14 year career.

He has had a rough last couple of outings. Sporting a 8.76 ERA on the season. From the Chicago Tribune:

The symbolic end to Wood's career came last week at Wrigley Field when he tosses his glove and cap into the stands after a poor outing against Atlanta, snapping and walking away when a question was asked afterwards.
    Source

Is Wood done? Should be retire? HOFer? Any other thoughts?

HOFer? Really?

Comment

Without all the injuries he might have been a Hall Of Famer. He certainly had the talent. Still he carved a pretty nice career for himself considering he is often mentioned in the same breath as Mark Prior (for obvious reason).
      My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
      2. Barry Bonds
      3. Ty Cobb
      4. Ted Williams
      5. Willie Mays
      6. Alex Rodriguez
      7. Hank Aaron
      8. Honus Wagner
      9. Lou Gehrig
      10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post
        Without all the injuries he might have been a Hall Of Famer. He certainly had the talent. Still he carved a pretty nice career for himself considering he is often mentioned in the same breath as Mark Prior (for obvious reason).
        Yeah, early on, Wood and Prior really looked like they might of had amazing careers.

Comment

Originally posted by KevinWI View Post
          Yeah, early on, Wood and Prior really looked like they might of had amazing careers.
          big time fail by the cubs organisation. both were pitched way too much too early.
          I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

Wood probably just had his last outing. he faced one batter striking him out on 3 pitches.
            I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

Along with a zillion other pitchers after their first few seasons.

Wood is so far from Cooperstown, if Kenny Rogers were in Buffalo, Kerry Wood would be in Omaha.
              Last edited by Bothrops Atrox; 05-18-2012, 01:59 PM.
              1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
              The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

Originally posted by Cowtipper View Post
                HOFer? Really?
                You should do one of your polls for him.
                1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
                The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

Kerry is the only pitcher in history with 75 Wins, 50 Saves, and 10 K/9. Pretty cool that hes the only one with those numbers.

Comment

I always liked Wood, he was a good/decent player. But I always thought a little less of him after the Steve Stone deal.
                    "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Is Wood done? Should be retire? HOFer? Any other thoughts?
                      Yes. Yes. No. No.
                      They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowtipper View Post
                        HOFer? Really?
                        Considering some of your threads....
                        Chop! Chop! Chop!

Comment

of course no HOFer although I think he had the stuff to do it. but injuries really derailed his career.

I also don't think he is done. over the last 2 seasons he put up a 124 ERA+ with 9.8 K/9. He still threw 95 today (while other fireballers like lincecum already lose their heat in the mid 20s he can still bring it at 35). he just had some command struggle. I think he could have worked that out but he proabably did not have the fire to do so anymore at this stage of his career.

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew C. View Post
                            Along with a zillion other pitchers after their first few seasons.
                            You are underestimating Kerry Wood. A 20 strikeout game on his fifth major league start. He was on pace to be another Randy Johnson or Nolan Ryan.

I guess his elbow paid for it though.

I'll miss the glove waggle before his deliveries though.

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew C. View Post
                              You should do one of your polls for him.
                              Ouch............

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X