Paul Konerko: The Ageless Wonder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paul Konerko: The Ageless Wonder

As a White Sox fan, I feel like I need to give a shout out to the monster season Paul Konerko is having at the age of 36. Over his career, you could usually count on him for 30-35 HR and a 120-130 OPS+ or so - solid numbers, but nothing too noteworthy. However, over the past three years, at an age where most guys are showing steady declines, he has really turned it on, putting up an OPS+ of 160, 143, and so far in almost two months of this year has a slash line of .396/.473/.667. He is completely locked in right now (in fact, getting hit in the eye a week ago has appeared to only have made him angry, with 12 hits (6 XBH) in the 5 games since his return) and his plate discipline is unbelievable, as he's been even more dangerous after going down 0-2 (.333/.412/.800). This got me thinking about other cases like him, of guys who's best years were after their prime years. What are some other examples of similar cases with other hitters not named Barry Bonds?
    Last edited by Thatguyoverthere; 05-26-2012, 09:39 PM.

Originally posted by Thatguyoverthere View Post
    As a White Sox fan, I feel like I need to give a shout out to the monster season Paul Konerko is having at the age of 36. Over his career, you could usually count on him for 30-35 HR and a 120-130 OPS+ or so - solid numbers, but nothing too noteworthy. However, over the past three years, at an age where most guys are showing steady declines, he has really turned it on, putting up an OPS+ of 160, 143, and so far in almost two months of this year has a slash line of .396/.473/.667. He is completely locked in right now (in fact, getting hit in the eye a week ago has appeared to only have made him angry, with 12 hits (6 XBH) in the 5 games since his return) and his plate discipline is unbelievable, as he's been even more dangerous after going down 0-2 (.333/.412/.800). This got me thinking about other cases like him, of guys who's best years were after their prime years. What are some other examples of similar cases with other hitters not named Barry Bonds?
    Hank Aaron comes to mind, though I wouldn't say he was "better' in his mid-late 30's then he was before, but he was basically the same hitter. His entire career was basically a "peak".

Edgar Martinez is another example of a hitter who was a beast in his 30's.

Comment

Yeah 4 for 4 today. I remember when he first started with the Sox and it always struck me as kinda odd how he wasn't really a fan favorite especially having a name like Konerko on the southside but I think he has become the favorite Whitesox player of alltime now. The oldtimers even love this guy now. Going to the Cell nowdays and listening to the fans chant Paulie is just flat out a Chicago experiance almost like the National Anthem at Blackhawk game. I'm really looking forward to tomorrows game and i'm prob gonna go but I think the chants wont be Paulie anymore but instead the chants will be MVP.

He changed Chicago back to a Whitesox town.
      Last edited by chicagowhitesox1173; 05-26-2012, 10:35 PM.
      "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Every time I listen to an Indians/White Sox game it seems like Konerko is always getting big hits for Chicago.

Comment

Originally posted by EdTarbusz View Post
          Every time I listen to an Indians/White Sox game it seems like Konerko is always getting big hits for Chicago.
          He's the best-kept secret in baseball. It's about time he got a little recognition, he's always been good, and he's been excellent for several years now.

Originally posted by chicagowhitesox1173 View Post
          He changed Chicago back to a Whitesox town.
          I haven't been back to Chicago since I moved to New York two years ago, so forgive me if I find that hard to believe, but I find that hard to believe. Hell, Frank Thomas couldn't change Chicago to a White Sox town, but he was a surly SOB, not very fan-friendly.
          They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
            He's the best-kept secret in baseball. It's about time he got a little recognition, he's always been good, and he's been excellent for several years now.

I haven't been back to Chicago since I moved to New York two years ago, so forgive me if I find that hard to believe, but I find that hard to believe. Hell, Frank Thomas couldn't change Chicago to a White Sox town, but he was a surly SOB, not very fan-friendly.
            I think Sosa kept it a Cub town during the Thomas years and it probaly still is a Cub town but it has started to change alot more. I see more Sox fans in bars nowdays. I never used to see that. Some bars in the burbs wouldn't even put the Sox games on tv if the Cubs were playing. These same bars that used to do that claim themselves as Sox bars nowdays. The Suntimes even had a cover story recently which read Sox Town Again. But your deff not off in believing it's still a Cub type of town. The Cubs deff have alot of diehards and I do respect em for sticking with the Cubs. Konerko has shifted the percentages though. It's pretty hard even if your a Cub fan not to love Konerkos toughness.

When the Cubs finally win i'll be honest it will deff be bigger than anything Chicago has ever seen.
            "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

HE MUST BE ON STEROIDS !!!!!!!11111one111!11!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Cowtipper View Post
                HE MUST BE ON STEROIDS !!!!!!!11111one111!11!!!
                Wow that would kill me if he was. I would really doubt he is though.

Comment

As one of the few Rhode Island natives in the big leagues, Konerko has always been a guy who's career I followed and who was extra fun for me to watch. He's one of those guys who's "quietly great".
                  Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X