Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could Shutting down Straz cost the Nats a World Series?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could Shutting down Straz cost the Nats a World Series?

So i was thinking they more or less are probably going to go to a Post season this year and with straz they are one of the favorites with that starting rotation. But could shutting down straz cost them a World Series? I realize they are protecting him but its in the here and now and shouldn't they play for the here and now? If i was a nats fan i would be livid i mean you don't know what is going to happen in the future.
    All it takes for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing. -Unknown

A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination. -Nelson Mandela

Originally posted by RaysFan_98 View Post
    So i was thinking they more or less are probably going to go to a Post season this year and with straz they are one of the favorites with that starting rotation. But could shutting down straz cost them a World Series? I realize they are protecting him but its in the here and now and shouldn't they play for the here and now? If i was a nats fan i would be livid i mean you don't know what is going to happen in the future.
    Like i said in the other thread..why should they even miss a beat? Strasburg is their fourth best starter, so they can use a 3 man rotation in the playoffs, and have 3 pitchers as good or better than him in every game. They also have a great bullpen and another good starter.

People act like he is a superstar, carrying the rotation..this is definitely not the case.

Comment

Originally posted by willshad View Post
      Like i said in the other thread..why should they even miss a beat? Strasburg is their fourth best starter, so they can use a 3 man rotation in the playoffs, and have 3 pitchers as good or better than him in every game. They also have a great bullpen and another good starter.

People act like he is a superstar, carrying the rotation..this is definitely not the case.
      He is there best start considered by most even the mlb guys think he is the best one.

A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination. -Nelson Mandela

Comment

He's deff a big reason why they've won this year. I thought he was their best pitcher but after looking at their rotation on baseball referance, Wilshad does have a point.
        "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

He is there best start considered by most even the mlb guys think he is the best one.
          He is the most overhyped, but not the best. They have 3 starters with better ERAs, and 2 of them have pitched more innings.

Comment

Originally posted by chicagowhitesox1173 View Post
            He's deff a big reason why they've won this year. I thought he was their best pitcher but after looking at their rotation on baseball referance, Wilshad does have a point.
            Just wondering now if they will start to falter without him.

Comment

Just wondering now if they will start to falter without him.
              I think their chances of winning a World Series drops but I can't see them losing the NL East. Then again they have three starters who can match up with any team in the playoffs. It sucks for Strasburg because he deserves a spot on the WS team.
              "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Philly plays 6 of their final 9 against the Nat's. This could become a bit interesting since Strasburg is out and it might be time to rest players heading into the post season.
                "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

Comment

The dirty little secret is that the Nationals have a quality staff outside of Strasburg. I don't think there's been a staff this deep since the Braves of the 1990s. Honestly, I don't see this action hurting them all that much.
                  46 wins to match last year's total

Comment

[QUOTE=RaysFan_98;2061690]So i was thinking they more or less are probably going to go to a Post season this year and with straz they are one of the favorites with that starting rotation. But could shutting down straz cost them a World Series?

what????? they have to make the playoff first, there is still plenty of baseball left
                    and if they do make the playoffs,they have to win the division series,than the league championship and
                    than, and if they make it that far, than and only than can they dream about winning the world series
                    in the last 12 years the ONLY team to be mention and to be name a WS champ on paper
                    were the 2009 NY Yankees,
                    heck last year 2012, NOT once but twice the team that was crown and started celebrating(prematurely)
                    as if they were the WS champs didn't end up on top

I mean you don't know what is going to happen in the future.
                    you got that right, for it takes a team to win in the post season, and NOT one guy
                    and yes LUCK
                    sigpic

Comment

For a guy with a grand total of 5 WAR for his career, people sure seem to this this Strasburg guy is pretty valuable to that team.

Comment

[QUOTE=drdg;2061773]
                        So i was thinking they more or less are probably going to go to a Post season this year and with straz they are one of the favorites with that starting rotation. But could shutting down straz cost them a World Series?

what????? they have to make the playoff first, there is still plenty of baseball left
                        and if they do make the playoffs,they have to win the division series,than the league championship and
                        than, and if they make it that far, than and only than can they dream about winning the world series
                        in the last 12 years the ONLY team to be mention and to be name a WS champ on paper
                        were the 2009 NY Yankees,
                        heck last year 2012, NOT once but twice the team that was crown and started celebrating(prematurely)
                        as if they were the WS champs didn't end up on top

I mean you don't know what is going to happen in the future.
                        you got that right, for it takes a team to win in the post season, and NOT one guy
                        and yes LUCK
                        Of course it is unlikely that the Nats actually win it all but they are in contention and shutting down starsburg could actually decrease their CHANCES. not saying that they would win with him or even make it to the WS (they might lose in the first round) but losing a key pitcher is always though.

yeah statistically they have 3 other pitchers like him but in the first half he was their best guy and he also has the best stuff. facing him is more intimidating than the other guys because of his power and stuff.

but in the last weeks he was struggling a bit so shutting down might have been the best thing.
                        I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

Originally posted by willshad View Post
                          For a guy with a grand total of 5 WAR for his career, people sure seem to this this Strasburg guy is pretty valuable to that team.
                          You're assuming most of us here are on board wth WAR. A lot of us are not.
                          They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
                            the problem here is not WAR but that WAR is a counting stat (well not quite since it can be negative too but for top players it usually is) and Stras has only 250 IP which is about one season by roy halladay.
                            so for basically one season 5 WAR is quite good although not spectacular. that would be like saying bryce harper sucks because he only has 18 career HRs.
                            I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
                              I don't like any sabermetrics -____-

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X