Reggie Jackson comments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reggie Jackson comments

Reggie Jackson stated in a interview recently that he doesn't feel Bert Byleven, Jim Rice, Phil Neikro, Gary Carter, Kirby Puckett or Don Sutton should be in the Hall Of Fame. Seems strange he would say this about players he played against. I might be wrong but I think he said Andy Pettite will make the HOF and he ripped on Alex Rodriguez and Barry Bonds saying something along the lines that no hofers will show up if they get elected. I wonder why he left Bruce Sutter off?

I heard this on the radio so I might not be 100 percent acurrate.
    "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Why does he think Andy Pettite will get in and not Alex Rodriguez or Barry Bonds. Pettite used more PEDS than A-Rod and Bonds put together.

Comment

Reading about this on the web he also said Blyleven wasn't even better than Jack Morris. Jeez no wonder some of these guys never get elected if guys like Reggie are voting. Although i'm not sure If Reggie votes.
      "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Originally posted by John Shoemaker View Post
        Why does he think Andy Pettite will get in and not Alex Rodriguez or Barry Bonds. Pettite used more PEDS than A-Rod and Bonds put together.
        Yeah they made a comment about that in the article I just read. Apparently Pettite is viewed differently than other ped users so he thinks he'll get in faster. He also said he's been friends with Pettite since Pettite was 20.

Comment

Originally posted by chicagowhitesox1173 View Post
          Yeah they made a comment about that in the article I just read. Apparently Pettite is viewed differently than other ped users so he thinks he'll get in faster. He also said he's been friends with Pettite since Pettite was 20.
          Well, that's telling.

On its face, it seems calculated to say something like that. The players on his list were extremely popular in their day (Puckett and Carter) or took a very long time to get into the Hall (the rest).
          46 wins to match last year's total

Comment

So the career .262 hitter with the all-time strikeout record is questioning other other HOF members' worthiness. Bizarre.
            My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
            2. Barry Bonds
            3. Ty Cobb
            4. Ted Williams
            5. Willie Mays
            6. Alex Rodriguez
            7. Hank Aaron
            8. Honus Wagner
            9. Lou Gehrig
            10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

.. who out hit Carl Yastrzemski 3-4 time batting champ .268 to .264 in road games

if he played in Fenway Park or Yaz played in Oakland (or better yet if both of those happened) Reg would have out hit Yaz by 30 points

Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post
              So the career .262 hitter with the all-time strikeout record is questioning other other HOF members' worthiness. Bizarre.
              1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
              2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://forums.delphiforums.com/GamersParadise
              3. My table top gaming blog: http://cary333.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post
                I have to admit that crossed my mind as a good piece of irony.

His message could be "If there is doubt about a player's Hall of Fame credentials, they aren't one".

But if that's true, why hold Pettite up as a shining example? There is MUCH doubt about him.

Comment

Originally posted by 9RoyHobbsRF View Post
                  .. who out hit Carl Yastrzemski 3-4 time batting champ .268 to .264 in road games

if he played in Fenway Park or Yaz played in Oakland (or better yet if both of those happened) Reg would have out hit Yaz by 30 points
                  You're missing my point. Reggie is a deserving HOFer, but it's not like he's Babe Ruth or Ty Cobb. He had some real flaws in his game, so for him to call out other members for not being deserving of enshrinement is weak and classless.
                  My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
                  2. Barry Bonds
                  3. Ty Cobb
                  4. Ted Williams
                  5. Willie Mays
                  6. Alex Rodriguez
                  7. Hank Aaron
                  8. Honus Wagner
                  9. Lou Gehrig
                  10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

Originally posted by SamtheBravesFan View Post
                    I have to admit that crossed my mind as a good piece of irony.

His message could be "If there is doubt about a player's Hall of Fame credentials, they aren't one".

But if that's true, why hold Pettite up as a shining example? There is MUCH doubt about him.
                    He's also the ambassader or something in regards to the Yankees and he knows Arod is having a tough year and he actually thinks it's a good idea too bring this up now. He's friends with Alex Rodriguez too which makes this even more strange. No wonder Billy Martin, Thurman Munson and Craig Nettles didn't get along with him.

Comment

Originally posted by chicagowhitesox1173 View Post
                      He's also the ambassader or something in regards to the Yankees and he knows Arod is having a tough year and he actually thinks it's a good idea too bring this up now. He's friends with Alex Rodriguez too which makes this even more strange. No wonder Billy Martin, Thurman Munson and Craig Nettles didn't get along with him.
                      Reggie is one complex man.

Comment

Double Post
                        Last edited by SamtheBravesFan; 07-06-2012, 07:02 AM.

Comment

23050379.jpg

My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
                          2. Barry Bonds
                          3. Ty Cobb
                          4. Ted Williams
                          5. Willie Mays
                          6. Alex Rodriguez
                          7. Hank Aaron
                          8. Honus Wagner
                          9. Lou Gehrig
                          10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

Two weeks ago he said Roger Clemens should be inducted. I guess he views players who didn't break his homerun record differently.

Comment

Reggie Jackson is a great, great player but also a serious egomaniac.
                              San Francisco Giants, World Series Champions in 2010, 2012, and 2014!!!

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts" ~ Albert Einstein

"Royals wear crowns, but Champions Kiss the Ring" ~ Jeremy Affeldt

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X