All-Star Game (Trout and Harper)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All-Star Game (Trout and Harper)

Is MLB smart enough to get both Harper and Trout on the All-Star Game rosters this season or will they have to really, really, really have to earn it?

think they both have not played enough games to be considered
    1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
    2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://forums.delphiforums.com/GamersParadise
    3. My table top gaming blog: http://cary333.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by 9RoyHobbsRF View Post
      Harper and Trout have both played more games than leading vote getter Matt Kemp. Just sayin'.
      My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
      2. Barry Bonds
      3. Ty Cobb
      4. Ted Williams
      5. Willie Mays
      6. Alex Rodriguez
      7. Hank Aaron
      8. Honus Wagner
      9. Lou Gehrig
      10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

It was a long time ago, but Frankie Zak made the AS team after just 44 games. Joe Dimaggio - 57 games.

Comment

Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post
          Harper and Trout have both played more games than leading vote getter Matt Kemp. Just sayin'.
          Kemp has not played enough either

36 games 121 AB

Dodgers have played 67 games
          Last edited by 9RoyHobbsRF; 06-19-2012, 08:52 AM.
          1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
          2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://forums.delphiforums.com/GamersParadise
          3. My table top gaming blog: http://cary333.blogspot.com/

Comment

Kemp has not played enough either

36 games 121 AB

Dodgers have played 67 games
            Kemp has been injured, and was in All Star form prior to the injury, but I agree - he should not be in the All Star game this year purely on the basis of his injury keeping him out of the game for so long leading up to the AS game. However, the nature of selection by the fans means he will probably get a nod. I guess it is up to the fans to chose Trout & Harper if they are deemed worthy of a spot.
            "A hot dog at the ballgame beats roast beef at the Ritz." ~Humphrey Bogart

No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference. ~Tommy Lasorda

Comment

Originally posted by Richard View Post
              Is MLB smart enough to get both Harper and Trout on the All-Star Game rosters this season or will they have to really, really, really have to earn it?
              No special treatment should be given. If they are one of the 90+/- selected then they'll go.
              Mike Hopper
              Former Gateway Grizzlies Intern

Comment

Bryce wouldn't be deserving, but Trout would. Anybody who says he hasn't played enough games is a fool. 8th in OPS+ coming into today and he just went 3-3 with 2 doubles tonight and the games not even close to being over(4th inning). 4th in WAR....again, coming into today.
                Last edited by Buczilla; 06-19-2012, 08:38 PM.

Comment

I don't want to see anyone in the game that isn't deserving (which is why I would eliminate the every team must be represented argument), but there should not be any set minimum amount of games. Let the body of work decide if the player is worthy overall.
                  San Francisco Giants, World Series Champions in 2010, 2012, and 2014!!!

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts" ~ Albert Einstein

"Royals wear crowns, but Champions Kiss the Ring" ~ Jeremy Affeldt

Comment

Trout absolutely...he is a hit machine and continues to steal bases seemingly at will

Comment

Originally posted by Richard View Post
                      Smart enough? If I am not mistaken, position players are voted for by the fans, right? Moreover, if we were basing entry solely on numbers, I think Trout should definitely make it, but why should Harper make it? He really isn't doing anything that special.

Comment

Originally posted by Jobu Voodoo View Post
                        Smart enough? If I am not mistaken, position players are voted for by the fans, right? Moreover, if we were basing entry solely on numbers, I think Trout should definitely make it, but why should Harper make it? He really isn't doing anything that special.
                        Being the best hitter on a first place team isn't special?

A .378 wOBA for a CF isn't anything special?

That ranks in the top 10 of the NL in the non-Joey Votto division.

Both Harper and Trout should be in the All-Star game on merit. It's an added bonus that everyone would rather watch them play than whoever the best player is on the DBacks, A's, or Padres.

Comment

If Bryce were to make it at the expense of either Andrew McCutchen or Carlos Gonzalez, then yeah we have a problem. As of today those two are 10th and 11th in the OF portion of the NL AS voting tally.

Trout on the other hand should be starting.

Comment

Originally posted by Buczilla View Post
                            If Bryce were to make it at the expense of either Andrew McCutchen or Carlos Gonzalez, then yeah we have a problem. As of today those two are 10th and 11th in the OF portion of the NL AS voting tally.

Trout on the other hand should be starting.
                            All 3 of those NL outfielders should be on the squad if it is strictly on merit. They, along with Braun and Beltran, make up the top 5 OF in the NL. Obviously Kemp is there too if not for his injuries. But it's a moot point to include Kemp since he won't be playing either way.

If it's supposed to be on merit, do away with voting and just go by the numbers.

If voting is kept, then people can't complain if fans want to see certain players in the game because it makes the game more interesting.

Comment

You forgot about Melky Cabrera.

The fans select the starters. The players make their selections, then the managers do the same....then we have that final snub, er...vote thing(the leagues choices). You know as much as I do that most of the shenanigans take place outside of the hands of the fans.

What stats do we go by if we go by stats? Or should I say whose stats? And what happens when something happens like Colby Rasmus is seen as the 20th best player in the AL with said statistic(hello WAR)? Then what? Or what if a better line of stats come along? See, there really isn't an easy fix.
                              Last edited by Buczilla; 06-20-2012, 09:06 PM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X