X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jnakamura
    • Oct 2008

More tests and harsher penalties for PEDs

EVERY player needs to be tested on a regular basis for all banned substances.

The current system is still a joke--1,400 random tests during the season...allowing players like Cabrera to get away with juicing for 117 games without being caught and allowing his team to be in 1st place as a result.

Test every player every 6 weeks and this garbage will be nipped in the bud.

-
    Last edited by jnakamura; 08-15-2012, 01:49 PM.
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game - the American game.
    - Walt Whitman
  • chicagowhitesox1173
    2005 World Series Champs
    • Jun 2010

I think they should do hair testing.
    "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

• GiambiJuice
      • May 2005

Originally posted by jnakamura View Post
      EVERY player needs to be tested on a regular basis for all banned substances.

The current system is still a joke--1,400 random tests during the season...allowing players like Cabrera to get away with juicing for 117 games without being caught and allowing his team to be in 1st place as a result.

Test every player every month and this garbage will be nipped in the bud.
      Pun intended?
      My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
      2. Barry Bonds
      3. Ty Cobb
      4. Ted Williams
      5. Willie Mays
      6. Alex Rodriguez
      7. Hank Aaron
      8. Honus Wagner
      9. Lou Gehrig
      10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

• jnakamura
        • Oct 2008

Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post
        Pun intended?
        No, but I'll take it.
        - Walt Whitman

Comment

• Ben Grimm
          Semi-lucid User
          • Jun 2012

Actually, I'd like to know just how random it all is.

Are they actually using a system that pulls out a name or names and periodically testing? Or do they simply run the required 2 tests on each player and then target those having a good season? We hear Braun last year and now Melky - both winning or possibly winning MVPs that year. Over the winter, Jose Bautista emphatically stated that he was tested more than 15 times from 2010-2011 - that seems far from random to me.
          "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

Comment

• jnakamura
            • Oct 2008

Test them every 6 weeks (4 tests per season instead of 2) and not only will it be a much bigger deterrent, but will also catch those that do before they can do as much damage to the corruption of team W/L records and standings.
            - Walt Whitman

Comment

• jnakamura
              • Oct 2008

Don Mattingly chimes in:

Mattingly still thinks (the current drug testing program) is in need of improvement. He said he's sure there are players out there who are taking performance-enhancing drugs and going unnoticed, which makes him hope that better testing is on the horizon.

"I hope it gets so good that you can't get away with anything, and guys know it," Mattingly said. "That, for me, would be the best."
              The official website of the Los Angeles Dodgers with the most up-to-date information on scores, schedule, stats, tickets, and team news.

As long as players know, under the current program, that they can possibly go for long stretches of time without being tested, we'll continue to see players doping, and cheating players go on for months without being caught.
              - Walt Whitman

Comment

• PVNICK
                • Jul 2007

I thought random drug testing was supposed to be the key to an effective drug testing program. You just need more of it. I'm pretty sure that regularly scheduled drug testing means regularly scheduled unsupervised periods so they can presumably cycle on and off or whatever the terms of art are accordingly.

Comment

• ol' aches and pains
                  A Gametime Decision
                  • Apr 2008

Gary Cohen on the Mets broadcast last night was advocating for random testing in the off-season. Players would have to notify MLB of their whereabouts at all times and be subject to random tests even if they're out climbing Mt. Kilamanjaro like R.A. Dickey did. Good luck getting the MLBPA to agree to that.
                  They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

• White Knight
                    Join Zap!
                    • Jul 2007

Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
                    Gary Cohen on the Mets broadcast last night was advocating for random testing in the off-season. Players would have to notify MLB of their whereabouts at all times and be subject to random tests even if they're out climbing Mt. Kilamanjaro like R.A. Dickey did. Good luck getting the MLBPA to agree to that.
                    Suppose they go to (let's say) Japan for three months. They would have to test in other countries. Is that even legal?
                    Lou Gehrig is the Truest Yankee of them all!

Comment

• ol' aches and pains
                      A Gametime Decision
                      • Apr 2008

Originally posted by White Knight View Post
                      Suppose they go to (let's say) Japan for three months. They would have to test in other countries. Is that even legal?
                      I didn't say it was a good plan...
                      They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

• Bulldog19
                        • Apr 2009

Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
                        NCAA already requires it. The players have to fill out paperwork each summer so the athletic department can get ahold of them. The NCAA can notify the student-athlete that he or she is being drug tested and I think the individual has like 48-72 hours to respond. Not responding within that timeframe is considered a "positive test." I don't remember the specifics...

---
                        Drug test the players every weekend. Hire an individual whose sole job is to handle the drug testing process for each team. He/she travels with the team. BUT team A's drug tester is responsible for testing team B while team B's tester is responsible or testing team A. You test 8 on Friday, 9 on Saturday, and 8 on Sunday and randomly select which players are tested which day..
                        Mike Hopper
                        Former Gateway Grizzlies Intern

Comment

• 1983whitesox
                          • Oct 2009

With the kind of money teams shell out and fans spend to watch their teams.

I say test them twice a month. If they don't like it. They can leave baseball and serve me a Slurpee from 7-11 or ask me if I want fries with my cheeseburger.

Plenty of other players waiting for a chance to play in MLB.
                          Sent from my iPhone
                          Eaton Swap + 4.10's = Wreeeeeeeeeedom!!
                          sigpic
                          I have had the pleasure of watching games at: Comiskey Park, Comiskey Park II, Wrigley Field, Jacobs Field, Municipal Stadium, Three Rivers Stadium, Miller Park, Yankee Stadium (The one and only), and Fenway Park.

Comment

• Brooklyn
                            • Jan 2000

Originally posted by jnakamura View Post
                            MLB needs to stop RANDOM drug testing
                            It has to be random for it to work. With enough notice they can find ways to make it undetectible. I think they should increase the number of tests they do, and I'm good with testing players 4 times a year (comes out to your once every six weeks) or more, but it needs to remain random.

Comment

• jnakamura
                              • Oct 2008

Kirk Gibson:
                              "Part of me says that alright, enough already," he said before his team's game Wednesday. "We've made a commitment to stopping that type of activity and we still, from time to time, find people are still trying to fool the system."

He also believes that the punishment for such offenses should be ratcheted up -- a year suspension for the first time and a lifetime ban after that."Obviously there's not a big enough deterrent if it continues," he said.
                              - Walt Whitman

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X