Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Players whose careers have been ruined by the "It's in his head" syndrome?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jobu Voodoo
    replied
    Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post
    Two words. Oliver Perez.
    Totally agree. Always thought that guy was going to be an ace and he just never panned out.

Leave a comment:

• PeteU
    replied
    Dontrelle Willis. It's a shame, because he was a really fun player to watch.

Leave a comment:

• PVNICK
    replied
    Originally posted by 9RoyHobbsRF View Post
    it was Bob Moose who uncorked the wild pitch not Blass
    I guess memory is an unreliable thing, or at least mine is.

Leave a comment:

• JR Hart
    replied
    some players, like Robbie Thompson and Dickie Thon lost it after a beaning. Jim Ray Hart was hit in the hand by Mike Torrez (who also beaned Thon in 83) and never had any power again.

Dean Chance lost the 67 season finale at Boston and fell apart. I don't know what happened to John "The Count" Montefusco, but he faded after 2 good years.

Leave a comment:

• RubeBaker
    replied
    Originally posted by Cowtipper View Post
    Rube Baker
    I feel ashamed for not having thought of this....

But the character was based on Mets catcher Mackey Sasser who suddenly started struggling with his throws to the mound after a home plate collision in the early 90s.

No playboys helped him out though. He retired a few years later still struggling to get the ball back to the pitcher.
    Last edited by RubeBaker; 09-25-2012, 04:04 PM. Reason: my grammar sucks

Leave a comment:

• Yankillaz
    replied
    Anyone who's not mentally tough enough and gets traded to the Yankees, Boston or Mets. Its too long of a list.

Leave a comment:

• ol' aches and pains
    replied
    Willard Hershberger

Leave a comment:

• Tyrus4189Cobb
    replied
    Justin Duchscherer suffers from severe depression.

It didn't hurt his career, but John Clarkson is an interesting case. As I am at school, I don't have the book on hand, but a player was once quoted discussing the "peculiar" mindset of Clarkson. If teammates or the manager in any way reinforced a bad game he threw, something foolish he did during game, or criticized him, Clarkson would enter the next game very rattled, sometimes to the point where he didn't want to pitch at all. Yet if he was encouraged and coaxed, Clarkson would go out and throw a gem.

Leave a comment:

• dominik
    replied
    Originally posted by Matthew C. View Post
    There have been dozens of can't miss players as can't missy as Bean who missed. Why are we singling out Bean? Was he known to struggle with anxiety issues as a player? I know the movie touched on some of his neurotic behavior a bit, but not much on why he wasn't good as a player.

In the moneyball book they said that beane was a great athlete (beat some famous football running back in a race I think) but not a great player ( I think he even said that himself). they said he dominated HS ball but aready showed signs of his game not scaling in college however scouts ignored that because they would rate "tools" and ceiling (arm strength, bat speed, power, running speed) over actual performance.

they also said he was drafted like 20th but mostly due to signability issues and he was actually the favorite to be drafted first because of his great athleticism.

Leave a comment:

• Biggtone23
    replied
    Depending what exactly happened that night on the train you could say Ed Delahanty fits in the category in a tragic way.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Laser Beam
    replied
    Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post
    I forgot the most recent one in my memory.

AJ Burnett. He had the talent to be great but was a complete headcase in NY.
    And he goes to Pittsburgh and THEN gets great again. Go figure.

Leave a comment:

• Tyrus4189Cobb
    replied
    There have been dozens of can't miss players as can't missy as Bean who missed. Why are we singling out Bean? Was he known to struggle with anxiety issues as a player? I know the movie touched on some of his neurotic behavior a bit, but not much on why he wasn't good as a player.
    I may be incorrect, but I believe Moneyball (the book) briefly discussed OCD and I once heard in a radio interview of a former A's scout that he had some strange, habitual behaviors that seemed related to anxiety. Both cases are weak because they may have been exaggerated or said more in jest. Anyone under Beane's pressure may display great anxiety.

Leave a comment:

• Bothrops Atrox
    replied
    Originally posted by 9RoyHobbsRF View Post
    no Beane does not fit the category

he was the old school - classic baseball prospect, tall thin good looking and fast - and looked good in a uni

he just could not hit
    That was the impression I got from the movie - he just wasn't good enough.

Leave a comment:

• 9RoyHobbsRF
    replied
    no Beane does not fit the category

he was the old school - classic baseball prospect, tall thin good looking and fast and had a good arm - and looked good in a uni

he just could not hit
    Last edited by 9RoyHobbsRF; 09-25-2012, 12:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 9RoyHobbsRF
    replied
    Originally posted by PVNICK View Post
    Has anyone mentioned Steve Blass? Threw a WP to allow George Foster to score the winning run of the playoffs in 1972 and the next season could barely throw a strike (or something very close to that).
    it was Bob Moose who uncorked the wild pitch not Blass

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X