Mets Punish Fan For Celebrating No Hitter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mets Punish Fan For Celebrating No Hitter

Ok, he did run onto the field, but this is utterly ridiculous...

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-bi...144120029.html

2 nights in jail? Possibly another year in jail and a $25,000 fine? And a lifetime ban from Citi field for sure?

I can't help but think of that image of those fans running onto the field to shake Hank Aaron's hand. That image is iconic, apparently if it happened today it would be criminal.

I understand the need for security, but a little common sense here. He had no weapons, he didn't attack anyone, he didn't even interrupt the game which was over. Security dragged him off, I could understand maybe a small fine, maybe telling him to stay away for the rest of the season. But to threaten a loyal fan with a lifetime ban and putting him in a cell for doing absolutely no harm, come on, this is stupid.

Edit: And no, I don't condone what he did. I just don't see the point of tying up the legal system with this.
    Religion: Yankeeist

"Hanging out with him sucks because all the women flock to him. Let's see, he's been on the cover of GQ, is rich and famous, hits for average and power and is a helluva nice guy." - Tim Raines on Derek Jeter

I absolutely agree. Way over the top.

Comment

Originally posted by RubeBaker View Post

I understand the need for security, but a little common sense here. He had no weapons, he didn't attack anyone, he didn't even interrupt the game which was over. Security dragged him off, I could understand maybe a small fine, maybe telling him to stay away for the rest of the season. But to threaten a loyal fan with a lifetime ban and putting him in a cell for doing absolutely no harm, come on, this is stupid.
      It appears from the video that he also resisted security when they pulled him away from the party. I doubt they just decided to tackle him for no reason...

Maybe HE should have used some common sense and stayed at his seat. Why didn't the other 28k rush the field too?
      Mike Hopper
      Former Gateway Grizzlies Intern

Comment

Alot of these security guys or even some cops get a little goofy when it comes to the need to tackle somebody. That tv show Cops sometimes shows 6 or 7 officers taking one guy down when he's basically already has his hands on his head and ready to give up.

Yeah the guy is a loyal fan and he prob spent thousands of dollers on Met's stuff and they ban him for life?
        "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

After the father/son idiot tag team that attacked then-KC Royals coach Tom Gamboa on the field in Chicago 10 years ago, you don't want to run onto a Major League field while the teams are on it. Not ever, for any reason. This is a zero-tolerance area, and should be, IMO.
          They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
            After the father/son idiot tag team that attacked then-KC Royals coach Tom Gamboa on the field in Chicago 10 years ago, you don't want to run onto a Major League field while the teams are on it. Not ever, for any reason. This is a zero-tolerance area, and should be, IMO.
            I'm almost positive that the father and son are allowed back into U.S. Cellular now. If anybody should be banned for life its them two. I think the Mets went a little far banning their guy for life.

Course the Sox probably need all the fans they can get.
            "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

"Mets Punish Fan For Celebrating No Hitter"

Wow, what a spin, doctor.

Originally posted by Bulldog19 View Post
              It appears from the video that he also resisted security when they pulled him away from the party. I doubt they just decided to tackle him for no reason...

Maybe HE should have used some common sense and stayed at his seat. Why didn't the other 28k rush the field too?
              Agreed.

Ditto.

Originally posted by chicagowhitesox1173 View Post
              Yeah the guy is a loyal fan and he prob spent thousands of dollers on Met's stuff and they ban him for life?
              Objection, your honor. Calls for speculation.

Objection sustained.
              Put it in the books.

Comment

he knew the consequences and now he's suffering for them. O well.

I'm SURE the other 27.000 fans there wanted to be in that celebration just as badly as he did.....but they actually had common sense and a brain.....he didnt. Tough luck for him.
                "all the mets road wins against the dodgers this year have occured at Dodger Stadium"---Ralph Kiner

"Blind people came to the park just to listen to him pitch"---Reggie Jackson, talking about Tom Seaver

Comment

good responses

Originally posted by milladrive View Post
                  "Mets Punish Fan For Celebrating No Hitter"

Wow, what a spin, doctor.

Agreed.

Ditto.

Objection, your honor. Calls for speculation.

Objection sustained.
                  1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
                  2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://forums.delphiforums.com/GamersParadise
                  3. My table top gaming blog: http://cary333.blogspot.com/

Comment

in other news, Navy SEALS punish Bin Laden for living in a cave.
                    My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
                    2. Barry Bonds
                    3. Ty Cobb
                    4. Ted Williams
                    5. Willie Mays
                    6. Alex Rodriguez
                    7. Hank Aaron
                    8. Honus Wagner
                    9. Lou Gehrig
                    10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

I'm not disagreeing with this. And if he attacked a player, or if they found him with a gun on him, by all means, he'd deserve the punishment he got. And security should handle it ASAP. Was it moronic for him to run on the field? Yes. But is it really worth throwing him in a jail cell and banning him from his favorite team for life when it is now absolutely clear there was no harm done and he had no bad intent? No, it excessive and completely over the top.
                      Religion: Yankeeist

"Hanging out with him sucks because all the women flock to him. Let's see, he's been on the cover of GQ, is rich and famous, hits for average and power and is a helluva nice guy." - Tim Raines on Derek Jeter

Comment

The guy is a moron. He broke the rules and he deserves to be banned for life. I'm sure he'll make his way back to Citi Field eventually, though. I got banned from a shoping mall when I was a teenager and went back the next day.
                        My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
                        2. Barry Bonds
                        3. Ty Cobb
                        4. Ted Williams
                        5. Willie Mays
                        6. Alex Rodriguez
                        7. Hank Aaron
                        8. Honus Wagner
                        9. Lou Gehrig
                        10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

I'm not disagreeing with this. And if he attacked a player, or if they found him with a gun on him, by all means, he'd deserve the punishment he got. And security should handle it ASAP. Was it moronic for him to run on the field? Yes. But is it really worth throwing him in a jail cell and banning him from his favorite team for life when it is now absolutely clear there was no harm done and he had no bad intent? No, it excessive and completely over the top.

it's not excessive or over the top when they literally announce about 4 times a game now a days that coming onto the playing field is completely forbidden in any way and fans who do will be prosecuted.

That guy chose not to listen and he's getting his punishment. That's how life works. Sorry.
                          "all the mets road wins against the dodgers this year have occured at Dodger Stadium"---Ralph Kiner

"Blind people came to the park just to listen to him pitch"---Reggie Jackson, talking about Tom Seaver

Comment

Ok, he did run onto the field, but this is utterly ridiculous...

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-bi...144120029.html

2 nights in jail? Possibly another year in jail and a $25,000 fine? And a lifetime ban from Citi field for sure?
                            When I went to a White Sox game back in 2007, before the game they played a short video featuring Bobby Jenks on the big screen. He was flipping through a bunch of cards that had writing on them, specifically telling the fans that they should never, under any circumstances, run onto the field. I remember one of the cards (I believe the final one) saying something like "Step on the field, go to jail. Got it?"

I can't help but think of that image of those fans running onto the field to shake Hank Aaron's hand. That image is iconic, apparently if it happened today it would be criminal.
                            The image of Aaron circling the bases after breaking one of baseball's most hallowed records would've been just as iconic if those fans had stayed in their seats.

Agreed. The safety of the players and coaches is too important.
                            Baseball Junk Drawer

Comment

Originally posted by m8644 View Post
                              it's not excessive or over the top when they literally announce about 4 times a game now a days that coming onto the playing field is completely forbidden in any way and fans who do will be prosecuted.

That guy chose not to listen and he's getting his punishment. That's how life works. Sorry.
                              Exactly. Plus they were probably extra harsh not as a punishment, but as a deterrent to future knuckleheads who are thinking about running onto the field.
                              My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
                              2. Barry Bonds
                              3. Ty Cobb
                              4. Ted Williams
                              5. Willie Mays
                              6. Alex Rodriguez
                              7. Hank Aaron
                              8. Honus Wagner
                              9. Lou Gehrig
                              10. Mickey Mantle

Comment