Eric Gagne details PED usage in book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eric Gagne details PED usage in book

Former Cy Young closer Eric Gagne alleges in his new biography that 80 percent of his Los Angeles Dodgers teammates were using performance-enhancing drugs.

Gagne, who set a major league record while converting 84 consecutive save chances, admits that he used human growth hormone over five cycles in a three-year period toward the end of his career.

"It was sufficient to ruin my health, tarnish my reputation and throw a shadow over the extraordinary performances of my career," Gagne says in the French-language book, titled "Game Over: The Story of Eric Gagne."

Gagne won the 2003 Cy Young while converting all 67 of his save opportunities and posting a 1.20 ERA. He had elbow surgery in 2005 and signed as a free agent with the Texas Rangers before the 2006 season. Gagne signed a minor league deal with the Dodgers in 2010, but was released during spring training and hasn't pitched in the major leagues since 2008.

Gagne first admitted publicly to using HGH in 2010.

In the book, Gagne does not provide any names of players he says used PEDs. Baseball began stricter testing in the spring of 2006. Players are subject to HGH testing during spring training and in the offseason, but not during the season.

"I was intimately aware of the clubhouse in which I lived. I would say that 80 percent of the Dodgers players were consuming them," Gagne says in the book.
    http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/mlb/s...mates-were-hgh

I believe it. There was probably a point in time were at least 70% of all major leaguers were on PEDs.
    "Allen Sutton Sothoron pitched his initials off today."--1920s article

Comment

He must've been speaking of 1999 thru 2004. Let's see...Raul Mondesi, Gary Sheffield, Todd Hundley, Eric Karros, Adrian Beltre, Shawn Green, Paul LoDuca, Marquis Grissom, Brian Jordan, Fred McGriff, Jeromy Burnitz, Jayson Werth, Milton Bradley...

Interesting list Eric.
      "I am not too serious about anything. I believe you have to enjoy yourself to get the most out of your ability."-
      George Brett

Comment

No surprise here.
        San Francisco Giants, World Series Champions in 2010, 2012, and 2014!!!

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts" ~ Albert Einstein

"Royals wear crowns, but Champions Kiss the Ring" ~ Jeremy Affeldt

Comment

Is Gagne saying that he only took HGH "at the end of his career" and not during his prime seasons?
          Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
            Is Gagne saying that he only took HGH "at the end of his career" and not during his prime seasons?
            Doesn't everyone. Its combo of the Pettite, only to get back after injuries and the Johan Museeuw (from cycling only at the end to keep up).

Comment

Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
              Found this on Baseballthinkfactory.com

Ok, found an excerpt from the book (in french).

-Started using prior to 2002 season. Really wanted to make the team that year, had a plan to try out as a reliever after failing as a starter, but had a knee injury and wanted to be ready for spring training.
              -Got them from a teammate.
              -Mentions he had two experiences with PED before: in 2000, a teammate put a greenie in his coffee after he complained of tired legs. In 2001, while in the Dodgers clubhouse, heard a discussion between a trainer, a team doctor and an unidentified third person about HGH: Third person (player?) asked about HGH, their effects. He was told that that were undetectable, legal and able to cut recovery time in half.
              Link to excerpt: http://www.entrepotnumerique.com/o/13/p/15723/excerpt

Comment

Thanks for the clarification, fenrir.
                Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Yeah thanks Fenrir. So the article is sloppy and the quote is misleading since Gagne's great seasons began in 2002 which coincides with when he began using.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X