No announcement yet.

Miguel Cabrera and the Triple Crown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Basically, what im getting from that article posted by HWR, is that a guy who can get on base around 40% of the time and can steal a bunch of bases and play good defense is the guy who should win the MVP every year. I dont entirely agree. The guy who can get on base a lot and take the extra base is very valuable, but where would the team be without that guy or guys in the 3 or 4 hole driving him in? Yeah that guy needs a runner or runners on base before him to drive in a ton of runs, so its kind of the whole "Chicken or the Egg" routine.

So, whos more valuable? Great defense and speed, On-base % and stolen bases. Or is it high Home Runs and RBI totals, extra base hits and high total base numbers? Miguel Cabrera is about to lead the league this year in the three big stat figures that point toward whos most valuable, Home Runs, Batting Average, and RBI. Mike Trout leads the league in WAR, Steals, and Runs scored. So pick your poison, which stat group do you think is most valuable?

Ill take Miguel Cabrera.

Comment

I have mixed feelings about this. I want to see one in my lifetime, but I'm not a Miggy fan at all. I wish Hamilton were the leader in all three categories...
      Lou Gehrig is the Truest Yankee of them all!

Comment

Josh Hamilton hit his 43rd homer of the year, now Miggy is second in that category
        Last Player to hit for the Cycle: Matt Kemp, San Diego Padres (August 14, 2015)

Last Pitcher to throw a Regular Season No-Hitter: Max Scherzer, Washington Nationals 2-0 (October 3, 2015)

Last Pitcher to throw a Postseason No-Hitter: Roy Halladay, Philadelphia Phillies 4-0 (October 6, 2010)

Comment

Originally posted by RDB_SoxFan View Post
          Basically, what im getting from that article posted by HWR, is that a guy who can get on base around 40% of the time and can steal a bunch of bases and play good defense is the guy who should win the MVP every year. I dont entirely agree. The guy who can get on base a lot and take the extra base is very valuable, but where would the team be without that guy or guys in the 3 or 4 hole driving him in? Yeah that guy needs a runner or runners on base before him to drive in a ton of runs, so its kind of the whole "Chicken or the Egg" routine.

So, whos more valuable? Great defense and speed, On-base % and stolen bases. Or is it high Home Runs and RBI totals, extra base hits and high total base numbers? Miguel Cabrera is about to lead the league this year in the three big stat figures that point toward whos most valuable, Home Runs, Batting Average, and RBI. Mike Trout leads the league in WAR, Steals, and Runs scored. So pick your poison, which stat group do you think is most valuable?

Ill take Miguel Cabrera.

I agree however trout is not a singles hitter either. he has hit quite a few HRs and a lot of doubles. I'd still give it to cabrera but I'm not sure he is more vauable.
          I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

This is the closest I've ever seen in my lifetime. I will be largely disappointed if it doesn't happen. All we need is for Hamilton to ease up a bit on the power and Cabrera to face some hanging curves. Just for a few days
            "Allen Sutton Sothoron pitched his initials off today."--1920s article

Comment

does it also count if he is tied in one of the categories?
              I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

Originally posted by dominik View Post
                does it also count if he is tied in one of the categories?
                Yes, it counts. For example, Yastrzesmki and Killebrew were tied with 44 homers each in 1967.
                My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
                2. Barry Bonds
                3. Ty Cobb
                4. Ted Williams
                5. Willie Mays
                6. Alex Rodriguez
                7. Hank Aaron
                8. Honus Wagner
                9. Lou Gehrig
                10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

Miggy is a home run and 5 points away from the Super Triple Crown, if anyone is interested.

Comment

Originally posted by White Knight View Post
                    Miggy is a home run and 5 points away from the Super Triple Crown, if anyone is interested.
                    What is the super triple crown?
                    My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
                    2. Barry Bonds
                    3. Ty Cobb
                    4. Ted Williams
                    5. Willie Mays
                    6. Alex Rodriguez
                    7. Hank Aaron
                    8. Honus Wagner
                    9. Lou Gehrig
                    10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post
                      What is the super triple crown?
                      Not just leading in your League, but all of the Majors.

Comment

Not just leading in your League, but all of the Majors.
                        Hmm, there's still Melky to deal with. I know he's relinquishing the NL title / award, but it's not like his stats are getting erased.
                        My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
                        2. Barry Bonds
                        3. Ty Cobb
                        4. Ted Williams
                        5. Willie Mays
                        6. Alex Rodriguez
                        7. Hank Aaron
                        8. Honus Wagner
                        9. Lou Gehrig
                        10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

Hmm, there's still Melky to deal with. I know he's relinquishing the NL title / award, but it's not like his stats are getting erased.
                          Well, lemme ask you this. Let's say someone was doing an NL TC, and was batting .340. Would he not be awarded the TC?

Comment

Well, lemme ask you this. Let's say someone was doing an NL TC, and was batting .340. Would he not be awarded the TC?
                            I don't know. It's a good question. Is the TC an actual "award" that can be "awarded"? I feel that if someone did it in the NL but got the batting average part of it on a technicality, it wouldn't be held in the same regard as the previous triple crowns.
                            My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
                            2. Barry Bonds
                            3. Ty Cobb
                            4. Ted Williams
                            5. Willie Mays
                            6. Alex Rodriguez
                            7. Hank Aaron
                            8. Honus Wagner
                            9. Lou Gehrig
                            10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

I don't know. It's a good question. Is the TC an actual "award" that can be "awarded"? I feel that if someone did it in the NL but got the batting average part of it on a technicality, it wouldn't be held in the same regard as the previous triple crowns.
                              That's why MLB should not have interfered by implementing this new stupid rule (don't care if it were Melky's request of not) where if you're suspended you can't win batting titles. Once again just caving into the casual fan.

Comment

Of all the TCs, I think Chuck Klein's was the luckiest. Not even 30 HR and just touched 120 RBI.
                                "Allen Sutton Sothoron pitched his initials off today."--1920s article

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X