Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Palmeiro says Clemens and Bonds belong in Cooperstown

http://espn.go.com/dallas/mlb/story/...long-hall-fame

ARLINGTON, Texas -- Former Texas Rangers and Baltimore Orioles slugger Rafael Palmeiro said Friday that Roger Clemens and Barry Bonds should be voted into the Baseball Hall of Fame.

"You're talking about, in my opinion, probably the best pitcher of all-time and the greatest player of all time," Palmeiro said. "Keep them out and then the Hall of Fame has no credibility."

Palmeiro, who was suspended 10 games by Major League Baseball in 2005 after testing positive for stanozolol, an anabolic steroid, said he's proud of his career and how he played, even if he's denied a spot in the Hall of Fame.

Palmeiro was voted on just 11 percent of the ballots in his first attempt into the Hall of Fame in 2011. He received 12.6 percent in 2012, well short of the 75 percent needed from voting members of the Baseball Writers Association of America. And he seems to understand it's unlikely he'll get enough votes to make it to Cooperstown.

"I put that behind me already," said Palmeiro, who was in Arlington after being voted by the fans as one of the greatest Rangers of all time as part of the club's 40th anniversary celebration. "I know what kind of career I had. I'm good with it. I can look at myself in the mirror and feel good and proud of what I accomplished. The Hall of Fame would be icing on the cake, but if it doesn't happen, I'm fine with it. I will accept that and move on and live with it."

Palmeiro didn't discuss specifics about his test on Friday, but he has maintained in previous interviews that a B-12 shot he received while in Baltimore was tainted, causing the positive test.

Palmeiro said his career numbers -- 569 home runs and 3,020 hits in a 20-year career spent mainly with the Orioles and Rangers -- don't even stack up to Clemens and Bonds, two others who played during the game's steroid era.

"We're talking a different level of player," Palmeiro said. "Clemens and Bonds, 10 years before they retired they were the best players in the game. These guys dominated the game before anything was ever mentioned about anything.

"So it's going to be interesting. I don't know if they're going to get in or not. But I'm sure they'd say the same thing. They didn't play the game for the Hall of Fame. They played the game because they loved to play the game as kids growing up and it was their career, it was the way they made a living for their families and that's what's important."

Palmeiro, who attended Pudge Rodriguez's retirement news conference earlier this season and said he still goes to many Rangers games, said the game is focused on its current crop of stars and not those from his era.

"Baseball did what they had to do to fix the game or clean the game," Palmeiro said. "So they're moving on. Baseball is bigger than any player that ever played the game. Our era is over with and they're focusing now on the era that's here now and they're improving the game, which is the important thing."

A 'roid head defending two other 'roid heads? I'm shocked!
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game - the American game.
    - Walt Whitman

Comment

Did he point his finger at the reporter as he made this momentous declaration?

I'll give him one thing, he definitely knows all about having "no credibility".
      3 6 10 21 29 31 35 41 42 44 47

Comment

Was he pointing his finger at the reporter as he said this?
        Last edited by metfan13; 08-13-2012, 05:32 AM.

Comment

How many people believe Roger Clemens is the greatest pitcher of all time?
          Last edited by TonyK; 08-12-2012, 09:18 AM.
          "He's tougher than a railroad sandwich."
          "You'se Got The Eye Of An Eagle."

Comment

Originally posted by TonyK View Post
            How many people believe Roger Clemens is the greatest pitcher of all time?
            Or that he was still dominant in 1996?

Comment

Of course Palmerio is going to defend others who are linked to steroids. It would make no sense for him to say that the two best players of the steroid era (Bonds and Clemens) don't belong, especially when he himself tested positive for steroids, not to mention had a vastly inferior career to both of them.

For what it's worth, I actually used to like Palmerio a lot, and believed in his innocence. It's too bad I was wrong about him.

Comment

Originally posted by Los Bravos View Post
                Or that he was still dominant in 1996?
                He was probably the second best pitcher in the AL in '96. 242 innings 257 Ks and 139 ERA+ is better than some Cy Young seasons out there. 10-13 record but based on runs saved he should have gone about 18-7, and he only allowed a .199 average with runners in scoring position.

Comment

That was after a string of three subpar and/or injury plagued seasons that had knocked him from his perch as one of the most dominant pitchers in the AL.

Unlike Bonds, who was still a top shelf player with a productive decline period ahead of him in 1998, Clemens' career was in question.

Comment

Originally posted by Los Bravos View Post
                    That was after a string of three subpar and/or injury plagued seasons that had knocked him from his perch as one of the most dominant pitchers in the AL.
                    Although I have absolutely no proof of this, I believe Clemens started experimenting with steroids in his last few years in Boston. Remember that often steroids don't work right away. Sometimes it's about finding whichever steroid cocktail works the best for you. That said, Clemens was still good in his last few years in Boston. Certainly nowhere near done. His 1996 season was arguably superior to any of his seasons with the Yankees.

As for when Bonds started, I used to think he probably used pre 1999, but I just recently finished reading the book "Game of Shadows" (yes I know I'm six years late when it comes to that), and the guys who wrote the book seemed to do such thorough research on Bonds use, and yet concluded that Bonds started using in 1999. Perhaps they just didn't find evidence of early usage by Bonds, but then again maybe he did start using because he was "jealous" of Mcgwire and Sosa.
                    Last edited by fenrir; 08-12-2012, 04:33 AM.

Comment

Raffy is right. PED's don't locate the ball and other players could take a truck load of roids and still not do what Bonds done.

Note to Feds> ha ha!
                      sigpic

"If I hear Bowie Kuhn say just once more he's doing something for the betterment of baseball, I'm going to throw-up.">Sparky Anderson
                      MLB/Rockies/Yankees, Backer

Comment

Originally posted by OmartgSS View Post
                        Raffy is right. PED's don't locate the ball and other players could take a truck load of roids and still not do what Bonds done.

Note to Feds> ha ha!
                        PEDs still help shorten recovery times and keep the body running at peak level - only making guys like Clemens and Bonds that much better.
                        WAR? Prove it!

Trusted Traders: ttmman21, Dalkowski110, BoofBonser26, Kearns643, HudsonHarden, Extra Innings, MadHatter, Mike D., J.P., SShifflett

Comment

Originally posted by OmartgSS View Post

Note to Feds> ha ha!
                          Save your ha has for exoneration and/or actual election to the HOF. Right now Bonds and Clemens are still punchlines and cheaters in the eyes of the general public. Not being convicted really hasn't done much for them, nor does an actually caught user's word.
                          Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                          Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                          Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                          Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                          Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

In related news, OJ Simpson says that Ochocinco should receive the "Husband of the Year" award.
                            "If I drink whiskey, I'll never get worms!" - Hack Wilson

Comment

Well of course he thinks they should. His odds improve once a name linked to steroids gets in and the floodgates open.
                              Religion: Yankeeist

"Hanging out with him sucks because all the women flock to him. Let's see, he's been on the cover of GQ, is rich and famous, hits for average and power and is a helluva nice guy." - Tim Raines on Derek Jeter

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X