17,000 to see a playoff team?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by philliesfiend55 View Post
    Atlanta isn't even the worst "Indifference Offender". Commissioner Selig has taken the Tampa Bay Rays fans to task for their low attendance figures, despite the fact that the team made the playoffs three of the last four seasons, was over .500 the year they missed, and appears playoffs-bound again this year. The Tampa area also has failed to sell out their NFL Buccaneers home games too, thus invoking the TV Blackout rule. It's a systemic problem, because Tampa Bay's economy is extremely depressed and a lot of people their are living below or near the poverty line. A lot of these people are sports fans but simply can't afford tickets plus the other expenses a day at a baseball or football stadium entails. There seems to be no problem selling out the NHL Lighting games, but with the Lightning we're talking about selling out an arena of only around 17,000 seating capacity.
    Its not just the Tickets then you have gas and parking and so on and so forth and it adds up to about $200 to go to a game.
    All it takes for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing. -Unknown

A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination. -Nelson Mandela

Comment

Originally posted by UnderPressure View Post
      Atlanta just doesn't seem like a great pro sports town. Like Los Bravos said, a good chunk of the Braves fan base is in the suburbs, far away from the big city.
      And its hard to get to the stadium. The city(and GPS) still has the signs wrong.
      Chop! Chop! Chop!

Comment

They'll show up in September/October doing the Florida St. Seminoles chant and act like they've been there all season.

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew C. View Post
          Yet in other non-affluent towns like St. Louis, the stadium is full every night. Maybe there are other factors at play here other than just the national economy?
          I concur. We've been playing like ass all season and we still averaged 30K on a Mon, Tue, Wed series a few weeks back against the Astros.
          AL East Champions: 1981 1982
          AL Pennant: 1982
          NL Central Champions: 2011
          NL Wild Card: 2008

"It was like coming this close to your dreams and then watching them brush past you like a stranger in a crowd. At the time you don't think much of it; you know, we just don't recognize the significant moments of our lives while they're happening. Back then I thought, 'Well, there'll be other days.' I didn't realize that that was the only day." - Moonlight Graham

Comment

For whatever reason, I don't think the Braves have been drawing well all season. I remember when the Mets played them earlier in the season you hear "Let's Go Mets!" chants in the background.
            Owen

Die-hard Mets fan. Also root for the Pirates and Indians amongst other teams I enjoy watching.

Favorite Players of All-Time (in no order): Tom Seaver, Mike Piazza, David Wright, Jose Reyes, Johan Santana, Roberto Clemente, Willie Stargell, Willie Mays, Sandy Koufax, Max Carey, Stan Musial, Harmon Killebrew, Duke Snider, Pee Wee Reese, Leo Durocher, Willie McCovey, Bob Feller, Joe Dimaggio, Ernie Banks

Comment

Excuses. They're like bum holes.. Everyone has one and they all stink.

St. Louis has experienced over 20 days of 100+ degree heat this summer. They were averaging over 30k a game when it was over 100 degrees at game time. They are averaging 41k a game overall. And we don't play in air conditioned resorts like some of these teams...

I can't imagine being at a game with 17k fans in attendance. I would guess that every Cardinal game I've ever been to had over 35k there..
              Mike Hopper
              Former Gateway Grizzlies Intern

Comment

Originally posted by RaysFan_98 View Post
                Its not just the Tickets then you have gas and parking and so on and so forth and it adds up to about $200 to go to a game.
                My brother back in Chicago took his wife and two of their boys to a White Sox game this season. They wanted good seats in the lower field boxes, paid $25 to park, ate modestly, and bought a couple t-shirts and caps for the kids. Total-over $400.
                They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
                  Yes, it was Chipper Jones bobble-head night, and he rose to the occasion, hitting two home runs.
                  Originally posted by Los Bravos View Post
                  Passing Dave Winfield on the career homer list and notching hit #2700 with the second one. He continues to really rise to the occasion this season.
                  My town (at least the loudmouth morons) isn't known to be the most receptive to other city's players, but there's always been a respect here for Chipper's bat - naturally more so as he nears retirement - the chants of "Larry, Larry, Larry" have often rung loudly around the park. The Braves are in for a 3-game series in September and I've got tickets for the Sunday game. I'm really hoping he plays that day and I'll be leading a standing ovation when he comes to the plate.
                  "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

Comment

Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
                    My brother back in Chicago took his wife and two of their boys to a White Sox game this season. They wanted good seats in the lower field boxes, paid $25 to park, ate modestly, and bought a couple t-shirts and caps for the kids. Total-over $400.
                    Its been about 200 per a person for me at Rays games. I either get outfeild seats or i get behind the Rays dugout.
                    All it takes for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing. -Unknown

A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination. -Nelson Mandela

Comment

I have three Tigers season tickets and can do a game for $66. Our seats are in the fourth row of the upper deck right at first base. Three tickets are $56 and there are $10 parking lots within a five minute walk. We take our own food and water to avoid the ridiculous concession prices and never, ever buy souvenirs at the stadium. My wife has found local department stores who sell the exact Majestic and Stitches shirts, hats and jackets that are at Comerica Park for 30-40% of the price.

For those who just want to go to a game there is no need to spend $200 or more. If you want the full "experience" with great seats, food and souvenirs then, yes, you're going to pay for it.

It's bad that the White Sod have led the division for the last two months and they're drawing an embarrassing 20-22k per game.

Comment

Originally posted by dadair6 View Post
                        I have three Tigers season tickets and can do a game for $66. Our seats are in the fourth row of the upper deck right at first base. Three tickets are $56 and there are $10 parking lots within a five minute walk. We take our own food and water to avoid the ridiculous concession prices and never, ever buy souvenirs at the stadium. My wife has found local department stores who sell the exact Majestic and Stitches shirts, hats and jackets that are at Comerica Park for 30-40% of the price.

For those who just want to go to a game there is no need to spend $200 or more. If you want the full "experience" with great seats, food and souvenirs then, yes, you're going to pay for it.
                        Same here. I've been to about 12-14 games so far this year, and have yet to spend over $70 (and that includes the ticket, parking/pub trans, and two trips to the concessions). My buddy and I just caught a game a week ago after buying tickets in lower bowl about 80% face value. Total cost combined was less than $100. Our park (CBP) actually has pretty decent food - for a ballpark menu, a nice selection of brews, and many areas around the concourse to tempt dollars out of your pocket.

I do pretty much the same thing every game.

I hit the concessions for a beer prior to first pitch. When I finish my beer (around the 3rd inning), I go back and get another beer and a bag of peanuts. I use the cup from my first beer to put the shells into instead of just tossing them on the ground. And that's pretty much it.

Too many people (IMO) who complain about cost are spending the bulk of it at the concessions (especially alcohol) or retail merchandise. Ever since I was a kid, I never planned the game around the dining experience and it's pretty much stuck with me.

Final costs on average for me is $30-$40 for the ticket, $18-$20 for concessions, and $8-$15 for parking/public transportation. Low day is about $56 - high day is about $75.
                        "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

Comment

how about the game last night in Los Angeles?

two teams who are heated rivals separated by a half game in the standings, and the home team is pitching their Cy Young Award Winner

a nice summer game with a lot on the line in the second most populous city in the country

Dodgers drew 20K under capacity

nice

I guess the fans were at the Monday Night Football game - oh wait LA doesn't have an NFL team
                          Last edited by 9RoyHobbsRF; 08-21-2012, 08:33 AM.
                          1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
                          2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://forums.delphiforums.com/GamersParadise
                          3. My table top gaming blog: http://cary333.blogspot.com/

Comment

It's been that way all season. The Dodgers will only draw well over 45K on a weeknight if it's a bobblehead night. On weekends, they still draw pretty well. It was actually worse during May-June when 3 LA sports teams were in the playoffs, including the eventual Stanley Cup Champions Kings. You look pretty stupid to bring up 36K in a thread that talks about 17K (30K + below capacity)

And why are you taking shot at LA not having a handegg team? Isn't the city of SF about to lose the 9ers? Enjoy the San Francisco 49ers of Santa Clara. Even then, Los Angeles still has more pro sports teams than San Francisco. San Francisco fans support teams that are based in Oakland and San Jose, LOL. Go get your own teams, will ya? Oh well, at least the Warriors are moving to SF. But they won't be called the SF Warriors.
                            Last edited by UnderPressure; 08-21-2012, 09:18 AM.
                            Using a stolen chant from Boston Celtics fans whenever an L.A. team is playing up there just reeks of inferiority complex.

If hitting a baseball is the toughest thing to do in sports, then pitching must be the easiest thing to do in sports.

Comment

The Braves do pull in 30K+ on a fairly consistent basis on Fridays and Saturdays. But they have close to a 10K dropoff on Sunday games. That seems odd to me. I looked at 8-10 other teams and Sunday is as solid (or in some cases better) than the Friday/Saturday average. Some I've seen have a dropoff, but only about 5% or so.

I'm not sure, but could there be a Nascar influence when it comes to attending - or not attending - Braves games in Atlanta?

Comment

Originally posted by 9RoyHobbsRF View Post
                                how about the game last night in Los Angeles?

Dodgers drew 20K under capacity
                                But it was still 37K at the gate. That's certainly not terrible for a weeknight game.

One of the biggest things that can happen to get attendance off the ground is pre-season ticket plans sold. Even if those people don't show up, they'll sell or give away the tickets. The problem for the Dodgers is that they were going through so much this offseason with the sale of the team. That impeded any effort to sign any high-priced talent at the time, and all the uncertainty surrounding the situation may have kept those season ticket plans to not be sold. I don't know of course, simply an assumption on my part.

I, along with 4 other people I know, have some sort of pre-paid season ticket package in Philly. But for the most part, we've all either sold, given away or donated a sizeable chunk of our tickets as this season unfolded. But those are all used and I'm sure I'm in the majority. It's one of the reasons there are still 42-44K nightly here even with a "mediocre" product on the field.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X