17,000 to see a playoff team?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ben Grimm View Post
    The Braves do pull in 30K+ on a fairly consistent basis on Fridays and Saturdays. But they have close to a 10K dropoff on Sunday games. That seems odd to me. I looked at 8-10 other teams and Sunday is as solid (or in some cases better) than the Friday/Saturday average. Some I've seen have a dropoff, but only about 5% or so.

I'm not sure, but could there be a Nascar influence when it comes to attending - or not attending - Braves games in Atlanta?
    Wow that is strange, I'm pretty sure Nascar is only on Sundays so thats gotta be a big reason. Another reason could be alot of Southerners strike me as real religous and family orientated so alot of them probably stay home on Sundays.
    "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Rays had 9900 last night give or take a few..... But it was first day of class for kids and such.
      All it takes for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing. -Unknown

A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination. -Nelson Mandela

Comment

•The reigning Cy Young winner was on the mound, first place on the line, first game home after a 7-3 trip, a warm August night and the Dodgers drew 36,878, or, 4,500 below their season average. Magic Johnson and Co. have some work to do. I know it was Monday night. First day of school. Bad traffic. Yada yada yada. No excuse

from sfgate.com
        1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
        2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://forums.delphiforums.com/GamersParadise
        3. My table top gaming blog: http://cary333.blogspot.com/

Comment

Are we talking about the same team that routinely fails to sell out playoff games?
          San Francisco Giants, World Series Champions in 2010, 2012, and 2014!!!

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts" ~ Albert Einstein

"Royals wear crowns, but Champions Kiss the Ring" ~ Jeremy Affeldt

Comment

Originally posted by Rich the Giants fan View Post
            Are we talking about the same team that routinely fails to sell out playoff games?
            The Braves? They sold out the LDS games in 2010 if I remember right. Before that, the fickle Atlanta fans clearly got tired of the team being booted out of the first round. It's normal around here.
            46 wins to match last year's total

Comment

Originally posted by UnderPressure View Post
              It's been that way all season. The Dodgers will only draw well over 45K on a weeknight if it's a bobblehead night. On weekends, they still draw pretty well. It was actually worse during May-June when 3 LA sports teams were in the playoffs, including the eventual Stanley Cup Champions Kings. You look pretty stupid to bring up 36K in a thread that talks about 17K (30K + below capacity)

And why are you taking shot at LA not having a handegg team? Isn't the city of SF about to lose the 9ers? Enjoy the San Francisco 49ers of Santa Clara. Even then, Los Angeles still has more pro sports teams than San Francisco. San Francisco fans support teams that are based in Oakland and San Jose, LOL. Go get your own teams, will ya? Oh well, at least the Warriors are moving to SF. But they won't be called the SF Warriors.
              Yes, it will greatly impact those who watch the Niners, having them move 40 miles south. (sarcasm) Seriously, do you think all 6 million people who live in the Bay Area all live in San Francisco? Do you think only people who live in San Francisco support the Niners?
              San Francisco Giants, World Series Champions in 2010, 2012, and 2014!!!

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts" ~ Albert Einstein

"Royals wear crowns, but Champions Kiss the Ring" ~ Jeremy Affeldt

Comment

Where did I say the 49ers will lose fans? It's not a big deal, but SF will still have the Giants and the Warriors will move back there in the future. All I said was the city of LA has more pro sports teams than the city of SF and I'm not even counting the two Anaheim teams. Just find it ridiculous that NorCal fans always knock LA for not having an NFL team. Let's face it, Bay Area teams are scattered around the area. You can be a SAN JOSE Sharks fan, SAN FRANCISCO 49ers and Giants fan, and an Golden State (OAKLAND) Warriors fan. Hell, you can even throw in Sacramento Kings fans in there and I'd say majority of them are Giants fans. Unlike in LA, all teams are in LA.

Of course, Sacramento doesn't get knocked for not having an MLB team, an NHL team, and NFL team. San Francisco doesn't get knocked for not having an NHL team. San Jose doesn't get knocked for not having an MLB team and an NBA team. But LA gets knocked for not having an NFL team. Believe me, I want an NFL team in LA. Must suck for the city of SJ to live in the shadow of SF despite being the bigger city.
                Using a stolen chant from Boston Celtics fans whenever an L.A. team is playing up there just reeks of inferiority complex.

If hitting a baseball is the toughest thing to do in sports, then pitching must be the easiest thing to do in sports.

Comment

Where did I say the 49ers will lose fans? It's not a big deal, but SF will still have the Giants and the Warriors will move back there in the future. All I said was the city of LA has more pro sports teams than the city of SF and I'm not even counting the two Anaheim teams. Just find it ridiculous that NorCal fans always knock LA for not having an NFL team. Let's face it, Bay Area teams are scattered around the area. You can be a SAN JOSE Sharks fan, SAN FRANCISCO 49ers and Giants fan, and an Golden State (OAKLAND) Warriors fan. Hell, you can even throw in Sacramento Kings fans in there and I'd say majority of them are Giants fans. Unlike in LA, all teams are in LA.

Of course, Sacramento doesn't get knocked for not having an MLB team, an NHL team, and NFL team. San Francisco doesn't get knocked for not having an NHL team. San Jose doesn't get knocked for not having an MLB team and an NBA team. But LA gets knocked for not having an NFL team. Believe me, I want an NFL team in LA. Must suck for the city of SJ to live in the shadow of SF despite being the bigger city.
                  Yep and you realize New York only has one NFL team (Buffalo)? And Washington DC does not have an NFL team? And I'm sure you've been told Tampa does not have a baseball team, right?
                  Mike Hopper
                  Former Gateway Grizzlies Intern

Comment

Oakland is 8 miles from San Francisco

BTW how many lakes are in Los Angeles (Lakers)
                    How many trolleys are in Los Angeles (for the Dodgers to dodge)
                    Are you sure the Clippers are a pro sports team?
                    Last edited by 9RoyHobbsRF; 08-22-2012, 08:46 AM.
                    1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
                    2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://forums.delphiforums.com/GamersParadise

Comment

Georgia in general is not a great place for pro sports. College Football rules. The Georgia Bulldogs and to a lesser degree the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets are the primary teams of the state.

Someone mentioned fans being tired of the Braves being eliminated in the first round. . . In 1995 the year the Braves won the Series, David Justice called out the fans for not coming to the park. Personally in 1996 I was able to walk up to the stadium at game time and buy tickets to the NLDS elimination game against the Dodgers at Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium. This was the year they went back to the World Series.

In my experience Atlanta Braves games are mostly a social event above all else. Georgians don't go to a Braves game to root for the team, they go as an "outing" with family, friends, church, etc. I haven't been to games in too many stadiums in MLB but I have been to a handful and Atlanta is the only place where most fans are dressed like they are going to the local bar and grill rather than a ball game. Alot of the team jerseys you see fans wearing are oppposing teams'.

I saw the Mets this year with a group and when my son and I showed up with our Mets jerseys on nobody could believe we were going to the ball park wearing "that." They were not referring to the Mets gear but the fact that we didn't look "nice." The other kids wore Under Armour gear and their travel team hats, the dads wore golf shirts and khaki shorts and the moms wore summer dresses. It was a common theme around the stadium and always is.
                      If I had only spent a tenth of the time studying Physics that I spent learning Star Wars and Baseball trivia, I would have won the Nobel Prize.

Comment

Originally posted by Bulldog19 View Post
                        Yep and you realize New York only has one NFL team (Buffalo)? And Washington DC does not have an NFL team? And I'm sure you've been told Tampa does not have a baseball team, right?
                        New York, as in the whole state? Buffalo is its own city and they have their own team (even though their stadium is based in a small suburb). The Jets and the Giants may be located in NJ but they are still named after NY. Again, the Redskins are like the Bills. Named after the major city but based in a small suburb. As for Tampa/St. Petersburg, all the teams there are named after the whole Tampa Bay area. So it's not like the Rays are called the Tampa Rays. Hard to compare these to NorCal teams. We're talking about major cities here with well-over 300k in population with their own international airports. I can't speak for everyone but I'm from LA, the city, not any of the suburbs. So I have some bias towards having some kind of "city pride". I mean, if I were from San Francisco and I loved the NHL, I sure would wish SF had their own team instead of me rooting for a team in San Jose. I don't know. Rooting for multiple cities? That's just not me. Of course, I don't know what it's like to be a NorCal fan, but I'm glad all the teams in LA represent the city
                        of LA.
                        Using a stolen chant from Boston Celtics fans whenever an L.A. team is playing up there just reeks of inferiority complex.

If hitting a baseball is the toughest thing to do in sports, then pitching must be the easiest thing to do in sports.

Comment

Originally posted by 9RoyHobbsRF View Post
                          Oakland is 8 miles from San Francisco

BTW how many lakes are in Los Angeles (Lakers)
                          How many trolleys are in Los Angeles (for the Dodgers to dodge)
                          Are you sure the Clippers are a pro sports team?
                          Oakland is its own city and they are pissed off that they're losing the Warriors to SF soon. They might also lose the Raiders so they might end up not having a sports team at all.

What is your point with team names? I'll reply anyway.

I'm not a Laker fan so I'm not even gonna defend them.

"Dodgers" sounds like a generic name anyway despite the name's history. Were the Giants named after that big glove and the Coke bottle in left field? Or Barry Bonds' head?

The Clippers? You mean the team that is doing a lot better than the crappy Warriors and the Kings?

Los Angeles has now won titles in the 4 major leagues. Can't say the same about SF.

Comment

Oakland is its own city and they are pissed off that they're losing the Warriors to SF soon. They might also lose the Raiders so they might end up not having a sports team at all.

What is your point with team names? I'll reply anyway.

I'm not a Laker fan so I'm not even gonna defend them.

"Dodgers" sounds like a generic name anyway despite the name's history. Were the Giants named after that big glove and the Coke bottle in left field? Or Barry Bonds' head?

The Clippers? You mean the team that is doing a lot better than the crappy Warriors and the Kings?

Los Angeles has now won titles in the 4 major leagues. Can't say the same about SF.
                            I think the LA Kings finally doing something after 45 years has got to your head as you are imploding and thumping your chest every post now with the 4 sports things, I guess you have been going to Kings games for a long time right? (front runner)

The Warriors were from San Francisco before jumping 8 miles across the bridge, I guess you are unaware of that.

Clippers have how many NBA Championships? How many playoff wins? How many playoffs appearances? Are you sure they are a pro team? Or often (correctly) cited as the worst team in pro sports with the worst owner

Comment

Of course, I don't know what it's like to be a NorCal fan, but I'm glad all the teams in LA represent the city
                              of LA.

yeah those Anaheim Ducks and Anaheim Angels are tributes to LA and speaking of Mickey Mouse, how about the Clippers

and those NFL teams are awesome

Comment

you can say it is often voted the best city in America, and sometimes the world

Definitely can't say that about LA

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X