X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Blackout View Post
    stop hating

i want Dunn to break Reggie's record
    Who's hating. I love Dunn. You can be boring and still be effective.
    My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
    2. Barry Bonds
    3. Ty Cobb
    4. Ted Williams
    5. Willie Mays
    6. Alex Rodriguez
    7. Hank Aaron
    8. Honus Wagner
    9. Lou Gehrig
    10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post
      Who's hating. I love Dunn. You can be boring and still be effective.
      Is it "boring"... or is it "dependable"?
      46 wins to match last year's total

Comment

2 more down, 697 more to go.

I wonder if Reggie Jackson is a big Dunn fan.

This is another record he is on pace to shatter.

Comment

Originally posted by Joltin' Joe View Post
          Interestingly enough all within a 7 year period. Bond's delta of 24 more dongs than singles is almost unfathomable.
          The Golden Age of Steroids.
          They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news...k_cws&c_id=cws

When occasionally perusing his statistical line, the last number Adam Dunn looks at is batting average.

“Honestly, I really don’t look at batting average,” Dunn said. “I know my job is to drive in runs and get on base and things of that nature. I don’t care how I get on. I mean, whatever: Walk, hit, I don’t care. But it’s down at the bottom.”

Dunn entered Sunday’s series finale against the Astros hitting .226. But the White Sox designated hitter also ranked second in baseball with 19 home runs and third in the American League with 45 RBIs. He has a .371 on-base percentage, and is tied with Joey Votto for the most walks in the Majors at 48.

Taking his offensive importance one step further, Dunn is No. 1 in the AL at 4.49 pitches viewed per plate appearance, and ranks No. 1 in baseball with 1,164 pitches viewed this season. Those numbers aren’t important to Dunn, as much as they represent his norm as a professional.

“Every year I was kind of up there in that,” said Dunn of the pitches-viewed category. “It goes back to having my approach that is good and bad. Obviously, you want to get the starter out of there as quick as possible, so the more pitches you can see early in a game, the better.”

“He just seems like he’s on base all the time,” said White Sox manager Robin Ventura of Dunn. “Everybody wants their average to be up higher, but I don’t want him to have his average go up without him having the power. He has good at-bats when he goes up there. He’s not a typical three-hole hitter, but for us, he’s on base enough to be a three-hole hitter.”

Comment

I wonder if it bothers Dunn that he strikes out so much. I mean some if not most hitters would really try to change how much they strike out if they strike out a ton. But if he doesnt really care about his BA then i suppose he doesnt care how much he strikes out, assuming hes hitting homers and drawing walks.

Comment

You mean he's not worried about his WAR? I'm shocked. Shocked.
                They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
                  You mean he's not worried about his WAR? I'm shocked. Shocked.
                  I actually wonder if there's any baseball player out there, particularly the great ones, who know and care about "advanced" statistics such as WAR.

Comment

Originally posted by RDB_SoxFan View Post
                    I wonder if it bothers Dunn that he strikes out so much. I mean some if not most hitters would really try to change how much they strike out if they strike out a ton. But if he doesnt really care about his BA then i suppose he doesnt care how much he strikes out, assuming hes hitting homers and drawing walks.
                    I think he wants to make contact and obviously doesn't like striking out. but he probably doesn't track his numbers although he probably is aware that he whiffs a ton.

the attitude to Ks has changed though. In cobbs day striking out was considered a shame and players tried everything to make contact with 2 strikes even if it resulted in a weak grounder. later players would still take big hacks with 2 strikes.

babe ruth had ridiculously high K numbers for this time (leading league several times) and traditionalists criticized him for that even when they realized he produced a ton of runs.

of course for todays standards ruths K numbers are only a little above average but for this time it was high.

today it is normal for a power hitter to strike out 120-150 times. Dunn is extreme though even for today.
                    I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

Originally posted by RDB_SoxFan View Post
                      The White Sox are paying Dunn $14 million this season, or $74K per strikeout, based on his career average of 189. He's probably not that worried.

Comment

Strikeouts suck. They are completely unproductive. Fly ball and ground ball outs can at least move runners over. Making contact can result in errors by fielders. Putting the ball in play introduces more possiblities than do worthless strikeouts.
                        San Francisco Giants, World Series Champions in 2010, 2012, and 2014!!!

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts" ~ Albert Einstein

"Royals wear crowns, but Champions Kiss the Ring" ~ Jeremy Affeldt

Comment

Originally posted by Rich the Giants fan View Post
                          Strikeouts suck. They are completely unproductive. Fly ball and ground ball outs can at least move runners over. Making contact can result in errors by fielders. Putting the ball in play introduces more possiblities than do worthless strikeouts.
                          "Like."

Comment

Originally posted by dominik View Post
                            I think he wants to make contact and obviously doesn't like striking out. but he probably doesn't track his numbers although he probably is aware that he whiffs a ton.
                            Doesn't he strike out an extraordinary amount looking?

Comment

Originally posted by Rich the Giants fan View Post
                              ground balls also result in many more double plays than strikeouts.
                              My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
                              2. Barry Bonds
                              3. Ty Cobb
                              4. Ted Williams
                              5. Willie Mays
                              6. Alex Rodriguez
                              7. Hank Aaron
                              8. Honus Wagner
                              9. Lou Gehrig
                              10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post
                                ground balls also result in many more double plays than strikeouts.
                                True, though impossible to know how many of "those" strikeouts would have turned into double plays if they'd made contact. Overall, however, I'd rather take my chances with a ball put in play.
                                San Francisco Giants, World Series Champions in 2010, 2012, and 2014!!!

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts" ~ Albert Einstein

"Royals wear crowns, but Champions Kiss the Ring" ~ Jeremy Affeldt

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X