Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Phillies "all time great pitching staff" 2012 update

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Phillies "all time great pitching staff" 2012 update

    Since the joining of Cliff Lee to Roy Halladay, CLiff Hamels and last year Roy Oswalt (the so-called 4 #1 starters) here is what has happened

    2011 - could not even make it out of one divisional series

    2012 - currently NINE NL teams have better ERA's and there is not one Phillie among the top ten in ERA, not one Phillie among the top ten in WHIP and not one Phillie ampong the top ten in H/9 IP

    today Cliff Lee (winless on the season and injured as well) got hammered for 5 earned runs early

    the downward trend continues

    2008 World Champion Hamels

    2009 Lost world series Hamels and Lee

    2010 Lost NL Championship series Halladay Hamels and Oswalt

    2011 Lost first round playoffs Halladay, Lee, Oswalt, Hamels

    2012 Last place NL East Halladay, Lee, Hamles, Blanton, Worley

    the more "star" pitchers they add the worse the team performs
    Last edited by 9RoyHobbsRF; 05-20-2012, 12:37 PM.
    1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
    2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://forums.delphiforums.com/GamersParadise
    3. My table top gaming blog: http://cary333.blogspot.com/

  • #2
    Originally posted by 9RoyHobbsRF View Post
    Since the joining of Cliff Lee to Roy Halladay, CLiff Hamels and last year Roy Oswalt (the so-called 4 #1 starters) here is what has happened

    2011 - could not even make it out of one divisional series

    2012 - currently NINE NL teams have better ERA's and there is not one Phillie among the top ten in ERA, not one Phillie among the top ten in WHIP and not one Phillie ampong the top ten in H/9 IP

    today Cliff Lee (winless on the season and injured as well) got hammered for 5 earned runs early

    the downward trend continues

    2008 World Champion Hamels

    2009 Lost world series Hamels and Lee

    2010 Lost NL Championship series Halladay Hamels and Oswalt

    2011 Lost first round playoffs Halladay, Lee, Oswalt, Hamels

    2012 Last place NL East Halladay, Lee, Hamles, Blanton, Worley

    the more "star" pitchers they add the worse the team performs
    Huh? they have a lot of injuries to there lineup Thus not scoring a lot. Cliff lee has 5 ND's and a 0-1 with a 1.95 ERA how often do you see that?
    All it takes for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing. -Unknown

    A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination. -Nelson Mandela

    Comment


    • #3
      Hammels and Lee are doing great, Halladay is not up to his usual standards, but still very good, Worley is also doing very good.

      They're not doing all time great, but still a nice rotation, even if they are off to a rough start by their standards.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by RaysFan_98 View Post
        Huh? they have a lot of injuries to there lineup Thus not scoring a lot. Cliff lee has 5 ND's and a 0-1 with a 1.95 ERA how often do you see that?
        yes. the problem is not pitching but hitting. their two best hitters are out.

        where would the tigers be without cabrera and fielder? where have the giants been in 11?
        I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

        Comment


        • #5
          here are the comparisons

          2010 Giants 9th in the league in runs per game (offense) first in ERA

          2012 Phillies 5th in the league in runs per game (offense) 9th in ERA

          you may want to guess again

          not one pitcher in the top ten in ERA, WHIP or hits/9 and Lee got lit up today bye bye interstate era
          1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
          2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://forums.delphiforums.com/GamersParadise
          3. My table top gaming blog: http://cary333.blogspot.com/

          Comment


          • #6
            The playoffs are a crapshoot. But it's no coincidence that their regular season wins have gone up from 2008 to 2011.

            Comment


            • #7
              It was an all -time great starting rotation in 2011, whether OP agrees or not.
              My top 10 players:

              1. Babe Ruth
              2. Barry Bonds
              3. Ty Cobb
              4. Ted Williams
              5. Willie Mays
              6. Alex Rodriguez
              7. Hank Aaron
              8. Honus Wagner
              9. Lou Gehrig
              10. Mickey Mantle

              Comment


              • #8
                Halladay's numbers are deceiving. He is actually having a great season thus far. He was touched for 12 hits and 8 runs vs the Braves a few weeks ago. Toss out that one game and his ERA drops from 3.22 to 2.29 and his WHIP falls from 1.057 to 0.949. This while averaging almost seven and a half innings per outing in those eight other starts.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Buczilla View Post
                  Halladay's numbers are deceiving. He is actually having a great season thus far. He was touched for 12 hits and 8 runs vs the Braves a few weeks ago. Toss out that one game and his ERA drops from 3.22 to 2.29 and his WHIP falls from 1.057 to 0.949. This while averaging almost seven and a half innings per outing in those eight other starts.
                  Its weird that hes been beaten twice by the Padres.

                  On paper this is still the best rotation in baseball. Best top three of the rotation at least.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Hobbs, you're probably the first person EVER that has considered Blanton a star pitcher

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Blanton 4 wins

                      CLiff lee zero

                      Originally posted by kiluckzle View Post
                      Hobbs, you're probably the first person EVER that has considered Blanton a star pitcher
                      1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
                      2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://forums.delphiforums.com/GamersParadise
                      3. My table top gaming blog: http://cary333.blogspot.com/

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by 9RoyHobbsRF View Post
                        Blanton 4 wins

                        CLiff lee zero
                        Cool story bro. Cliff Lee has a 2.66 ERA, 0.86 WHIP, and leads the league in K:BB ratio at 8:1. I guess it's his fault that his team doesn't score runs for him?

                        Your next valid point in this thread will be your first.
                        My top 10 players:

                        1. Babe Ruth
                        2. Barry Bonds
                        3. Ty Cobb
                        4. Ted Williams
                        5. Willie Mays
                        6. Alex Rodriguez
                        7. Hank Aaron
                        8. Honus Wagner
                        9. Lou Gehrig
                        10. Mickey Mantle

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          zero wins = zero wins whatever the excuses are

                          calculate his wins per dollar paid and let me know the value
                          1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
                          2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://forums.delphiforums.com/GamersParadise
                          3. My table top gaming blog: http://cary333.blogspot.com/

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            the Phillies ballyhooed pitching staff has done zilch

                            all east coast press and espn and sports illustrated fluff

                            real performance = nada
                            1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
                            2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://forums.delphiforums.com/GamersParadise
                            3. My table top gaming blog: http://cary333.blogspot.com/

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by 9RoyHobbsRF View Post
                              zero wins = zero wins whatever the excuses are

                              calculate his wins per dollar paid and let me know the value
                              1950's sportswriters called. They want their logic back.
                              Attached Files
                              My top 10 players:

                              1. Babe Ruth
                              2. Barry Bonds
                              3. Ty Cobb
                              4. Ted Williams
                              5. Willie Mays
                              6. Alex Rodriguez
                              7. Hank Aaron
                              8. Honus Wagner
                              9. Lou Gehrig
                              10. Mickey Mantle

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X