The A's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The A's?

Wow where did they come from, they have had some serious injuries etc but are now in contention for a wild card anyway and since June 10 are 23-9 which I beleive is the best record in baseball during this time.

They swept the then first place Dodgers, swept the Red Sox and currently won the first two games against the red hot Yankees.

They actually have held their own against the Rangers (6-6) and actually are 5-4 vs the Angels, both teams ahead of them in the standings.

They have by far the best ERA in the AL
    Last edited by 9RoyHobbsRF; 07-21-2012, 01:23 PM.
    1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
    2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://forums.delphiforums.com/GamersParadise
    3. My table top gaming blog: http://cary333.blogspot.com/

Oakland leads the majors in walk-off wins with 10 including seven times in the past 14 home games

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/bas...#ixzz21Iw89Oux
    1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
    2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://forums.delphiforums.com/GamersParadise

Comment

They're pretenders, they'll sink come the dog days of August.
      San Francisco Giants, World Series Champions in 2010, 2012, and 2014!!!

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts" ~ Albert Einstein

"Royals wear crowns, but Champions Kiss the Ring" ~ Jeremy Affeldt

Comment

Originally posted by 9RoyHobbsRF View Post
        Oakland leads the majors in walk-off wins with 10 including seven times in the past 14 home games

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/bas...#ixzz21Iw89Oux
        Twice this season they have had a player hit a walk off home run for his first career homer. Pretty crazy sidenote there.

Comment

Don't think their offense is good enough to stay in contention. If they make a move to acquire some more offense then we can talk.

Comment

they just beat the red hot yankees for the third straight game

the Yanks had come in on a 30-10 spurt, that's .750 folks

Comment

they just beat the red hot yankees for the third straight game

the Yanks had come in on a 30-10 spurt, that's .750 folks
              And the Giants lost 5/6 games to the Marlins this year. Those kinds of thing happen to every team over a long season. Sweeping the Yankees tells us very little about the A's long term chances of success.
              1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
              The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew C. View Post
                And the Giants lost 5/6 games to the Marlins this year. Those kinds of thing happen to every team over a long season. Sweeping the Yankees tells us very little about the A's long term chances of success.
                are u trolling?

the A's have won 12 of 14 and have the best record IN THE ML since June 10

Comment

are u trolling?

the A's have won 12 of 14 and have the best record IN THE ML since June 10
                  After a torrid stretch that is impossible to keep up, they have the 7th best record in the AL. They have good pitching, yes, but I do not think they will be a playoff team. That is a prediction based on their talent. I could be wrong and they could make it, but that isn't trolling. I imagine a huge majority of people agree with me that they are not a playoff team - so if I am a troll... Trolling is when someone goes out of their way to irritate people or start conflict by typically taking extreme or unpopular positions. I don't see how I have done that here.

The Rockies won 10 out of 13 games earlier this season. The Cubs had a stretch this year where they won 15 out of 19 games. Teams have ebbs and flows throughout the season. There is nothing on their roster to indicate that the A's are a great team. I root for the A's and would rather them win than the Sox or the Yankees or the Rangers or the Tigers, so I hope I am wrong...

I just don't get to high or to low when a team goes on a big run or a big slump - a pretty reasonable response, if you ask me. I'd like to think it is called perspective and not trolling.
                  Last edited by Bothrops Atrox; 07-21-2012, 09:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew C. View Post
                    After a torrid stretch that is impossible to keep up, they have the 7th best record in the AL. They have good pitching, yes, but I do not think they will be a playoff team. That is a prediction based on their talent. I could be wrong and they could make it, but that isn't trolling. I imagine a huge majority of people agree with me that they are not a playoff team - so if I am a troll... Trolling is when someone goes out of their way to irritate people or start conflict by typically taking extreme or unpopular positions. I don't see how I have done that here.

The Rockies won 10 out of 13 games earlier this season. The Cubs had a stretch this year where they won 15 out of 19 games. Teams have ebbs and flows throughout the season. There is nothing on their roster to indicate that the A's are a great team. I root for the A's and would rather them win than the Sox or the Yankees or the Rangers or the Tigers, so I hope I am wrong...

I just don't get to high or to low when a team goes on a big run or a big slump - a pretty reasonable response, if you ask me. I'd like to think it is called perspective and not trolling.

agree 100%. They've played as well as they can possibly play for a while now, and still are behind too many teams that quite simply have more talent than they do at the moment.

It's not a knock on them. They're an exciting young team, just not there yet in most people's view.
                    "all the mets road wins against the dodgers this year have occured at Dodger Stadium"---Ralph Kiner

"Blind people came to the park just to listen to him pitch"---Reggie Jackson, talking about Tom Seaver

Comment

Originally posted by m8644 View Post
                      agree 100%. They've played as well as they can possibly play for a while now, and still are behind too many teams that quite simply have more talent than they do at the moment.

It's not a knock on them. They're an exciting young team, just not there yet in most people's view.
                      Right, I am not knocking on them at all - I have always rooted for the A's.

Comment

As much as I'd love to see it, it just won't happen; the competition is much too fierce. They'd have to beat out all non-New York Yankees teams in the AL East since I can't see them placing any higher than third in their division come October, and that just doesn't seem possible.
                        "Baseball is really fun"~ Joe Dimaggio
                        "I really like baseball"~ Babe Ruth
                        "Baseball is my favorite sport"~ Pete Rose

Comment

they are really having a hot stretch hower it will be really tough for them even if they stay hot for the rest of the season. they have 2 really strong teams in their own division. and even the second WC is hard to reach since there are a lot of good teams in the AL.
                          I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

The A's are 38-24 (.613%) with Cespedes in the lineup and 12-20 (.375%) when he's not in the lineup. If they do reach the playoffs, he should be mentioned in the MVP voting if only for how important he's been for the team.
                            "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Grimm View Post
                              The A's are 38-24 (.613%) with Cespedes in the lineup and 12-20 (.375%) when he's not in the lineup. If they do reach the playoffs, he should be mentioned in the MVP voting if only for how important he's been for the team.
                              Or that winning percentage could just happen to coincide with the A's hot streak. Let the season play out and see where that percentage stands when it's all said and done.
                              San Francisco Giants, World Series Champions in 2010, 2012, and 2014!!!

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts" ~ Albert Einstein

"Royals wear crowns, but Champions Kiss the Ring" ~ Jeremy Affeldt

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X