Astros

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Astros

Talk about cleaning house. I was just looking over salary stuff and noticed that outside of a Chris Snyder's mutual option, the Stros don't have a single player under contract that isn't of the arbitration variety for next season. Their base going into next season is $5.5 million dollars, $5 million going to Wandy who isn't there anymore and $500k if the mutual contract is agreed upon on both sides.

I have seen fire sales, massive salary dumps, but I can't ever remember a team going into the next season with almost a clean slate only having to worry about arbitration eligible contracts.
    Last edited by Buczilla; 07-28-2012, 01:33 PM.

Originally posted by Buczilla View Post
    Talk about cleaning house. I was just looking over salary stuff and noticed that outside of a Chris Snyder's mutual option, the Stros don't have a single player under contract that isn't of the arbitration variety for next season. Their base going into next season is $5.5 million dollars, $5 million going to Wandy who isn't there anymore and $500k if the mutual contract is agreed upon on both sides.

I have seen fire sales, massive salary dumps, but I can't ever remember a team going into the next season with almost a clean slate only having to worry about arbitration eligible contracts.
    It's a unique situation; they had to blow up like that because of their move to the American League.
    46 wins to match last year's total

Comment

Absolutely the worst team since the 2003 Tigers. But you never know. Remember, Detroit made the WS just 3 years removed from that nightmare year. The problem is I have a hard time seeing the Astros atrracting marquee free agents right away like the Tigers did (Pudge, Magglio).
      Last edited by UnderPressure; 07-28-2012, 01:43 PM.
      Using a stolen chant from Boston Celtics fans whenever an L.A. team is playing up there just reeks of inferiority complex.

If hitting a baseball is the toughest thing to do in sports, then pitching must be the easiest thing to do in sports.

Comment

Originally posted by UnderPressure View Post
        Absolutely the worst team since the 2003 Tigers. But you never know. Remember, Detroit made the WS just 3 years removed from that nightmare year. The problem is I have a hard time seeing the Astros atrracting marquee free agents right away like the Tigers did (Pudge, Magglio).
        I was actually shocked the Tigers got big name free agents back then. I can kinda see why players are there now but back in 04 Detroit seemed like the worst place to go for a free agent.
        "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

I remember talking on my old message board back in the 00's how I really wanted Detroit to get back to relevance simply because they had such a deep history. I've been in the same boat the past five years with Pittsburgh and maybe they're finally getting to where they need to be. They play in one of the nicest ML parks - build up a winning tradition and FAs may start looking to go there.
          "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

Comment

It also helped that the Tigers drafted some kid name Justin Verlander in 2004.
            Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
              It also helped that the Tigers drafted some kid name Justin Verlander in 2004.
              I think Verlander helped get guys like Caberra and Fielder but back in 03 and 04 I was kinda surprised Ordonez and Rodriguez went there. If I was a free agent I don't know what would be the attraction to play in Detroit besides the money of course. Especially back in the early to mid 2000's Detroit as a city was in pretty bad shape.

I can actually see players going to Pittsburgh, I think the only city where it might be tough to lure free agents is KansasCity these days.
              "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Wow that is something different never heard of a team having almost no salary's on the books.
                All it takes for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing. -Unknown

A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination. -Nelson Mandela

Comment

Any bets on when the Astros will win another game? They are 2-25 since June 28th. That is an incredible stat.

I've never been big on the Astros, but to me it's ridiculous to see a team with 50 years of history in a league be forced to switch to the other. Shoulda coulda been Milwaukee or one of the purple teams (though the Diamondbacks are no longer purple).

They're sure to have fun getting the stuffing beaten out of them by their 'natural rival' (whatever that even means) the Texas Rangers over the next year or two. They'll have to revive those retro jerseys a bit more often to remind fans of better times. I think even George Bush I has stopped watching them.
                  smoker

Comment

And now they're working on the arb-eligible players. They already moved Happ and today they sent Chris Johnson to Arizona for two minor leaguers.
                    "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Grimm View Post
                      And now they're working on the arb-eligible players. They already moved Happ and today they sent Chris Johnson to Arizona for two minor leaguers.
                      Thats crazy what are they gonna do for a team next year.
                      All it takes for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing. -Unknown

A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination. -Nelson Mandela

Comment

The highest-priced player in Houston's lineup today is Chris Snyder ($750K). Every other player on the field - including the pitcher - is less than $500K.

Comment

I think what the Astros have done should have happened a couple years ago. One look at their farm system numbers leaves great hope for their future. One can't help but drool at the numbers coming off of so many sticks in the minors.

Comment

Houston potentially has a lot of money to throw around this winter. Not only is Snyder the only player currently under contract for 2013, the only money earmarked for 2014 is $5.5MM owed to the Pirates for Rodriguez. That's some serious payroll flexibility.
                            San Francisco Giants, World Series Champions in 2010, 2012, and 2014!!!

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts" ~ Albert Einstein

"Royals wear crowns, but Champions Kiss the Ring" ~ Jeremy Affeldt

Comment

Do you know what the Astros need?

Kyle Kendrick.
                              The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X