Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

September callups - who benefits the most?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• September callups - who benefits the most?

Was just thinking about some teams in contention ...

who benefits from expanded rosters the most?
    A) good pitching teams who can now add depth to their position players roster
    B) good hitting teams who can now add more arms to their pitching staff, who may be having a few tired arms
    or even
    C) teams out of contention who can give their promising developing players some ML experience
    Last edited by 9RoyHobbsRF; 08-09-2012, 12:49 PM.
    1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
    2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://forums.delphiforums.com/GamersParadise
    3. My table top gaming blog: http://cary333.blogspot.com/

Originally posted by 9RoyHobbsRF View Post

B) good hitting teams who can now add more arms to their pitching staff, who may be having a few tired arms
    or even
    C) teams out of contention who can give their promising developing players some ML experience
    I think added depth helps everyone everywhere.

Comment

yes of course, but does one help MORE???
      1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
      2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://forums.delphiforums.com/GamersParadise
      3. My table top gaming blog: http://cary333.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by 9RoyHobbsRF View Post

or even
        I think it's a bit too broad of a stroke since many teams find themselves in different positions heading into September. Option A & B could have some expiring contracts and this would give them a glimpse to see if they need to go outside the org next season or if a kid can step in and play next year. But, even a good pitching team may actually prefer some extra bullpen arms - or hitting teams may want some extra bench depth to give their starters more chances to rest (depending on whether or not they have a big lead or are in the mix for a playoff spot).

Personally, I don't know that any hitting-reliant/pitching-reliant teams make out any better going either way. I doubt a hitting team in a race would simply throw a call-up on the mound as a starter unless they're 10 games up on everybody else. If anything, maybe if a team is too LH-heavy offensively, the depth gives them some extra RH hitters on the bench and vise versa. A speedy kid (even without good hitting technique) can come in handy as a late-inning baserunning replacement as games can get tight down to the wire.

I simply think there's too many variables in play that it makes it almost impossible to say "this one has the most benefits".

Now, of course option C is used all the time and I doubt it ever hurts a team out of contention.

I have a feeling I may be missing exactly what you're asking for here, but as I read it, I don't think there is a true correct answer.
        "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X