Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bonds and HOF a year off: song and dance time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bonds and HOF a year off: song and dance time?

http://www.examiner.com/article/form...es-anyone-care

I article I found worth reading.....

My theory from almost the moment Barry Bonds retired was that sooner or later he'd start a full-court press from the media to make himself seem worthy enough for the HOF.
    I wonder if the harder he tries to rewrite his history; will it actually work against him?

"Seem" worthy enough?

Whether you like him or not, the guy is an inner-circle Hall Of Famer. Even if he retired after 1999, he's easily a top 25 player ever.

I can understand the voters making him wait a few years, but if he doesn't eventually get elected, then the Hall Of Fame is a joke.
    My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
    2. Barry Bonds
    3. Ty Cobb
    4. Ted Williams
    5. Willie Mays
    6. Alex Rodriguez
    7. Hank Aaron
    8. Honus Wagner
    9. Lou Gehrig
    10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

He should not get elected. Should get the Pete Rose treatment. He and McGwire and Clemens and Sosa can sit around and wonder, "what if".

Comment

He was already roiding by 99....

My point is: how far will Bond's go to get elected? How hard is he going to try to rewite the past and put in in a new, more fan-friendly press-release?

It looks to me that the first few steps might already being taken.....

Comment

Originally posted by Iowanic View Post
          He was already roiding by 99....
          If he retired after 1998 - or even after 1997 - Still an easy HOFer.
          My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
          2. Barry Bonds
          3. Ty Cobb
          4. Ted Williams
          5. Willie Mays
          6. Alex Rodriguez
          7. Hank Aaron
          8. Honus Wagner
          9. Lou Gehrig
          10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

Too bad his ego wouldn't settle for that then. What happened after 99 reflects on his electability as much(If not more) then what happened before. It's a matter of which part of his career has the most meaning.

I guess we'll find out how much the HOF means to him.

Comment

Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post
              "Seem" worthy enough?
              People still use propaganda even if it's not necessary to build up a case.

Comment

"Seem" worthy enough?

Whether you like him or not, the guy is an inner-circle Hall Of Famer. Even if he retired after 1999, he's easily a top 25 player ever.

I can understand the voters making him wait a few years, but if he doesn't eventually get elected, then the Hall Of Fame is a joke.
                I can't disagree. And I can't say that just because a player used HGH that they should be exempted from the hall. Why should that be?

Roids can make you hit for power. They can't make you connect with the ball. I'm sure MANY other players juiced up and it had limited effects on their numbers. I'm sure Bonds batted against users.

I think he belongs. But I doubt he'll ever be in the hall. He was a user but did things that many other users didn't even approach.

Questions: with all the HGH use in the 90s, why weren't distance records shattered along with numerical records?
                Were overall MLB HR numbers increasing during this time as well?
                Vintage Photos of Detroit Ballparks:
                http://www.flickr.com/photos/doctor_gogol/sets/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/

Comment

Of the steroid guys, I think either Rodriguez or Bonds have the best shot of getting in. Bonds because he was supposedly "clean" pre 1999, and Arod because for whatever reason he seems to get somewhat of a free pass when it comes to steroids. People take him at his word when he says he "only" used for three years, despite the fact that he's flat out lied in the past. Clemens has made such a mockery of himself that I think he will never get in, especially if he's convicted.

I think the question is, what if we later find out that there's already a steroid user in the HOF? Does that suddenly open doors for juicers like Mcgwire?

Comment

Originally posted by doctor_gogol View Post
                    Questions: with all the HGH use in the 90s, why weren't distance records shattered along with numerical records?
                    You sure about that? I remember guys like McGwire, Bonds, even the occasional Glenallen Hill type hitting 500+ foot homers pretty routinely. You never see 500+ homers anymore (the last one with a true distance over 500 feet was hit by Adam Dunn in 2008).

I remember Sammy Sosa hitting a bunch of 500+ footers in a Home Run Derby. The longest HR hit in last year's HR derby was 474 feet by Prince Fielder who is as strong as they come.
                    Last edited by GiambiJuice; 05-30-2012, 09:58 AM.
                    My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
                    2. Barry Bonds
                    3. Ty Cobb
                    4. Ted Williams
                    5. Willie Mays
                    6. Alex Rodriguez
                    7. Hank Aaron
                    8. Honus Wagner
                    9. Lou Gehrig
                    10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

Originally posted by fenrir View Post
                      Of the steroid guys, I think either Rodriguez or Bonds have the best shot of getting in. Bonds because he was supposedly "clean" pre 1999, and Arod because for whatever reason he seems to get somewhat of a free pass when it comes to steroids. People take him at his word when he says he "only" used for three years, despite the fact that he's flat out lied in the past. Clemens has made such a mockery of himself that I think he will never get in, especially if he's convicted.

I think the question is, what if we later find out that there's already a steroid user in the HOF? Does that suddenly open doors for juicers like Mcgwire?
                      A-Rod still gets booed everywhere he plays and you will always hear the "STEROIDS!" chant when he is at bat. If anyone from this generation has gotten a total free pass, it is David Ortiz. He's the biggest fraud in Baseball IMO.
                      My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
                      2. Barry Bonds
                      3. Ty Cobb
                      4. Ted Williams
                      5. Willie Mays
                      6. Alex Rodriguez
                      7. Hank Aaron
                      8. Honus Wagner
                      9. Lou Gehrig
                      10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

A-Rod still gets booed everywhere he plays and you will always hear the "STEROIDS!" chant when he is at bat. If anyone from this generation has gotten an absolute free pass, it is David Ortiz. The biggest fraud in Baseball IMO.
                        Hmm, perhaps you would know more than me since you are a Yankees fan who probably watches every game. I'm with you on Ortiz. It's especially funny how we learned that he tested positive a few months after he publicly spoke against steroid use. He won't get in the HOF any way because he doesn't have the numbers.

I also think Pettitte has gotten a free pass, despite being just as big of a liar as his buddy Clemens.

Comment

Originally posted by fenrir View Post
                          Hmm, perhaps you would know more than me since you are a Yankees fan who probably watches every game. I'm with you on Ortiz. It's especially funny how we learned that he tested positive a few months after he publicly spoke against steroid use. He won't get in the HOF any way because he doesn't have the numbers.

I also think Pettitte has gotten a free pass, despite being just as big of a liar as his buddy Clemens.
                          I agree with you about Pettitte.
                          My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
                          2. Barry Bonds
                          3. Ty Cobb
                          4. Ted Williams
                          5. Willie Mays
                          6. Alex Rodriguez
                          7. Hank Aaron
                          8. Honus Wagner
                          9. Lou Gehrig
                          10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

The irony of Bonds courting the Press is just too much. And using an obviously falsehood just makes it all the worse.
                            Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

So Bonds shows up to one Giants game and he is suddenly "courting" the press? Bonds comes to Giants games from time to time. This is news how?
                              Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X