Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strasburg Innings Limit

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...f6d8_blog.html

Manager Davey Johnson said on PTI the other night that management was likely to enforce a 160 IP limit on Strasburg. If this is true, the Nats management have completely lost their minds.

Saving a pitcher's arm for the long run is a noble goal, but why do so when they have their first ever legitimate shot at a postseason run? Why bank on next year when you know you have a shot this year? Would they really risk alienating an entire fan base by shutting down their ace pitcher in the midst of a playoff race? Not to mention, could they win a playoff series without him? If they knew there was an innings limit, why not have him sit in April instead of waiting til now?

I know there his been a lot of debate on this site about the value of pitch counts and innings limits and whether or not they actually work. But whatever your opinion is, I think it's safe to agree, this is just dumb the Nationals part (again, if true).
    Religion: Yankeeist

"Hanging out with him sucks because all the women flock to him. Let's see, he's been on the cover of GQ, is rich and famous, hits for average and power and is a helluva nice guy." - Tim Raines on Derek Jeter

Nats management clearly isn't the smartest bunch of tools in the tool shed if they do this..... But then again the rest of there staff has been really good so far so who knows.
    All it takes for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing. -Unknown

A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination. -Nelson Mandela

Comment

He's at 121.1 innings right now. Assuming he has about 10 starts left, they could just pull him after the fourth inning in each one.
      Baseball Junk Drawer

Comment

Hindsight is 20/20 of course, but if they knew they were gonna enforce an innings limit on him, who not have him miss the first 6-8 weeks of the season instead of the last 6 weeks or so?

Comment

Will his pay be cut accordingly? Are they going to stand fast to the 160 innings or will they review his situation as he gets closer to that number?
          "A hot dog at the ballgame beats roast beef at the Ritz." ~Humphrey Bogart

No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference. ~Tommy Lasorda

Comment

Originally posted by ian2813 View Post
            He's at 121.1 innings right now. Assuming he has about 10 starts left, they could just pull him after the fourth inning in each one.
            They still wouldn't have him for the postseason then.
            Religion: Yankeeist

"Hanging out with him sucks because all the women flock to him. Let's see, he's been on the cover of GQ, is rich and famous, hits for average and power and is a helluva nice guy." - Tim Raines on Derek Jeter

Comment

why not shut him down now for a 3-4 weeks and then reactivate him when it gets really hot in september and eventually the post season? that way he could stay below the 160 and still contribute.
              I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

Originally posted by RubeBaker View Post
                They still wouldn't have him for the postseason then.
                Maybe they could do what the 1929 A's did with Howard Ehmke: Send him to scout their potential playoff opponents and then have him well-rested to mow them down.
                Baseball Junk Drawer

Comment

They should do what the Whitesox are doing with Chris Sale. Pitch him with 8 or 9 days rest.
                  "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Originally posted by chicagowhitesox1173 View Post
                    They should do what the Whitesox are doing with Chris Sale. Pitch him with 8 or 9 days rest.
                    Sale has pitched on four days rest five times, five days rest nine times and six days rest twice. He's also pitched on 3 and 11 days rest, once each. He has not pitched one time on 8 or 9 days of rest.
                    San Francisco Giants, World Series Champions in 2010, 2012, and 2014!!!

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts" ~ Albert Einstein

"Royals wear crowns, but Champions Kiss the Ring" ~ Jeremy Affeldt

Comment

The Nats are wise to look towards more than just this year. With all the young talent they have, they could have a half a decade or more of NL East dominance, if they play it smart. Part of that success has got to include Strasburg. Shutting him down (GM Mike Rizzo has several times said there is no actual limit, but that he will at some point be shut down) a year after TJ surgery is just plain smart.

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts" ~ Albert Einstein

Comment

Maybe they should take the skirt off (of his agent especially!). Strasburg is not the only pitcher coming off of Tommy John surgery. But I don't hear other teams talking about inning limits for particular pitchers left and right..

He's paid to pitch. If he can't pitch, then he is way over paid.
                        Mike Hopper
                        Former Gateway Grizzlies Intern

Comment

Originally posted by Bulldog19 View Post
                          Maybe they should take the skirt off (of his agent especially!). Strasburg is not the only pitcher coming off of Tommy John surgery. But I don't hear other teams talking about inning limits for particular pitchers left and right..

And if his arm falls off in the process, then he must not have been all that good to begin with, right?

Comment

You don't hear talk about this being done for the other pitchers because they're not Strasburg, who is under a microscope.

Washington's pitching is so strong right now they might be able to rest Strasburg and get away with it.

Originally posted by Bulldog19 View Post

Comment

Originally posted by Rich the Giants fan View Post
                              Sale has pitched on four days rest five times, five days rest nine times and six days rest twice. He's also pitched on 3 and 11 days rest, once each. He has not pitched one time on 8 or 9 days of rest.
                              They just picked up Liriano. For the remainder of the year Sale will be used between 6 to 9 days rest. There not shutting him down like Strasburg. That's why I pointed out maybe they should try what the Whitesox are doing with Sale.
                              "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X