No announcement yet.

Reggie Jackson comments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree with Shoeless; Reggie's one of those guys. There's another thread about this same topic going on in the Hall of Fame forum. I wouldn't put too much stock in Jackson's statement. He's an aging egotist hoping for just five more minutes of spotlight. Any HoFer can say what he wants about another, but Jackson said what he said to stir up some feelings. Sometimes he reminds me of Michael Moore, concocting controversy simply to stew in the middle of it with a mischievous smile.
    "Allen Sutton Sothoron pitched his initials off today."--1920s article

Comment

Reggie Jackson was an incredible clutch player. I'm not knocking his talent. But I wonder whether he woke up the other day and noticed he hadn't been quoted anywhere for a week or two, so he had to say SOMETHING.

Comment

Foot in mouth, I wonder what some of these guys think when they make statements of this type, it will just pass.
        Now he has to backtrack, play it like a politician.................tell us what he really meant, how he may have been misunderstood.
        Supposedly he and Alex spoke. I would have to assume Reggie contacted Arod. Arod did not open up as to what was said.

Comment

At least A-Rod is handling this better then when he usually steps in front of a camera/reporter
          All it takes for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing. -Unknown

A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination. -Nelson Mandela

Comment

It's pretty obvious Reggie Jackson lacks both reason and accountability. I hope he gets his someday, someway. He's a POS for sure. Guess no one ever told him that lazy, stupid and loud is no way to go thru life.
            "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

Originally posted by chicagowhitesox1173 View Post
              No wonder Billy Martin, Thurman Munson and Craig Nettles didn't get along with him.
              Did you ever hear about the time when Thurman Munson beat the crap out of Reggie Jackson at a wedding reception or something like that?

Though I agree with him about Jim Rice. Rice was good, not great.

Comment

As I vaguely recall Blyleven played on many very bad teams. If he played on the Yankees he could have had more than 300 wins.

Comment

Originally posted by Seattle1 View Post
                  Did you ever hear about the time when Thurman Munson beat the crap out of Reggie Jackson at a wedding reception or something like that?

I've never heard that story and I've read biographies on both men. Do you have the least bit of substantiation for it? We don't that type or rumor here.
                  Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                  Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                  Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                  Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                  Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Originally posted by Richard View Post
                    As I vaguely recall Blyleven played on many very bad teams. If he played on the Yankees he could have had more than 300 wins.
                    The Yankees won two world series titles during Blyleven's career, which was the same amount Blyleven won.
                    Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

I grant that point. But Reggie never played on the Twins and Rangers of the seventies and the Indians of the eighties.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard View Post
                        I grant that point. But Reggie never played on the Twins and Rangers of the seventies and the Indians of the eighties.
                        Some bad to mediocre teams, there. It is not a good point of contention that Blyleven should have won more.

Jackson has long been an elitist when it comes to HOF membership. This isn't really new.
                        Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Originally posted by Seattle1 View Post

The closest to that story I can come up with...............Nettles and Jackson square off, I think 1981 at a victory party, after beating Oakland post season.

Players family members present and Graig's wife's purse could no be found. She believed someone in Jackson's party took the purse, not so, purse later found under a table.

Jackson walked up to Nettles sitting at the bar, knocked a glass of beer out of Graig's hand. Nettles slugged Reggie on the side of the head, knocking him to the floor. Supposedly George Steinbrenner ran to the bar and yelled some comment about disgracing the Yanks and peace was restored.
                          Not sure of this part, George asked Reggie to leave the party, Reggie to George..."you'll regret this.' They seemed to make peace later.
                          Maybe another version of the event, but from all that I have read, Reggie did come up on the short end with Nettles.
                          Last edited by SHOELESSJOE3; 07-07-2012, 03:16 PM.

Comment

I just saw that the Yankees dont want Jackson near the clubhouse for the remainder of the year. I wonder if Arod had some input on that.
                            "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

I wonder if Arod had some input on that.
                              Ya think???? A-Rod is the biggest prima donna in MLB, and Hal Steinbrenner is going to keep his investment happy. How keeping Reggie away will accomplish that I don't know.

BTW, Reggies comments, especially concerning PED users and the HOF, are shared by a LOT of the guys in the HOF. Bob Feller would have had Reggie's back on this one to be sure!
                              “Well, I like to say I’m completely focused, right? I mean, the game’s on the line. It’s not like I’m thinking about what does barbecue Pop Chips and Cholula taste like. Because I already know that answer — it tastes friggin’ awesome!"--Brian Wilson

Comment

I just saw that the Yankees dont want Jackson near the clubhouse for the remainder of the year. I wonder if Arod had some input on that.
                                And with A-Rod struggling in the power department the last thing they want is Jackson talking about his power numbers not being legitimate.

I wouldn't have banned Jackson as he is a legend and entitled to his opinion, but I see why they were upset.
                                Chop! Chop! Chop!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X