The Agenda behind the Dodgers "spending spree"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Agenda behind the Dodgers "spending spree"

I haven't seen this being brought up here, but I have heard it discussed elsewhere and it actually makes sense:

Following the 2013 season the Dodgers will free from their current TV contracts and will be negotiating a deal either from an established network or starting their own, ala the Yankees YES network or Boston's NESN.

Experts are expecting the new deal to fetch upwards of $8-9 BILLION ($200-400MM per year)--an incredibly rich revenue stream over the next 20 years. It makes sense that the Dodgers are doing everything they can to make the Dodgers a star-studded, "Lakeresque" WS contending team in order to negotiate the highest possible price for the new TV contract.

The Dodgers are basically building equity/market value in the franchise for the BIG payoff 18 months from now.

Forbes has an excellent article that sums it up perfectly: http://www.forbes.com/sites/prishe/2...pending-spree/

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Dodgers make even a few more big money moves this offseason to add even more star power. Forbes estimates the new TV deal will completely offset the Dodgers huge payroll.
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game - the American game.
    - Walt Whitman

West Coast Yankees, indeed!
    "I can see how he won twenty-five games. What I don't understand is how he lost five." - Yogi Berra on Sandy Koufax's 1963 season.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X