Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Verlander Cain to start allstar game.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Verlander Cain to start allstar game.....

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_mlb&c_id=mlb

Personally i think Price or Sale should of started for the AL and Dickey for the NL.
    All it takes for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing. -Unknown

A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination. -Nelson Mandela

Big Matt Cain! Yes!
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Could pretty much flip a coin between Dickey and Cain; there are no wrong answers there. Dickey's stats are slightly better (though he lucked out to not lose his last start), but perhaps Cain's career numbers and perfect game this season may have tipped the scales.

Comment

LaRussa stated before that there's a good possibility that Dickey wouldn't be starting the game because he trusts Yadier Molina more than Buster Posey to catch the Knuckleball.
        My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
        2. Barry Bonds
        3. Ty Cobb
        4. Ted Williams
        5. Willie Mays
        6. Alex Rodriguez
        7. Hank Aaron
        8. Honus Wagner
        9. Lou Gehrig
        10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post
          LaRussa stated before that there's a good possibility that Dickey wouldn't be starting the game because he trusts Yadier Molina more than Buster Posey to catch the Knuckleball.
          Except that Yadier won't be playing -- he is on bereavement leave now after a death in the family. Of course, presumably La Russa made this decision before Molina was placed on the bereavement list, and doesn't want to change it now.

Comment

I demand a rational explanation on why Price deserves to start over Verlander. Rational.
            Using a stolen chant from Boston Celtics fans whenever an L.A. team is playing up there just reeks of inferiority complex.

If hitting a baseball is the toughest thing to do in sports, then pitching must be the easiest thing to do in sports.

Comment

Originally posted by UnderPressure View Post
              I demand a rational explanation on why Price deserves to start over Verlander. Rational.
              Price out-pitched him this year? And price has been having a very good year and is 11-4 2.82 ERA 1.20 Whip while Verlander is at 9-5 with a 2.58 ERA he seems to choke it up against real competition the yanks have bombed him we have and when he goes up against other teams ace's he also seems to lose. Sales numbers are even better.
              All it takes for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing. -Unknown

A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination. -Nelson Mandela

Comment

Jered Weaver is 10-1 and leads the league in ERA, WHIP, and H/9. Just sayin'
                My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
                2. Barry Bonds
                3. Ty Cobb
                4. Ted Williams
                5. Willie Mays
                6. Alex Rodriguez
                7. Hank Aaron
                8. Honus Wagner
                9. Lou Gehrig
                10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

Originally posted by RaysFan_98 View Post
                  Price out-pitched him this year? And price has been having a very good year and is 11-4 2.82 ERA 1.20 Whip while Verlander is at 9-5 with a 2.58 ERA he seems to choke it up against real competition the yanks have bombed him we have and when he goes up against other teams ace's he also seems to lose. Sales numbers are even better.
                  How did he outpich him? Oh, wow! Price has more wins and less losses!!! How convenient of you that you mentioned Price's 1.20 WHIP when Verlander owns him in that category. He has a 0.95 WHIP. He also has more strikeouts and less walks. "Real competition" <----------------

Verlander's stats >>> Price's stats

Sales yes. Price no.
                  Using a stolen chant from Boston Celtics fans whenever an L.A. team is playing up there just reeks of inferiority complex.

If hitting a baseball is the toughest thing to do in sports, then pitching must be the easiest thing to do in sports.

Comment

Originally posted by RaysFan_98 View Post
                    I didn't know games that weren't head-to-head or against the Yankees didn't count. Outside of those claims, the numbers suggest that any of Verlander, Sale and Weaver deserve it over Price. Price is a deserving All-Star, but IMO not as a starter over any of those three. Only "wins" give him the advantage, a statistic more dependent on your teammates than the others.

Comment

I would have picked RA Dickey over Matt Cain.

Comment

Originally posted by redban View Post
                        I would have picked RA Dickey over Matt Cain.
                        I would have too. Dickey's numbers are better across the board, and he isn't helped by his home park as Cain is.
                        Last edited by GiambiJuice; 07-09-2012, 10:12 AM.
                        My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
                        2. Barry Bonds
                        3. Ty Cobb
                        4. Ted Williams
                        5. Willie Mays
                        6. Alex Rodriguez
                        7. Hank Aaron
                        8. Honus Wagner
                        9. Lou Gehrig
                        10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post
                          I would have too. Dickey's numbers are better across the board, and he isn't helped by his home park as Cain is.
                          Has the change of dimensions at Citi Field helped hitters?

Comment

Originally posted by UnderPressure View Post
                            Has the change of dimensions at Citi Field helped hitters?
                            Possibly, I don't know. I'm just going based on both pitchers' home/away splits. Cain is good but not great away from AT&T park, and he's Sandy Koufax at home. Dickey's numbers are practically identical at home and on the road. And his numbers are better across the board anyway.
                            My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
                            2. Barry Bonds
                            3. Ty Cobb
                            4. Ted Williams
                            5. Willie Mays
                            6. Alex Rodriguez
                            7. Hank Aaron
                            8. Honus Wagner
                            9. Lou Gehrig
                            10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

Dickey's had the better season. Cain has been great, but Dickey deserves to start.
                              San Francisco Giants, World Series Champions in 2010, 2012, and 2014!!!

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts" ~ Albert Einstein

"Royals wear crowns, but Champions Kiss the Ring" ~ Jeremy Affeldt

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X