baseball empty seat phenomenon hits the olympics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• baseball empty seat phenomenon hits the olympics

looks like the people controlling the tickets sale to the events at the olympics
    did the same mistake that major league baseball has done
    that is the selling of the prime seats to corporations at high end prices in order to make money
    instead of selling those seats at reasonally affordable price to the average fan
    and likewise the corporate people or family members etc NOT showing up at the SOLD OUT events

hence the similar problem of plenty of empty seats on tv
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/gall...lympic-tickets

at least they thought of a good kind way of filling up those seats
    sigpic

I think they had the same problem 4 years ago. Personally I dont know how anyone would want to watch the olympics anyways. It's always been very boring to me. I just don't see any thrill in watching some biking or shotputs events.
    "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Looks like there's plenty of people at the USA - Montenegro water polo game.
      46 wins to match last year's total

Comment

I didn't even know baseball was being played on the Olympic stage
        All it takes for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing. -Unknown

A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination. -Nelson Mandela

Comment

Originally posted by RaysFan_98 View Post
          I dont think alot of countries have baseball teams, I think in 1984 alot of the other countries objected to baseball even being part of the olympics because it was to American.
          "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Originally posted by chicagowhitesox1173 View Post
            I dont think alot of countries have baseball teams, I think in 1984 alot of the other countries objected to baseball even being part of the olympics because it was to American.
            I believe it was Cuba that was dominating it during its time in the Olympics? The USA dominated the softball which is the big reason it got cut. Both sports are trying to get back in for 2020, but I'm not going to hold my breath. I read the other day one big reason the Olympics bumped baseball was because MLB wouldn't put the season on hold so the players could play...
            Mike Hopper
            Former Gateway Grizzlies Intern

Comment

most events at the olympics are really packed. I watched swimming and rowing and all seats were filled.

re: baseball in the OGs
              MLB doesn't need the olympics and the olympics don't need semi-pro baseball. thus baseball got cut and won't come back. that is bad for baseball outside america/asia but the MLB and the olympics don't really care. they make enough money without it.
              Last edited by dominik; 07-29-2012, 01:54 PM.
              I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

Originally posted by Bulldog19 View Post
                I believe it was Cuba that was dominating it during its time in the Olympics? The USA dominated the softball which is the big reason it got cut. Both sports are trying to get back in for 2020, but I'm not going to hold my breath. I read the other day one big reason the Olympics bumped baseball was because MLB wouldn't put the season on hold so the players could play...
                I haven't been following the Olympics but I thought the USA had one.

Comment

[QUOTE=dominik;2042952]most events at the olympics are really packed. I watched swimming and rowing and all seats were filled.

that because of the "fans in front" and other policies that went into effect
                  http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012...ats-locog-army

basically if there are empty seats in the TV eye,
                  they have fans move down and in front to fill up those seats
                  so that they won't look empty on tv

also they took tickets away from sponsors
                  and either gave them away for free to students, teachers,military and voluteers
                  or sold them at the gate prior to the event

similar to what MLB baseball teams do

I know the mets in the past have ask fans from the upper level
                  to feel free to move down to almost any (no vip) seats in the lower level
                  and ALL mlb team give away free (COMP) tickets to teachers,students,military and others
                  and yes some team do sell tickets at the gate prior to game time that are release back
                  by the sponsors/team family, etc
                  Last edited by drdg; 07-29-2012, 02:31 PM.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SamtheBravesFan View Post
                    Looks like there's plenty of people at the USA - Montenegro water polo game.
                    I sure hope those horses can swim.
                    They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

It's not. However, as Bulldog says...

Originally posted by Bulldog19 View Post
                      I believe it was Cuba that was dominating it during its time in the Olympics? The USA dominated the softball which is the big reason it got cut. Both sports are trying to get back in for 2020, but I'm not going to hold my breath.
                      Originally posted by Bulldog19
                      I read the other day one big reason the Olympics bumped baseball was because MLB wouldn't put the season on hold so the players could play...
                      Actually, MLB has nothing to do with whether or not the Olympics have baseball. The Olympics are purely for non-professionals, therefore MLB players are ineligible. IF the Olympics were to have baseball return, the players who participate would be eligible for pro-ball only after they performed in the Olympic games.

Anyway, I'm not sure how baseball-related this thread is as a whole. We'll see how it goes, but I don't foresee it having a long life.
                      Put it in the books.

Comment

I think they had the same problem 4 years ago. Personally I dont know how anyone would want to watch the olympics anyways. It's always been very boring to me. I just don't see any thrill in watching some biking or shotputs events.
                        I watch as many events as I can. The Olympics only happening in every four years makes me want ti watch even though some of the events are really boring. Some of the sports that I enjoy watching are water polo, swimming, boxing, beach volleyball, and quidditch. Of course, I'll always tune in for basketball, tennis, and football (soccer).

And milladrive, I'm pretty sure minor league players are considered professionals, just not at the highest level. Therefore, professional baseball players DID participate in the Olympics.
                        Using a stolen chant from Boston Celtics fans whenever an L.A. team is playing up there just reeks of inferiority complex.

If hitting a baseball is the toughest thing to do in sports, then pitching must be the easiest thing to do in sports.

Comment

Originally posted by milladrive View Post
                          Actually, MLB has nothing to do with whether or not the Olympics have baseball. The Olympics are purely for non-professionals, therefore MLB players are ineligible. IF the Olympics were to have baseball return, the players who participate would be eligible for pro-ball only after they performed in the Olympic games.
                          Have you taken a gander at the US men's basketball team? Kobe, Durant, LBJ, etc. Tony Parker is playing for France.
                          I just saw that Sharapova is playing tennis, too.
                          The alpine skiers in the Winter Games are all pros, too...Vonn, Bode, Riesch, Ligety, etc.
                          The barrier to professionals in the Olympics has been shattered for some time, but I'm not sure quite when it happened.
                          "If I drink whiskey, I'll never get worms!" - Hack Wilson

Comment

Originally posted by UnderPressure View Post
                            And milladrive, I'm pretty sure minor league players are considered professionals, just not at the highest level. Therefore, professional baseball players DID participate in the Olympics.
                            Originally posted by Dude Paskert View Post
                            Have you taken a gander at the US men's basketball team? Kobe, Durant, LBJ, etc. Tony Parker is playing for France.
                            I just saw that Sharapova is playing tennis, too.
                            The alpine skiers in the Winter Games are all pros, too...Vonn, Bode, Riesch, Ligety, etc.
                            The barrier to professionals in the Olympics has been shattered for some time, but I'm not sure quite when it happened.
                            Hmm, I stand corrected then. I was certain the Olympics were for amateurs only, but obviously that's no longer the case. Live'n'learn. Thanks much for the info. Shows how much I follow the Olympics.
                            Put it in the books.

Comment

Mostly sports I don't want to watch on a daily basis, why would I suddenly want to watch them every four years? I'm not big on the Olympics.
                              San Francisco Giants, World Series Champions in 2010, 2012, and 2014!!!

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts" ~ Albert Einstein

"Royals wear crowns, but Champions Kiss the Ring" ~ Jeremy Affeldt

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X