Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ipitch View Post
    So, you think 53.9% = 46.1%?
    Well, math wasn't my best subject, but I was responding more to the 50.9%, than the 53.9%.

I'm completely opposed to having the ASG-winning league get home field advantage, regardless of how important it really is. It's just an artificial construct created to make people care about the ASG, which is excruciatingly dull most years. I'm on record here as saying I wouldn't care if they dropped the game altogether. It's an overblown snooze-fest.
    They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
      Well, math wasn't my best subject, but I was responding more to the 50.9%, than the 53.9%.

I'm completely opposed to having the ASG-winning league get home field advantage, regardless of how important it really is. It's just an artificial construct created to make people care about the ASG, which is excruciatingly dull most years. I'm on record here as saying I wouldn't care if they dropped the game altogether. It's an overblown snooze-fest.
      I'm with you. ...although I think their primary M.O. was to construct it to make the players care more about the ASG, ever since Mr. Jeter made a point of making public his intent to not play as hard as he normally would because he viewed it as a meaningless exhibition game, which, incidentially, it ultimately is. This is why I think it shouldn't have any effect whatsoever on the postseason.

But, like you, it wouldn't bother me in the slightest if they did away with it altogether. ...or perhaps played it indoors during the offseason. As it is, I don't even watch it, and it only serves to make me miss regular baseball for three or four days.
      Put it in the books.

Comment

Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
        I am totally with you there, and after seeing that there will be a "Red Carpet" introduction for the players to be televised live, it makes more of a joke of this pick up game. Why not just poll the fans on who should get the home advantage - it would have as much meaning as the ASG.
        "A hot dog at the ballgame beats roast beef at the Ritz." ~Humphrey Bogart

No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference. ~Tommy Lasorda

Comment

The ASG determining WS HFA is the stupidest idea of Bud Selig's tenure as Holy Man of MLB. And I think he's supported a lot of bad ideas.
          San Francisco Giants, World Series Champions in 2010, 2012, and 2014!!!

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts" ~ Albert Einstein

"Royals wear crowns, but Champions Kiss the Ring" ~ Jeremy Affeldt

Comment

I think it's a stupid idea and I doubt it's helped increase fans' interest in the AS game at all. That being said it isn't any worse than alternating each year between AL and NL. That is stupid too. The team with the better overall record or the better interleague record should get home field advantage in the WS. It's an advantage that should be earned by the team that's actually in the WS, not by some relief pitcher from the Pirates or Royals during an exhibition game.
            Last edited by GiambiJuice; 06-30-2012, 11:50 PM.
            My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
            2. Barry Bonds
            3. Ty Cobb
            4. Ted Williams
            5. Willie Mays
            6. Alex Rodriguez
            7. Hank Aaron
            8. Honus Wagner
            9. Lou Gehrig
            10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

They should choose home field advantage based on the average attendance for the two teams in the World Series... It's a win-win situation.... if fans want their team to possibly have HFA, they have to show up throughout the season. And the team makes more money, the league makes more money, and everybody's happy
              Mike Hopper
              Former Gateway Grizzlies Intern

Comment

Originally posted by Bulldog19 View Post
                They should choose home field advantage based on the average attendance for the two teams in the World Series... It's a win-win situation.... if fans want their team to possibly have HFA, they have to show up throughout the season. And the team makes more money, the league makes more money, and everybody's happy
                Think the Rays will oppose that idea....

Comment

Originally posted by Rich the Giants fan View Post
                  The ASG determining WS HFA is the stupidest idea of Bud Selig's tenure as Holy Man of MLB. And I think he's supported a lot of bad ideas.
                  Agreed.

Originally posted by DownUnderDodger View Post
                  I am totally with you there, and after seeing that there will be a "Red Carpet" introduction for the players to be televised live, it makes more of a joke of this pick up game. Why not just poll the fans on who should get the home advantage - it would have as much meaning as the ASG.
                  Also agreed. I mean, even in this poll's brief time, based on the votes of 19 members, 16 of them have voted "no." Now, I would say BBF is a good sampling of baseball fans. So, if the overwhelming majority of baseball fans are against the ASG having an impact on the postseason, why wouldn't MLB listen to the very people who keep them in business? Makes zero sense to me.
                  Put it in the books.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich the Giants fan View Post
                    I'm not convinced that Selig either originated this idea or that he supports it. I think this idea was from Fox and they pay enough for MLB to take them seriously.

Comment

I can only think of two reasons:

1. This arrangement somehow benefits the brass now and they don't want it to be removed or taken away.

or

2. They're brainless morons.

Extreme choices, yes, but as odd as Selig and the owners act, they're not complete blithering idiots. This "home field in the World Series determined by the All-Star Game" arrangement has to benefit them in some way. Otherwise, they'd get rid of it.
                      46 wins to match last year's total

Comment

Originally posted by EdTarbusz View Post
                        I'm not convinced that Selig either originated this idea or that he supports it. I think this idea was from Fox and they pay enough for MLB to take them seriously.
                        Originally posted by SamtheBravesFan View Post
                        I can only think of two reasons:

1. This arrangement somehow benefits the brass now and they don't want it to be removed or taken away.

or

2. They're brainless morons.

Extreme choices, yes, but as odd as Selig and the owners act, they're not complete blithering idiots. This "home field in the World Series determined by the All-Star Game" arrangement has to benefit them in some way. Otherwise, they'd get rid of it.
                        I tend to agree with Ed and Sam's Reason 1 on this. During every Fox broadcast, they play up the ASG's effect on the postseason as a selling point, despite the majority of fans being thoroughly against it. Not surprising, though. Like most things Fox, they've got their own agenda regardless of what the people want, and they push it on the very people who think it's a bad idea. Kinda reminds me of the lie that, if told enough, becomes "truth."
                        Put it in the books.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X