All star game changes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All star game changes?

What would you change about the AS Game?

Me:
    1) not related to WS home advantage
    2) too many teams means you should not have to have 1 player for each franchise
    3) starting field players can play the whole game
    4) pitchers can pitch more than 3 innings
    5) manager does not get to load the team up with his own players
    6) ditch the home run derby
    7) related ditch Chris Berman

thoughts?
    1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
    2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://forums.delphiforums.com/GamersParadise
    3. My table top gaming blog: http://cary333.blogspot.com/

8) No ties allowed, any manager or commissioner who agrees to a tie must be banned for life
    Alcohol
    Tobacco
    Firearms
    should be a convenience store,
    not a government agency

Comment

I'd eliminate the game but keep the break.

Comment

Originally posted by EdTarbusz View Post
        You got it!
        Mike Hopper
        Former Gateway Grizzlies Intern

Comment

Originally posted by 9RoyHobbsRF View Post
          What would you change about the AS Game?

Me:
          1) not related to WS home advantage
          2) too many teams means you should not have to have 1 player for each franchise
          3) starting field players can play the whole game
          4) pitchers can pitch more than 3 innings
          5) manager does not get to load the team up with his own players
          6) ditch the home run derby
          7) related ditch Chris Berman

thoughts?
          1. Agreed
          2. Agreed
          3. The can, right? There is no rule, I don't think.
          4. Same as #3.
          5. I would agree, but what if a bunch of those players really deserved it? Maybe the issue is that there should be more than one person selecting the players? If they really deserved it, they would likely make it.
          6. I wouldn't get rid of it, but seeing the biggest stars more often would help.
          7. Really, really agree!
          1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
          The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

The All Star Game is pretty cool, but all the lineup and pitching changes makes my head spin. The starters should all go like 5 or 6 innings, then they could start making changes.

And I love the Home Run Derby, but Berman has got to go.

Comment

Best-of-7-series
              Using a stolen chant from Boston Celtics fans whenever an L.A. team is playing up there just reeks of inferiority complex.

If hitting a baseball is the toughest thing to do in sports, then pitching must be the easiest thing to do in sports.

Comment

Starters used to play the field five or six innings, while starting pitchers used to always go three. It wasn't uncommon for multiple players to not play. It would be better if the game went back to that, but it won't.

Home field advantage in the WS being decided by an exhibition? Joke.

The game used to have more significance than it does now in that, along with the World Series, it helped decide bragging rights. The NL wanted to beat the AL and vice-versa. Nowadays Interleague play has diluted the difference between the leagues and familiarity has taken away the mystique of not only the ASG, but the WS too. I would improve the All-Star Game by doing away with Interleague play.
                San Francisco Giants, World Series Champions in 2010, 2012, and 2014!!!

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts" ~ Albert Einstein

"Royals wear crowns, but Champions Kiss the Ring" ~ Jeremy Affeldt

Comment

as long as you have interleague play and the amount of players changing teams/leagues you do now, I dont think there is anything that can be done to realistically improve the actual game.

As far as this game deciding home field advantage.......please get rid of the worst idea in the history of sports.
                  "all the mets road wins against the dodgers this year have occured at Dodger Stadium"---Ralph Kiner

"Blind people came to the park just to listen to him pitch"---Reggie Jackson, talking about Tom Seaver

Comment

Originally posted by EdTarbusz View Post
                    Some of us love it so much we take off work just to watch it. It is the only AS Game in any sport that fans care about and watch. Football's is awful, basketball's is ok, and I don't even know if hockey has one. No way will baseball's ever be taken from me.
                    Lou Gehrig is the Truest Yankee of them all!

Comment

Originally posted by White Knight View Post
                      Some of us love it so much we take off work just to watch it. It is the only AS Game in any sport that fans care about and watch. Football's is awful, basketball's is ok, and I don't even know if hockey has one. No way will baseball's ever be taken from me.
                      The NHL has an All-Star game. The players are voted in and then two captains pick their teams like it was high school phy. ed. all over again. It's fricken awesome.
                      AL East Champions: 1981 1982
                      AL Pennant: 1982
                      NL Central Champions: 2011
                      NL Wild Card: 2008

"It was like coming this close to your dreams and then watching them brush past you like a stranger in a crowd. At the time you don't think much of it; you know, we just don't recognize the significant moments of our lives while they're happening. Back then I thought, 'Well, there'll be other days.' I didn't realize that that was the only day." - Moonlight Graham

Comment

I agree with Ed T-keep the break, lose the game. I can't remember the last one I watched all the way to the end.
                        They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

Originally posted by White Knight View Post
                          The NBA ASG is great - a showcase of pure skill without all the fouls. Plus, with only 24 players, it is usually a superstar-fest, without a Pirates reliever with a 4.5 ERA thrown in. But the NHL ASG and Pro Bowl are awful. I am a huge NFL and NHL fan and never watch either.
                          1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
                          The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

Originally posted by Bulldog19 View Post
                            You got it!

Maybe we could just watch old all star games on rerun

Comment

Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
                              I agree with Ed T-keep the break, lose the game. I can't remember the last one I watched all the way to the end.
                              I can-its the one that never ended.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X