Only 4 BoSox players attend J. Pesky's funeral

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by leecemark View Post
    --So there were two events on the same night, one planned for a long time that players had committed to and one that was obviously planned on much shorter notice. The players honored their commitment to the former and they are bad guyers for doing so?
    --Even without the conflicting events how many of the players were likley to have had any kind of relationship with Pesky? He hadn't had a real job with the club for years and he was a half century older than most of the club. How many of us would attend the funeral of a former employee of ours company - who we never worked with or socialized with - no matter who much he had contributed to the company? Would we even be expected to?
    These guys play in a fan driven baseball town and each one of them knew how loved Pesky was by the city of Boston. It's what maybe an hour out of their day. I can see not attending Carl Yastrzemski's funeral because he hasn't really been a part of the Redsox but Pesky visited quite often and was part of the organization for 60 years. To only have 4 players show up for this is a slap in the face to the organization, the fans and the city of Boston.
    "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

This kind of selfishness seems to embody the Red Sox right now.
      San Francisco Giants, World Series Champions in 2010, 2012, and 2014!!!

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts" ~ Albert Einstein

"Royals wear crowns, but Champions Kiss the Ring" ~ Jeremy Affeldt

Comment

"You should always go to people's funerals, or else they won't go to yours". - Yogi Berra
        They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

I live in Massachusetts, so I don't know how things are in other states and how much hate goes out for the Red Sox. Right now, it's no secret that the Sox fan base is declining over here in Dunkin Donuts Land. Baseball is hurting enough as it is, so it only empowers the Celtics, Patriots, and (bandwagon) Bruins fans. On top of recent exploits, people have begun to realize that ever since the successful buying campaigns of 2004 through 2007, the Red Sox have become an all-out Steinbrenner buy-out team.

However, I ignore most of the media. Not only do they omit, they skew and/or present facts in such a way as to get you to go with one side. The Herald is a joke. It’s an awful medium filled with too many half stories and not enough credible journalists. Now I’ll have to hear every idiot in the world, or the Boston sports fans who call into the radio, whine about this for the rest of the season. Then I’ll see ignorant blogs and internet posts of all kinds until I’m reduced to sports media shut down.

This isn't a political science class, so I'll leave that as my opinion so I can segway into this: players have lives, too, and can be busy due to their fame. I loved Pesky and am sad at his passing because he was an embodiment of all that is good with the Red Sox. How morbidly fitting it is to have him pass away as the last drops of Red Sox virtue evaporate as they enter a dark time.

Yet it's unfair to leave the crap on the players’ doorstep if we don't know what they were all doing. A realistic look at the situation can be found here. Funny how this guy knows more than the fools at the Herald or the whining, unprofessional know-nothing editor at sbnation

Then we have the issue of how the Herald, as it seems to be the leading medium in this, decides to passively mention that buses were provided for the front office. Then it goes right to attacking the players. The only way it could have placed less emphasis on this is if they wrote it in .01 font. Buses were provided FOR THE FRONT OFFICE. That is, everyone important at the running of the organization. Clubhouse bigwigs didn't go out of their way to chauffeur players only to have all but four give them the finger. Their planes landed at 4 am and were scheduled to go to an ANNUAL charity bowling event on an off day. Yet the idiot editor (I cringe knowing she has this position) at sbnation, and I promise there will be more to follow here in Mass, says

"Amazingly, nearly the entire team found the time to attend Josh Beckett's annual Beckett Bowl for the Beckett Foundation at Lucky Strike Lanes and the House of Blues later Monday night."

As if 30 members of the team decided on the plane that they'd clear their schedules, saunter up to some bowling alley unannounced, and begin charity bowling for the fifty people already at the lanes. None of it was scheduled, right editor Erika?

Unbelievable
          Last edited by milladrive; 08-23-2012, 06:46 PM. Reason: Removed profanity
          "Allen Sutton Sothoron pitched his initials off today."--1920s article

Comment

Originally posted by chicagowhitesox1173 View Post
            These guys play in a fan driven baseball town and each one of them knew how loved Pesky was by the city of Boston. It's what maybe an hour out of their day. I can see not attending Carl Yastrzemski's funeral because he hasn't really been a part of the Redsox but Pesky visited quite often and was part of the organization for 60 years. To only have 4 players show up for this is a slap in the face to the organization, the fans and the city of Boston.
            I tend to agree with the whole of this post. What about the surviving members of Pesky's peers? Are there any? Above and beyond the disgraceful nature of the Bosox organization for not arranging some kind of attendance, if there are any of Pesky's peers still alive, they should be extra ashamed for not showing up. IMHO.

But then, I've also always said something akin to the Yogism:

Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
            "You should always go to people's funerals, or else they won't go to yours". - Yogi Berra
            P.S. I'm a Sox fan stuck on Long Island.
            Put it in the books.

Comment

Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
              I was think of that quote when this story broke.
              The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich the Giants fan View Post
                This kind of selfishness seems to embody the Red Sox right now.
                Yeah the Red Sox are my favorite team, but theyre also my least favorite team. If that makes any sense.

Im very disappointed Dustin Pedroia didnt go. Now that Youkilis is gone, he and Big Papi are the face of the franchise.

Comment

I agree she did make this look worse than what it is but theres no excuse for only four players showing up to his funeral.
                  "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Originally posted by Blue387 View Post
                    I was think of that quote when this story broke.
                    Maybe nobody went to Pesky's funeral because it was too crowded?

I guess I started to feel a little differently when Lucchino said the team got back into town at 4am...so, they're probably actually getting home at 5 or 6am. Still seems a bit weak. How cool that Nomah came out from CA!
                    "If I drink whiskey, I'll never get worms!" - Hack Wilson

Comment

Originally posted by chicagowhitesox1173 View Post
                      I agree she did make this look worse than what it is but theres no excuse for only four players showing up to his funeral.
                      There is an excuse: going to an annual charity event that you've known about months in advance.

Honestly, I would've postponed the event because it's only bowling. I'm only defending the Sox to give them their side. Apparently the professionals at the Herald and editor Erika forgot about that part. I'm cooped up in Mass, so I'll be on the end of this nonsense for weeks to come. Expect to see me more on this forum for asylum. Maybe I'll enter cyberspace and become an internet entity only able to reside in sane sites.
                      Last edited by Tyrus4189Cobb; 08-23-2012, 07:12 PM.
                      "Allen Sutton Sothoron pitched his initials off today."--1920s article

Comment

Originally posted by Tyrus4189Cobb View Post
                        There is an excuse: going to an annual charity event that you've known about months in advance.

Honestly, I would've postponed the event because it's only bowling. I'm only defending the Sox to give them their side. Apparently the professionals at the Herald and editor Erika forgot about that part. I'm cooped up in Mass, so I'll be on the end of this nonsense for weeks to come. Expect to see me more on this forum for asylum. Maybe I'll enter cyberspace and become an internet entity only able to reside in sane sites.
                        I guess I don't know what kind of schedules they had and I know players can be pretty busy but still to have only 4 players attend is pretty bad. I do admit it was nice they held a charity event for children so they shouldn't be cast as what I first thought of em. The original article did make em out worse than what they might be.

Comment

Originally posted by RDB_SoxFan View Post
                          Yeah the Red Sox are my favorite team, but theyre also my least favorite team. If that makes any sense.

I'm very disappointed Dustin Pedroia didnt go. Now that Youkilis is gone, he and Big Papi are the face of the franchise.
                          Yeah, I was the most surprised that Pedroia didn't go.
                          However, things are SO dysfunctional in Boston right now between the players and ownership, it's hard to say what really went down.
                          Say hello on Twitter @BSmile & Facebook "Baseball by BSmile"

Comment

I heard Kevin Youkilis made it, he even paid for a private jet.

Comment

Nobody has the right to judge anyone when it comes to how they deal with a death in the family, work place, or community. There have been complete strangers in attendance and best friends not in attendance at every funeral since the beginning of civilization. That doesn't mean that an incorrect amount of people were in mourning.

I am in my 40's and have been to just four funerals in my life while my last girlfriend has been to over a hundred. We have both attended the appropriate amount of funerals.

Comment

The artricle is unclear as to the time the funeral was held and whether it overlapped with the charity bowling event.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X