Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

classic line, forgot about that

Originally posted by Buczilla View Post
    "Out of what? A thousand?" - Mickey Rivers on hearing ex- New York Yankee teammate Reggie Jackson brag about having an IQ of 160

That was c/o the August 20, 1979 issue of SI.
    1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
    2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://forums.delphiforums.com/GamersParadise
    3. My table top gaming blog: http://cary333.blogspot.com/

Comment

The Reg is famous around the Bay Area for car dealerships that weren't doing too well (Palo Alto, Berkeley) that suddenly had mysterious 3 AM fires that allowed him to claim insurance money
      1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
      2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://forums.delphiforums.com/GamersParadise

Comment

Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post
        So the career .262 hitter with the all-time strikeout record is questioning other other HOF members' worthiness. Bizarre.
        You're like the Yankee fan version of me. I was thinking the same thing. On the HoF tier, Reggie is pretty damn low. Not saying he doesn't deserve to be in, but he's a lot closer to Jim Rice then some of the inner circle guys.

Comment

Originally posted by John Shoemaker View Post
          Why does he think Andy Pettite will get in and not Alex Rodriguez or Barry Bonds. Pettite used more PEDS than A-Rod and Bonds put together.
          I can't believe nobody called you out yet on that ridiculous quote.
          Lou Gehrig is the Truest Yankee of them all!

Comment

Originally posted by Seels View Post
            You're like the Yankee fan version of me. I was thinking the same thing. On the HoF tier, Reggie is pretty damn low. Not saying he doesn't deserve to be in, but he's a lot closer to Jim Rice then some of the inner circle guys.
            I never liked Reggie, but Rice is nowhere close to him.

Comment

Originally posted by Seels View Post
              not outside Fenway inflated Park

Comment

It will be interesting how or if the players mentioned will respond to Jacksons comments.

It would be interesting what Jackson thinks of Catfish Hunter too.
                "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Originally posted by chicagowhitesox1173 View Post
                  It will be interesting how or if the players mentioned will respond to Jacksons comments.

It would be interesting what Jackson thinks of Catfish Hunter too.

ARod responded by saying, " With friends like that, who needs enemies?"

Comment

Originally posted by White Knight View Post
                    I can't believe nobody called you out yet on that ridiculous quote.
                    Allegedly he's 100 years old and saw Babe Ruth play. I've never bought it.
                    My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
                    2. Barry Bonds
                    3. Ty Cobb
                    4. Ted Williams
                    5. Willie Mays
                    6. Alex Rodriguez
                    7. Hank Aaron
                    8. Honus Wagner
                    9. Lou Gehrig
                    10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post
                      Allegedly he's 100 years old and saw Babe Ruth play. I've never bought it.
                      I'm only 92 and I saw Babe Ruth play many times when I grew up in New York City.

Comment

I'm only 92 and I saw Babe Ruth play many times when I grew up in New York City.
                        You don't need to prove yourself to anyone here. Some are just cynical, not that there's really anything wrong with that.
                        Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                        Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                        Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                        Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                        Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

When I read what people like Reggie Jackson say, it just makes me appreciate people like Hank Aaron and Greg Maddux that much more.
                          "It's better to look good, than be good."

Comment

I still always found it interesting when you posted how your father actually saw Babe Ruth pitch.
                            "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Why does he think Andy Pettite will get in and not Alex Rodriguez or Barry Bonds. Pettite used more PEDS than A-Rod and Bonds put together.
                              Really, how are you aware of that John.
                              I'm not saying Andy is less guilty or more deserving but.........come on.

Comment

Originally posted by 9RoyHobbsRF View Post
                                as compared to womanizing drunk glutton ruth and racist cobb who were shining examples of class
                                I judge the greats by what they did between the foul lines. I doubt Babe Ruth could do what he did being drunk.
                                Like some other things about Ruth, some exaggeration.

Not condoning Cobb's ways it's what he did on the field.................far more talent than Reggie, far more, Ty makes my team.

Reggie is just one of those guys, every so often he shoots off his mouth.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X