Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Melky Cabrera won't receive NL Batting Title

http://www.csnbayarea.com/baseball-s...9&feedID=10850

Thanks to an agreement reached between the players' union and Major League Baseball officials, suspended players are now ineligible to be recognized for statistical titles. Now that this precedent has been set, it would certainly apply to the same situation in the future.

Andrew McCutchen has a .339 BA, and Buster Posey a .335 at the moment.
    46 wins to match last year's total

Kinda takes the fun out of all the complaints we were bound to hear.
    Lou Gehrig is the Truest Yankee of them all!

Comment

Originally posted by White Knight View Post
      Kinda takes the fun out of all the complaints we were bound to hear.
      Yeah, it does, but at least the right thing was ultimately accomplished.
      46 wins to match last year's total

Comment

Good to see that. MLB would have looked pretty foolish awarding the title to a suspended juicer.
        They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

Winning a batting title gets written in record books, but is it true that MLB does not award a trophy or anything else for winning it?

I wonder if they would take the triples title or the sacrifice fly title away from Melky if he had won those.

Comment

Melky's just gonna set up his own website claiming that he IS the NL batting champ!!
            "If I drink whiskey, I'll never get worms!" - Hack Wilson

Comment

Originally posted by Dude Paskert View Post
              Melky's just gonna set up his own website claiming that he IS the NL batting champ!!

apparently it was Melky's call.
              http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...2_a2&eref=sihp
              "Batting stats and pitching stats do not indicate the quality of play, merely which part of that struggle is dominant at the moment."

-Bill James

Comment

If I'm reading this right, they changed the rule that if a player hsa less then the 3.1 plate appearances / game, they don't qualify if they are on the suspended list. So if the Giants somehow wind up playing 161 games this year, Melky would still qualify.

Comment

I wonder does this rule only apply to players who suspension runs through the end of the season? Let's say some a ballplayer is suspended early in the season, then returns to play, gets hot and leads the league in BA? Are they eligible for the batting title?
                  Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Never mind.
                    Last edited by ipitch; 09-21-2012, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ipitch View Post
                      Winning a batting title gets written in record books, but is it true that MLB does not award a trophy or anything else for winning it?
                      MLB doesn't but Louisville Slugger does. H&B gives out a nice trophy

The Silver Bat is presented annually to the batting champions of the American and National Leagues. The award was first given to the Major League batting champs in 1949 - George Kell of the Detroit Tigers and Jackie Robinson of the Brooklyn Dodgers. Before that, the trophy was awarded to the Minor League batting champions from 1934 to 1948. At one time it was called the "Louisville Slugger Trophy".

Tony Gwynn has won eight Silver Bats, more than any other player. He won four in a row from 1994 to 1997. Rod Carew racked-up seven Silver Bats and Wade Boggs has five. Stan Musial, Roberto Clemente, and Bill Madlock are all four-time winners.

George Brett holds the distinction of winning Silver Bats in three different decades: 1976, 1980 and 1990.

The Silver Bat is sterling plated and weighs approximately 56 ounces. It is 34 inches long, and is engraved with the player's autograph and the statistics of his winning accomplishments. An official of Hillerich & Bradsby Co. presents the award at the player's home stadium the following season.
                      I love that the Jose Cardenal model is the most popular.

It only really works if your pants are skin tight.
                      3 6 10 21 29 31 35 41 42 44 47

Comment

the information I have is the request came from Melky himself

Players Association Executive Director Michael Weiner: “Melky Cabrera, through a written request to me, asked the for the Union’s assistance in removing him from consideration for the 2012 National League batting title. We complied with Melky’s wish and brought the matter to the Commissioner’s Office, which agreed to suspend the rule. We commend Melky’s decision under these circumstances.”

Finally, Cabrera himself: “I have no wish to win an award that would be tainted. I believe it would be far better for someone more deserving to win. I asked the Players Association and the league to take the necessary steps to remove my name from consideration for the National League batting title. I am grateful that the Players Association and MLB were able to honor my request by suspending the rule for this season. I know that changing the rules mid-season can present problems, and I thank the Players Association and MLB for finding a way to get this done.”

from sfgate.com

they also said if the giants had a rainout and did not make up the game playing only 161 cabrera would have qualified which disputes previous posts here
                        Last edited by 9RoyHobbsRF; 09-21-2012, 04:17 PM.
                        1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
                        2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://forums.delphiforums.com/GamersParadise
                        3. My table top gaming blog: http://cary333.blogspot.com/

Comment

from si.com

Melky Cabrera has been disqualified from the National League batting title at his own request, a person familiar with the discussions told The Associated Press.

As the agreement is worded, the only way Cabrera would qualify for the batting title is if the Giants had a rainout and played only 161 games, in which case 499 plate appearances would be sufficient. Such a situation is unlikely this late in the season.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz279KLsF7v
                          1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
                          2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://forums.delphiforums.com/GamersParadise
                          3. My table top gaming blog: http://cary333.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Los Bravos View Post
                            MLB doesn't but Louisville Slugger does. H&B gives out a nice trophy
                            Ah, thanks.

Comment

With this development with Cabrera this enhances Buster Posey's chance to become the first NL catcher to win the batting title since I believe Ernie Lombardi.
                              Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X