Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

4 consecutive series against first place teams

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 4 consecutive series against first place teams

    With the Pirates over taking the Reds a few days ago, the Giants (who play Pitt next) will have played 4 consecutive series against first place teams

    I am sure it happens every so often, (especially with interleague play) but not so often it is common and all 4 series were against different NL teams as opposed to say a home and home series included as 2 of the 4 series

    Swept LA 3-0 (3 straight shutouts)
    Split with Cinci 2-2
    Swept by Washington 0-3
    5-5 so far
    Last edited by 9RoyHobbsRF; 07-06-2012, 08:05 AM.
    1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
    2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://forums.delphiforums.com/GamersParadise
    3. My table top gaming blog: http://cary333.blogspot.com/

  • #2
    Mets recently finished a long stretch of 20+ games against Yanks, Tampa, Baltimore, Cincy, LA, Washington.

    Comment


    • #3
      That Washington series was a nightmare.
      San Francisco Giants, World Series Champions in 2010, 2012, and 2014!!!

      "Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts" ~ Albert Einstein

      "Royals wear crowns, but Champions Kiss the Ring" ~ Jeremy Affeldt

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Rich the Giants fan View Post
        That Washington series was a nightmare.
        seems like washington is for real. After a lot of injuries (werth, zimmerman, morse) the team is now really playing well since they not only pitch but also hit a little. I think they are really the frontrunner to win the division now although the season is still long.
        I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by dominik View Post
          seems like washington is for real. After a lot of injuries (werth, zimmerman, morse) the team is now really playing well since they not only pitch but also hit a little. I think they are really the frontrunner to win the division now although the season is still long.
          I picked 'em before the season to finish first. They definitely play top notch ball.

          http://www.baseballevolution.com/pre...2richpred.html
          San Francisco Giants, World Series Champions in 2010, 2012, and 2014!!!

          "Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts" ~ Albert Einstein

          "Royals wear crowns, but Champions Kiss the Ring" ~ Jeremy Affeldt

          Comment


          • #6
            The Giants road pitching woes continue. They have allowed the second most runs on the road.
            Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

            Comment


            • #7
              The Nats lead the NL in home ERA and road ERA. Very impressive.
              Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
                The Giants road pitching woes continue. They have allowed the second most runs on the road.
                Park illusions are only relevant when discussing Carl Yastrzemski and Fenway park, but not the Giants' overrated pitching staff.
                My top 10 players:

                1. Babe Ruth
                2. Barry Bonds
                3. Ty Cobb
                4. Ted Williams
                5. Willie Mays
                6. Alex Rodriguez
                7. Hank Aaron
                8. Honus Wagner
                9. Lou Gehrig
                10. Mickey Mantle

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post
                  Park illusions are only relevant when discussing Carl Yastrzemski and Fenway park, but not the Giants' overrated pitching staff.
                  The are not overrated. As I posted in the thread linked below, the Giants' extreme home/road split this season is odd since they didn't show this kind of split in 2010-11 when they were among the best pitching staffs on the road. In 2010 the Giants were #1 in road ERA. In 2011 they were #3 in road ERA. Shoot in 2009 the Giants were #4 in road ERA.

                  http://www.baseball-fever.com/showth...me-road-splits
                  Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
                    The are not overrated. As I posted in the thread linked below, the Giants' extreme home/road split this season is odd since they didn't show this kind of split in 2010-11 when they were among the best pitching staffs on the road. In 2010 the Giants were #1 in road ERA. In 2011 they were #3 in road ERA. Shoot in 2009 the Giants were #4 in road ERA.

                    http://www.baseball-fever.com/showth...me-road-splits
                    I went overboard with the "overrated" but they are helped by their home park and league. If Matt Cain played his entire career for the Red Sox or Orioles, I doubt his career ERA would be under 4.00.
                    My top 10 players:

                    1. Babe Ruth
                    2. Barry Bonds
                    3. Ty Cobb
                    4. Ted Williams
                    5. Willie Mays
                    6. Alex Rodriguez
                    7. Hank Aaron
                    8. Honus Wagner
                    9. Lou Gehrig
                    10. Mickey Mantle

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
                      The Nats lead the NL in home ERA and road ERA. Very impressive.
                      The Pirates lead the NL(all of MLB too) at home with an ERA of 2.37. Your team is second, your biggest rival is third and that staff that pitches at Petco is fourth. The Nats come in 5th.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post
                        I went overboard with the "overrated" but they are helped by their home park and league. If Matt Cain played his entire career for the Red Sox or Orioles, I doubt his career ERA would be under 4.00.
                        Your post reminds me of one of Grant Brisbee's most hilarious articles.

                        http://www.mccoveychronicles.com/201...ceroy-of-stats
                        Last edited by Honus Wagner Rules; 07-06-2012, 11:20 AM.
                        Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Buczilla View Post
                          The Pirates lead the NL(all of MLB too) at home with an ERA of 2.37. Your team is second, your biggest rival is third and that staff that pitches at Petco is fourth. The Nats come in 5th.
                          Doh! Not sure how I screwed that up? Yes, the Bucs lead the NL in home ERA. That 2.37 home ERA is like something out of the 1970's. Wow.
                          Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            double post
                            Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              how over rated were they in 2010 when they had 3 world series games of 4 or less hits allowed (allowing 0, 0 and 1 run) , one of the all time best performances in a world series?

                              agaisnt a hitting team with a DH in a small ballpark in two of those games

                              Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post
                              Park illusions are only relevant when discussing Carl Yastrzemski and Fenway park, but not the Giants' overrated pitching staff.
                              1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
                              2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://forums.delphiforums.com/GamersParadise
                              3. My table top gaming blog: http://cary333.blogspot.com/

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X