Chris Sale and Stephen Strasburg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chris Sale and Stephen Strasburg

I was looking both players career stats up recently and its amazing how similar they both are. I know Strasburg gets most of the ink but I think or hope Chris Sale will start getting some much deserved respect soon too.

Chris Sale
    10-5w/l 2.49era 152ip 109hits 172k 173era+ 1.066whip 6.5h/9 10.2k/9 5.5war

Stephen Strasburg
    11-5w/l 2.58era 150ip 118hits 186k 154era+ 1.027whip 7.1h/9 11.2k/9 3.8war

They both started in 2010 at the age of 21 but to be fair Chris Sale did get used as a relief pitcher at the beginning of his career but the career stats are very similar and at this point I would say Chris Sale has had a better first 150 innings pitched.

I think Chris Sale needs to have another good start this Sunday to start getting noticed a little more. His last start he struck out 15 batters and I really didnt hear alot about it.

I suppose the Whitesox arent really a major headline and most probaly dont even know they're in first place but this Chris Sale is a fun pitcher to watch. I think the Sox will be playing on WGN Sunday (they usually do on Sundays) and he's scheduled to pitch that day. I hope i'm not jinxing him and no offense to the Mariners but he might have a great game vs a pretty weak hitting team.

sidenote....I do like the Mariners but lets face it they really aren't the best group of hitters so far this year.
    "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

I think Sale is doing very well considering how the Sox are jerking him around back and forth from the bullpen to the rotation. Hopefully, the perfect game put an end to that.

And you're right, the South Side of Chicago is Baseball Siberia (apologies to any Siberian forum members who may be offended).
    They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
      I think Sale is doing very well considering how the Sox are jerking him around back and forth from the bullpen to the rotation. Hopefully, the perfect game put an end to that.
      Why would Phillip Humber's perfect game affect how Sale is used?
      My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
      2. Barry Bonds
      3. Ty Cobb
      4. Ted Williams
      5. Willie Mays
      6. Alex Rodriguez
      7. Hank Aaron
      8. Honus Wagner
      9. Lou Gehrig
      10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post
        Why would Phillip Humber's perfect game affect how Sale is used?
        He probaly meant Chris Sales 15 strikeout game.
        "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Originally posted by chicagowhitesox1173 View Post
          He probaly meant Chris Sales 15 strikeout game.
          Yes, I did, sorry. Gotta stop posting before I have my coffee. :stupidme:
          They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

These are the updated stats for both pitchers.

Chris Sale
            12-5w/l 2.34era 169ip 118h 187k 183era+ 1.024whip 10.0k/9 6.7war

Stephen Strasburg
            13-5w/l 2.48era 163ip 126h 208k 160era+ 1.006whip 11.5k/9 4.4war

I feel at this point of the year Chris Sale is the best pitcher in baseball. He is currently leading all AL pitchers in wins, era, era+, whip and has the highest war in the AL.

On a sidenote Brett Lawrie of the BlueJays also has a 3.4 war for this season along with Josh Hamilton and I can see Hamilton having a 3.4 war but Lawrie is a bit of a surprise. He has a 2.8 defensive war already this season.
            Last edited by chicagowhitesox1173; 06-12-2012, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by chicagowhitesox1173 View Post
              These are the updated stats for both pitchers.

Chris Sale
              12-5w/l 2.34era 169ip 118h 187k 183era+ 1.024whip 10.0k/9 6.7war

Stephen Strasburg
              13-5w/l 2.48era 163ip 126h 208k 160era+ 1.006whip 11.5k/9 4.4war

I feel at this point of the year Chris Sale is the best pitcher in baseball. He is currently leading all AL pitchers in wins, era, era+, whip and has the highest war in the AL.

On a sidenote Brett Lawrie of the BlueJays also has a 3.4 war for this season along with Josh Hamilton and I can see Hamilton having a 3.4 war but Lawrie is a bit of a surprise. He has a 2.8 defensive war already this season.
              Which shows how flawed WAR, and specifically dWAR, are.
              My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
              2. Barry Bonds
              3. Ty Cobb
              4. Ted Williams
              5. Willie Mays
              6. Alex Rodriguez
              7. Hank Aaron
              8. Honus Wagner
              9. Lou Gehrig
              10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

Which shows how flawed WAR, and specifically dWAR, are.
                Yeah I was kinda thinking the same thing. I was pretty shocked to see him up there tied for the best war. Jeez if he starts to really hit he could have a pretty high war at the end of the year. He could have a war around 9.0-10.0 if he maintains his defense and has a average hitting season. I dont know too much about war but it seems pretty reachable for him.

Comment

Even if we use another advanced defensive stat that some like, UZR/150 (which is the most accurate), Lawrie is the second-best defensive third baseman in the game. Just behind Mike Moustakas. Take that for what you will, but that supports Lawrie's high dWAR.
                  46 wins to match last year's total

Comment

So Lawrie's been worth about the same amount of wins on defense as Joey Votto and Josh Hamilton on offense. Seems legit.
                    Last edited by GiambiJuice; 06-12-2012, 11:55 AM.
                    My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
                    2. Barry Bonds
                    3. Ty Cobb
                    4. Ted Williams
                    5. Willie Mays
                    6. Alex Rodriguez
                    7. Hank Aaron
                    8. Honus Wagner
                    9. Lou Gehrig
                    10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

So Lawrie's been worth about the same amount of wins on defense as Joey Votto and Josh Hamilton on offense. Seems legit.
                      No you have to subtract the positional adjustment which now is included in dWAR too (really stupid IMO). you notice that WAR doesn't add up anymore. his actual defensive value might be more like 1.5 or so.
                      I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

Originally posted by dominik View Post
                        No you have to subtract the positional adjustment which now is included in dWAR too (really stupid IMO). you notice that WAR doesn't add up anymore. his actual defensive value might be more like 1.5 or so.
                        I see what your saying but why does he still have a 3.4 war. 2.8 defensive war and 0.7 offensive war. He's tied for the league lead with Hamilton and Sale.

Kinda interesting how the three of em are leading the AL as very different types of players. Pitching, hitting and defense.
                        Last edited by chicagowhitesox1173; 06-12-2012, 01:39 PM.

Comment

The Whitesox game isn't over yet but it's safe to say the Whitesox probably will win. (score is 19-2.) Chris Sale pitched a good game going 7 and a third while giving up 1 run with 4 strikeouts. But does Chris Sale earn extra war for playing in a pretty tough hitters park and for facing the top offense in the Majors? I almost wish he wasn't on this allstar team because i'm sure there gonna bench him on Sunday.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X